Allow binding controller/joystick axes as buttons

I have an x-input controller that's equivalent to an xbox 360 controller. I love using it for flying planes, but there's one problem. KSP doesn't let me bind the D-pad or analog triggers to functions like landing gear, toggle lights, action groups, etc.

The problem is that KSP detects the D-pad and triggers as axes instead of buttons (axis 5 and axis 6 for the d-pad specifically, and the triggers are weird), so it only accepts it for the axis binding functions.

It seems like it should be valid to bind each direction of an axis to the normal button functions.

For example, axis 5 negative for landing gear, axis 5 positive for lights, axis 6 negative for action group 1, and axis 6 positive for camera mode could be bound like this:

LANDING_GEAR
{
primary = G
secondary = joy0.5-
group = 0
switchState = Any
}
HEADLIGHT_TOGGLE
{
primary = U
secondary = joy0.5+
group = 0
switchState = Any
}
CustomActionGroup1
{
primary = Alpha1
secondary = joy0.6-
group = 0
switchState = Any
}
CAMERA_NEXT
{
primary = V
secondary = joy0.6+
group = 0
switchState = Any
}

Just use a default deadzone of something like 25% or 35%

This is how most games allow binding analog axes to binary commands.

Edited by zarakon

Are you running Windows? You might try a button-mapping program. I'm running Linux and I use Antimicro; works like a charm! Antimicro is also available on Windows, so it might work for you as well. Google it!

Are you running Windows? You might try a button-mapping program. I'm running Linux and I use Antimicro; works like a charm! Antimicro is also available on Windows, so it might work for you as well. Google it!

Yup. I use a program called Xpadder. It turns any controller into a mouse and keyboard. Ive used it for playing Minecraft on Windows with Xbox 360 controllers and the original Half Life which doesnt support gamepads.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.