Where have you never been?

r4pt0r

Vacuum is an advantage in the design phase for Tylo, nukes let you pack in a lot of dV. Eve is definitely tougher design wise.

Is a Tylo decent plausible for 2 nukes and a lander can? im asking for a friend you know...

Is a Tylo decent plausible for 2 nukes and a lander can? im asking for a friend you know...

There are some successful designs out there. I was never comfortable doing it that way with my piloting skills, personally. When you start dealing with TWRs near 1, the margin of error is quite small. For example, somewhere on the forum a while back, I saw a design that had a Tylo-relative TWR that started out less than 1, and would just start to tick above 1 at the point of landing. Now that's some careful planning.

The easiest method to construct and fly, IMHO, is an asparagus or drop-tank design with chemical rockets that give you a decent TWR. But it will of course be larger and less efficient.

I haven't tried that particular combination, but preliminary calculations look like marginal TWR with 6km/s dV in a single stage. Would be easier in multiple stages or with another engine.

It is, some time ago I managed to land on Tylo and launch back to orbit using such lander of someone's design but it was quite a challenge to keep the fuel usage low enough to finish the task, its low TWR meant I was losing a lot of fuel on keeping my altitude until I clear the horizontal velocity. So I would probably go for more thrust.

The easiest method to construct and fly, IMHO, is an asparagus or drop-tank design with chemical rockets that give you a decent TWR. But it will of course be larger and less efficient.

Drop tank yes, but asparagus is very, very bad idea for a lander. Ironically, I learned that on Tylo.

Edited by Kasuha

Drop tank yes, but asparagus is very, very bad idea for a lander. Ironically, I learned that on Tylo.

? I've had good experiences with asparagus or onion staged Tylo ships, just have to be careful about landing gear placement. I have fallen into the trap of staging away landing gear on the descent.

? I've had good experiences with asparagus or onion staged Tylo ships, just have to be careful about landing gear placement. I have fallen into the trap of staging away landing gear on the descent.

Technically, drop tanks are kind of asparagus staging where you drop tanks with infinitesimally small engines. But if I assume "asparagus" means dropping identical stages consisting of a tank and an engine, then asparagus staging means the ship gradually loses TWR because the payload stays the same and there's just fewer engines to push it. That means you either have way too much TWR when you start, or you don't have enough when you're getting near the landing point.

Asparagus staging is great for ascent phase where you need a lot of TWR initially and gradually less as you're getting to orbit. For landing, you need your TWR to increase, not decrease.

Ah, differing definitions of asparagus. I think of asparagus as any arrangement that draws all fuel from two tanks at a time before staging them away; I tune the TWR change as needed by making the core stage different from the asparagus ring. For my Tylo designs I've had a higher TWR core stage so that overall TWR increases after staging. I definitely agree that a falling TWR is a Bad Idea for descent stages.

I take a very conservative approach overall ( I often play with Remote Tech, which encourages a lot of infrastructure developement before expanding. ) I've been to Jool, but none of it's moons, and I've never reached Dres or Moho. ( I flew by Moho once, but my approach was terrible so I lacked the dV to enter orbit. )

• 2 weeks later...

For me, the game usually crashes before my craft can. I built a stock-part craft which would have dropped a lander with monopropellant descent engines and the large landing legs, which then would drop a rover, like a Skycrane that lands intact. There was a light lander built around a Mk I lander can, with PB Ion engines, linear RCS thrusters and probe landing legs. There were 4 small probes which were deployed in orbit, with 4 seperatrons to give them varying orbits. I have 1-2 in Duna orbit. The rest are in solar orbit. The lander pair didn't have anywhere near enough monopropellant to separate and land properly or safely. It did land 'safely' while docked. I also have performed a 600 m Mün flyby, with 100% more lithobraking. I now realize I have safely landed on Duna, but not on the Mün.

I just today went out of Kerbin SOI for the first time. My unmanned probe is going to orbit the Sun with very low periapsis so I can take some science data from there. I am now close to my Moho window where I will send an unmanned lander to gather some science from there. I had the technology for trips out of Kerbin SOI for quite some time now, but I just wasn't brave enough.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.