Kerbodyne Elevator XS: extreme vertical-launch SSTO

Like the efficiency of air-breathing SSTOs, but can't be bothered with all that spaceplane stuff? Got a computer that can handle a moderately chunky part count? Have we got a deal for you...

Ten turbojets and twenty RAPIERs provide all the power you could ever want. Who needs wings? In thrust we trust.

Use the action groups rather than staging, and disable crossfeed on the docking port connecting the lifter to the cargo (self-propelled Rockomax 64 used here as an example) before launch. Action group 8 will disable the RCS on the cargo. Take it vertically to 10,000m then gradually pitch over to 30°. Keep the Vernors off until you need them.

Cautious aerobraking is recommended before descent. Undoubtedly the silliest thing I've ever designed. Handle with care. :cool:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwjph1dijhr8afn/Kerbodyne%20Elevator%20XS%20Stock.craft

screenshot348_zps0f29b5a0.png

Edited by Wanderfound

Looks magnificent! Can you show more pics of it?

I'm limited in screenshots, because the part count is high enough to slow my computer to a crawl, so I've only taken it to orbit once just to make sure it works. I've got a few pics, but many of them are from slightly different versions that I went through while prototyping. But, since you asked:

screenshot334_zpsa331df72.png

screenshot336_zpsed0d3cc4.png

screenshot335_zps32614112.png

screenshot338_zpsb63df7e0.png

screenshot339_zps7f080890.png

screenshot345_zps49b30246.png

screenshot340_zps0ce11a5f.png

screenshot337_zpsb38e4bbe.png

Edited by Wanderfound

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.