Convert unused science points to tweak parts or add power to engines

If one was really good at collecting science points, during a career, then one can finish unlocking all the parts in the tech tree quite rapidly. I felt that, after you do this, there is no more need to collect science points because there's nothing to spend it for.

So I thought about this: why not, after completion of the tech tree, allow science points to be used as currency to make certain parts (i.e engine or fuel tanks) lighter, or some select engines be slightly more powerful than stock. This will simulate "future tech", wherein new materials developed (i.e. graphene, light-strong aluminum-titanium alloys) can make certain parts lighter, and can improve engine performance. This way, there is still incentive to keep collecting science points, to spend on better ship designs that enable the lighter/stronger options when purchasing a part.

Edited by rodion_herrera

I think the general concept of "upgrading parts" has been mentioned before. The most substantive counter-point I recall seeing was that it would make it more difficult compare vessels based on a glance, though we debatably have that issue now with mods (e.g. FAR vs NEAR vs Stock aero, various re-balance mods, etc).

On the one hand, it's already an issue, on the other, it would create a stock source of possible confusion. I'm guessing the devs won't consider adding this kind of function.

Ok let me clarify. The assumption is of course, that this is for the stock career play. Second, the idea is NOT to add more parts but simply, introduce the concept of a modifier. Like in the case of a Hex wargame board, a terrain hex remains as a terrain hex, but you get penalty points (modifiers) when your units travel over it in say, bad weather, etc.

So this is how I envisioned it:

2014-08-04_00031_zpsadb2c714.jpg

There will be a tab on the side of every "tweakable" item in the VAB. Take note that these tabs will only appear AFTER the player has completed the tech tree (i.e. unlocked all available parts). The tab will show available science points left to spend, and up-down arrows to adjust (in the case of above example) the mass of the capsule. The more science points you spend, the lighter the capsule can be, and you can save the points for lightening other parts etc. or for engine power tweaks.

Note that the stock data on a part wouldn't have to be altered at all, because the tweak only gets saved in the players current saved career file(s), so I don't think there's a lot of code reorganization to be done here.

Edited by rodion_herrera

I was thinking about something like this being needed as well, OP. Though I'd go into more detail, giving each part, or each class of part, their own RPG-style talent tree. It wouldn't be very long, but you could, for example, do this for command pods:

tier 1(0): reinforced structure 0/5 (impact resistance), high capacity batteries 0/3

tier 2(5): super-light materials 0/4 (mass reduction), improved heat shields 0/4

tier 3(10): improved capsule design 0/2 (+1 crew capacity)

The most substantive counter-point I recall seeing was that it would make it more difficult compare vessels based on a glance

Why would this ever be necessary outside of something like PvP, of which there is none in Kerbal Space Program? Even games with PvP, like say MMORPGs, have upgradable gear with things like enchantments, gem sockets, etc. none of which can be discerned at a glance by opponents.

Edited by Bomoo

There is already a use planned for extra science.

They are going to let us convert it into Funds (and vice versa)

That sounds nice. However, more money means that you only buy the same stuff. I believe my idea somehow enriches replayability because of the possible changes to your existing lifters/stacks because of the fact that the tweaks you apply via extra science would enhance performance or makes things more efficient.

I think one possible way is to use science to unlock "modifications" to it, instead of letting you tweak specific parameters any number of ways.

Take for example, the current LV-T30 Liquid Fuel Engine and LV-T45 Liquid Fuel Engine. They're very similar. So instead of having two engines, we can have just one engine and can "unlock" various mods for it.

So for example, we unlock LV-T30 Liquid Fuel Engine. And from that engine, we can unlock "mods" such as.

"Atmospheric Nozzle": Increase atm Isp at the cost of vaccum Isp

"Thrust Vectoring": Add thrust vectoring capability, increase cost and slight reduction in thrust.

"Embiggen Alternator": Increase electricity production at the cost of Isp.

"Strip Alternator": Remove electricity production for slight increase in Isp.

"Nu Metal Construction": Reduce engine mass, but increase cost and overheats easier.

Each mod can have a unique component that appears on the engine when active.

I think one possible way is to use science to unlock "modifications" to it, instead of letting you tweak specific parameters any number of ways.

Take for example, the current LV-T30 Liquid Fuel Engine and LV-T45 Liquid Fuel Engine. They're very similar. So instead of having two engines, we can have just one engine and can "unlock" various mods for it.

So for example, we unlock LV-T30 Liquid Fuel Engine. And from that engine, we can unlock "mods" such as.

"Atmospheric Nozzle": Increase atm Isp at the cost of vaccum Isp

"Thrust Vectoring": Add thrust vectoring capability, increase cost and slight reduction in thrust.

"Embiggen Alternator": Increase electricity production at the cost of Isp.

"Strip Alternator": Remove electricity production for slight increase in Isp.

"Nu Metal Construction": Reduce engine mass, but increase cost and overheats easier.

Each mod can have a unique component that appears on the engine when active.

I'd be down for that.

I feel like we've forgotten what these in-game currencies really are. They're "points". After a certain time where you have all the money you'll ever need, a maxed out tech tree, and 100% reputation, all these systems are are classic video game points. And maybe that's okay. At a certain point, Career Mode devolves back to Sandbox, and people had plenty of fun with that.

You still want to get science from celestial bodies after finishing the tech tree because you want your Kerbals to know about space even after there's no application of technology. I believe it is planned to transfer currencies. Science to Reputation, Reputation to money, etc.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79060-The-Career-Mode-Triangle-

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.