Require testing to unlock Tech Nodes

I have been watching "from the Earth to the Moon", one of the things that made an impression on me was the "want my job?" scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZVe8N5uICI

In particular the part where they lay out the milestones they will need to pass before they can get to the moon. I think that something like this would add a lot to career mode, One way that this could be implemented in game is requiring at test flight, with a part that is representative of the node you want to unlock before the node can be unlocked. For example before the 2nd node can be unlocked you would need to do a test of the tr-18a decoupler.

This would also prevent unlocking large parts of the tech tree in a couple flights.

On top of that, it will force a subset of players to do something they don't like, and do it repeatedly. (There have been some complaints about the test contracts.)

The complaints were mostly about pretty "kerbal" test envelopes which i simply consider being funny except those that are really undoable such as clamps on the Mun.

+1 I like the idea. Gives me more to do and kinda makes sense. Probably not for all technologies and not for the first 2 rows or so.

I don't think players should be forced to do part testing before being able to use a part. Honestly I find part test contracts annoying. If you want to test every part before you use it, you can already do that with part testing contracts, but don't force it on the rest of the players.

Assume for a moment that the tech tree was improved, and somehow made slower at the same time. The arrangement would make a little more sense (ladders for your moon lander would not be late on the tech tree, for example).

You might then get some of the tech in the next level, but marked as "experimental." You could use this tech as usual, but it would have a chance of failure. Combined with a "no revert to /launchVAB", you would gain science points by testing this experimental hardware in flight, but it might also cause failures that are interesting. Engines could flame out randomly, decouplers fail in flight, etc. Your mission with X hardware might result in a reduce mission.

Seems pretty kerbal to me.

I don't think players should be forced to do part testing before being able to use a part

Not every part, only one part representative of the nodes.

I think it is silly that someone can fly out and grab 20 soils samples and go from start to nuclear rockets. This doesn't mirror, or simulate, or even form caricature of how advancement is made in space flight technology.

I agree that some of the test conditions in the contracts have bizarre and annoying conditions. If this is done right the conditions should be set to a more reasonable level, nothing beyond kerbin orbit should be required. The test conditions, and part should be matched to the node.

Actually, the nuclear rocket program started in the mid 1950s. The basic technology of rockets is actually already pretty mature. The tech tree concept is sort of OK, but many things were in fact concurrent, and many were jammed into just a couple decades. To be honest, computer technology is what is driving modern rocketry in many respects, both from what is possible in terms of control, as well as simulating novel designs (both airframes and engine types).

Imagine if you started and could launch rockets with fixed launch parameters (one turn, no further control)., then maybe manned flights get that, plus just the (unmarked) navball. You'd have to unlock the "glass cockpit" that we start with now. For interplanetary, you'd have access to the maneuver nodes, etc, but on the ground. You could try probes, but any direct command would be appropriately delayed (you'd be however many seconds behind in knowing where the craft is at, and it would take as long for any corrections to get there). Eventually you get what we have to start in a few tech tiers. In return, you'd probably have more variety in other hardware. but it would be hard to use :)

Not every part, only one part representative of the nodes.

I think it is silly that someone can fly out and grab 20 soils samples and go from start to nuclear rockets. This doesn't mirror, or simulate, or even form caricature of how advancement is made in space flight technology.

I agree that some of the test conditions in the contracts have bizarre and annoying conditions. If this is done right the conditions should be set to a more reasonable level, nothing beyond kerbin orbit should be required. The test conditions, and part should be matched to the node.

Major no.

As has been pointed out every time this comes up, a large portion of players like the test contracts and want them as precise and difficult as possible. Most of the criticisms of "unrealistic" contracts have been based on a misunderstanding of what test pilots actually do, and off-world test contracts provide a reason to revisit single-biome planets that wasn't there before .24.

There are a wide variety of contracts to choose from (and hopefully that variety will increase substantially), so there's no reason why anyone is forced to do a contract that they don't want to do. Expand the choices, don't contract them.

Major no.

As has been pointed out every time this comes up, a large portion of players like the test contracts and want them as precise and difficult as possible. Most of the criticisms of "unrealistic" contracts have been based on a misunderstanding of what test pilots actually do, and off-world test contracts provide a reason to revisit single-biome planets that wasn't there before .24.

There are a wide variety of contracts to choose from (and hopefully that variety will increase substantially), so there's no reason why anyone is forced to do a contract that they don't want to do. Expand the choices, don't contract them.

The point is not to reduce the testing conditions for all contacts, only that the conditions for testing to unlock nodes should be limited in scope so as not to become irritating.

I am not suggesting any change to the current contract mechanic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.