EmDrive- Modeling Request

Imaginer1

Alright, I just got Unity and I agree with Reign, it looks much cleaner (especially more so than Blender)

I'm going to find out how to import the model I currently have into it and work with it there as per scarsz' suggestion

I always export my blender models as .fbx I seemed to have the best time with that, I originaly did .dae because that was the first tutorial I read said to use. Other tutorials (especially if you have blender animations) work far better with the .fbx .

Make sure you check out http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/25013-Compilation-of-modding-information-links-for-0-19-20-21-22-23-Last-update-24th-Jan

I just started modeling & all that jazz 2 or 3 weeks ago and that forum page, once someone told me about it, was indispensable. (It is now popping up as a most visited page on chrome)

Some of the stuff is old, and rather complicated but once you get the hang of the basics the rest of it starts to make sense.

Edit:

Also I have 2 installs of unity. The last version of Unity 3 and the latest version of Unity 4 (when I downloaded it). I use Unity 3 install for animations & emissives, and Unity 4 for simple parts that require neither.

I always export my blender models as .fbx I seemed to have the best time with that, I originaly did .dae because that was the first tutorial I read said to use. Other tutorials (especially if you have blender animations) work far better with the .fbx .

Make sure you check out http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/25013-Compilation-of-modding-information-links-for-0-19-20-21-22-23-Last-update-24th-Jan

I just started modeling & all that jazz 2 or 3 weeks ago and that forum page, once someone told me about it, was indispensable. (It is now popping up as a most visited page on chrome)

Some of the stuff is old, and rather complicated but once you get the hang of the basics the rest of it starts to make sense.

Edit:

Also I have 2 installs of unity. The last version of Unity 3 and the latest version of Unity 4 (when I downloaded it). I use Unity 3 install for animations & emissives, and Unity 4 for simple parts that require neither.

Thanks so much for your help, man.

I just got unity 4 and I might get unity 3 if I need to make thruster or particle effects (for this mod I'll need neither).

If anyone is interested in helping me texture or something in case I don't figure it out, this is my current model for a Magnetron part. However, when used ingame it is stretched significantly? Like it approximately fits the 3 person command module when I wanted it to fit a small probe body. The height is correct but the width has been significantly increased and I don't know why? I'll be adding a screenshot soon.

Edit: Here are the screenshots.

How it is supposed to appear:

7Ov4aJ6.png

How it does appear:

tltostF.png

Edit: Before you say, yes I know that if it's 1 meter wide I need to scale it 0.5 to make it a probe-sized part but I forgot to do that. It still doesn't fix it.

Edited by Imaginer1

Make sure that in blender you click on the scene button (looks like a cyl and a sphere) on the right hand side and set your measuring to metric. In unity make sure you set the scale to 1 when you click on the imported fbx file & in your cfg make sure the scale is 1. This should avoid any random size variations. If your still having problems, I'm at a loss =)

That's brilliant, Scarsz, I can use it with the magnetron I've already made (assuming the magnetron ends up having a comparable look).

I'll try that now, Reign of Magic ^^

EDIT: Well, I still have the same problem. I set the units to Metric before exporting it and it's still flattened. I posted the .dae (with an incorrect collision mesh heirarchy that i fixed), maybe someone could check it out? the .cfg file has scale=1.

I can understand why it might change size but how come it's physically disformed and not congruent anymore like...?

Edited by Imaginer1

this may be the cause of scale issue. It's good practice to reset all your scales to 100% before exporting. using MODEL{} node will give you complete control over the size in KSP.

PG3mVmm.jpg

MODEL
{
model = YourMod/YourPart/YourPart //.mu part is automatically added at the end.

texture = yourPartTexture, YourMod/YourPart/yourPartTexture //make sure name case and file extension case all match. *.PNG is not the same as *.png;
//repeat this line for all the textures in your mu file.
scale = X, Y, Z
poition = X, Y, Z //omit if it's this is the only MODLE{} node. defaults to your MU's 0,0,0
rotation = X,Y,Z //generally omitted; useful when you are combining multiple MUs into single KSP part
}

in Unity, make sure all scale are set to 1,1,1

in your part config, you want to use "rescaleFactor = 1";

also on the collision mesh; if you want to use convex mesh colliders; the two parts need to be separate; alternative is using combination of unity's capsule and box colliders. you'll also want to reset the scale on the collider objects.

xQKMbWk.jpg

Edited by nli2work

this may be the cause of scale issue. It's good practice to reset all your scales to 100% before exporting. using MODEL{} node will give you complete control over the size in KSP...

Thanks so much for your help, I'm a bit flattered to see you went to all that work and I hope it wasn't too much of a bother!

EDIT: This is just horrid... Now I can get the size right but the collision mesh doesn't work... Oh God. I'm so sorry. Godd! I'm using the KSP PartTools in Unity to add a collision mesh script...

Edited by Imaginer1

if anyone still needs it, here is a badly made, untextured, and generally terrible model I made using sketchup

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2GO65QAXcVZZGJiV1FfbFhxb2s/edit?usp=sharing

im currently working on porting it to KSP, as well as making a lower-poly version

if anyone can texture it that would be great

I can provide it in obj or dae format, just ask

please give credit if you use it ;-;

Edited by mivanit

Oh for God's sakes not this again

@mivanit if I end up using it I will totally credit you!

EDIT: I seriously give up on texturing this thing. I'll post the full model later, and if someone could texture it that'd be swell.

Edited by Imaginer1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.