Please enable science reports in Sandbox!

It's been two major updates since we got the first version of science reports, and all this time, they have been "blocked" in sandbox mode. What do I mean by "blocked"?

*Inspirational orchestral music*

This is it, this is your moment. After all these years of crashing into the VAB, you have finally managed to put your Laythe lander probe on an encounter trajectory. You slam into the atmosphere going at 10 kilometers per second or more, retro rockets fire, heatshield falls on the ocean, and the probe safely touches down on the beach. "What will Laythe's atmosphere do to the mystery goo I have brought along all the way from Kerbin?" you think.

"This experiment is useless with the R&D building closed and all your efforts are fruitless. Have a good day."

And just like that, the game reminds you that all your effort was in vain, because you ain't getting these reports unless you pay for 'em!.

This is a game about space exploration, damnit! I didn't land on Minmus just for a few "science" points, I landed there because I wanted to know what it tasted like!

I have seen a lot of threads come up since the release of 0.22, but SQUAD hasn't given us an official word on the topic. Is it really hard to write a short article about it, or even post a comment on one of these threads?

I was really dissapointed when 0.22 came out because of this, and nothing has changed since then.

I don't want the instant gratification of unlocking parts and getting money, I want to do science for kerbalkind in my whole roleplaying world, and I'm sure I speak for a great part of the community when I say there is absolutely no sense in restricting sandbox players from getting science reports in a game about space exploration.

We're not asking for a tech tree and R&D, just change the "This is meaningless" reports to the REAL ONES. Please!

I too, want a sandbox with all they toys. Many others have suggested and asked for this as well.

Best workaround I have seen is edit the files to give you enough science to unlock everything before your first launch, then run a science only game as a sandbox.

Well heres how.. Make a science save game, go into the config of the save and find The SCI(science) value and set it to a very large number and go back into your save and Unlock all parts and you have a sandbox with Science! Enjoy. :D

If you install the Crowd-sourced Science Logs mod, does it affect the sandbox?

Nope, it doesn't change the sandbox reports, unfortunately. It just adds new career ones.

Well heres how.. Make a science save game, go into the config of the save and find The SCI(science) value and set it to a very large number and go back into your save and Unlock all parts and you have a sandbox with Science! Enjoy. :D

I know it's possible (have done it myself), but it ahouldn't be like that. As I said in the OP, there's absolutely no reason for disabling the reports in sandbox. To add salt to injury, they even had to write the this is useless reports and tell the game to display them instead of the real ones.

Why go through all of that, and then never say a word about it? As far as I know, the devs usually check the suggestions, so why wouldn't they talk to us about it? We've heard them talk about the cancellation of resources (please don't start a flamewar!) and other subjects like other star systems and an aerodynamic update, but I haven't seen an official word on what seems to be a really stupid development mistake.

Btw, thanks for the rep, Sylandro! :)

Nope, it doesn't change the sandbox reports, unfortunately. It just adds new career ones.

I know it's possible (have done it myself), but it ahouldn't be like that. As I said in the OP, there's absolutely no reason for disabling the reports in sandbox. To add salt to injury, they even had to write the this is useless reports and tell the game to display them instead of the real ones.

Why go through all of that, and then never say a word about it? As far as I know, the devs usually check the suggestions, so why wouldn't they talk to us about it? We've heard them talk about the cancellation of resources (please don't start a flamewar!) and other subjects like other star systems and an aerodynamic update, but I haven't seen an official word on what seems to be a really stupid development mistake.

Btw, thanks for the rep, Sylandro! :)

Your welcome.

Let me offer a counter suggestion... Start a career game and play it through until you've unlocked all the tech, after which you will have a sandbox with science. You might be surprised at how much fun it is, and how quickly it goes.

Let me offer a counter suggestion... Start a career game and play it through until you've unlocked all the tech, after which you will have a sandbox with science. You might be surprised at how much fun it is, and how quickly it goes.

This is how I played before career mode. Simply gain all the science and then go play sandbox style. Yah, not starting off with full gear stinks, but isn't too hard to get past. I do agree though, I'd much prefer starting off in sandbox "with" science reports available. I suspect it's not in play due to the mechanics of tracking the science missions. But since science points don't matter, perhaps they can just disable the check for previous completion and provide the "result" of the mission without flagging completion or accumulate any science points.

Well, maybe, but here someone is asking for a feature (or rather for an existing feature to be unlocked) in order to get more enjoyment out of the way they like to play the game. Imo answering by suggesting them to play in a different way instead might be kind of missing the point, since a large part of KSP's appeal comes from the fact that everyone has their own unique way of playing it.

I feel the same as the OP; when career mode first came out, I converted my sandbox save to a career with everything unlocked for that reason. Had long been waiting for science experiments, but didn't want to go through the tech tree and painstakingly unlock everything. I really appreciate that this game is open enough so I could manually edit the persistence file to fit my liking, but I don't see a reason why sandbox players should be denied science experiments by default. Feels like an unnecessary restriction.

It's been two major updates since we got the first version of science reports, and all this time, they have been "blocked" in sandbox mode. What do I mean by "blocked"?

*Inspirational orchestral music*

This is it, this is your moment. After all these years of crashing into the VAB, you have finally managed to put your Laythe lander probe on an encounter trajectory. You slam into the atmosphere going at 10 kilometers per second or more, retro rockets fire, heatshield falls on the ocean, and the probe safely touches down on the beach. "What will Laythe's atmosphere do to the mystery goo I have brought along all the way from Kerbin?" you think.

"This experiment is useless with the R&D building closed and all your efforts are fruitless. Have a good day."

I don't want the instant gratification of unlocking parts and getting money, I want to do science for kerbalkind in my whole roleplaying world, and I'm sure I speak for a great part of the community when I say there is absolutely no sense in restricting sandbox players from getting science reports in a game about space exploration.

We're not asking for a tech tree and R&D, just change the "This is meaningless" reports to the REAL ONES. Please!

I second this!!!!

i agree its quite annoying , and to all smarties who go like o.O why dont you go straigh for carrer instead , he did stated roleplaying, also after all science unlocked its still not sandbox since you may wantot build overbuilt over expensive stuff which will ruin your day once you keep getting blocked by funds, why not only science and not career you may say? that part falls to personel preferences, i think RnD and Mission controll should be unlocked as well in sandbox, their screen sountracks are quite inspiring.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.