How do you know in which biome you are in space ?

Hi,

I'm a beginner in KSP and to get sciences points quickly, I'm using a science checklist.

And it's quite difficult to know in which biome I am when you are in space.

For example, I have to do an EVA report in Tundra in space low, how could i know if i am well above Tundra ?

Edited by Mendabar

As far as I know in the stock game you just have to keep clicking the EVA Report button and see what comes up. You can kinda guess by the land formations you are flying above. If you install Kerbal Engineer Redux (A Mod) one of the screens reports what biome you are flying above.

Yep, it can be difficult in stock. If you're looking for a non-mod solution...

1) I use biome maps (such as this) to see where I want to aim to do my science.

2) Then I will look at Kerbin in "focus" in the map and find that location.

3) Orient the camera so that the orbit line is in the foreground and you're looking straight down onto the target biome.

4) Place a maneuver node on the orbit line directly above the biome.

Sometimes I will also orient my spacecraft so that it points down toward the planet as I'm passing overhead. Then you can use it to sort of "aim" at the target biome to help fine tune it even more during flight.

This gives you a count down and some sort of idea when you'll be right over the top of it, so you can start clicking for science. After some practice, it gets fairly reliable and is easier on Mun because of the craters.

Welcome to the forums. :D

~Claw

KER shows it and Mechjeb has a sort of hidden option to display them as well, you need to customize a window to add it.

You may also like the science library mod, which shows you all the science you can get from the biome you're currently at.

I wrote another mod that does this. VOID, MechJeb and KER all give biome data, but they take up a lot of screen space, so I did a purpose built biome identifier. The window is tiny so you get to see more of the planet.

It also features a de-warper to slow you when you get to a new biome, and you can add biomes you've already visited to a list so that the de-warper isn't activated if there's no new science.

Link in my sig.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.