SpaceX's Falcon 9R test rocket just blew up.

Kryten

Oh, wow. I hope the accident is caused by something unique to 9R. I'd hate to see this cause problems for the v1.1. Although, if it is something they have in common, I'm gad it came up during a test launch like this.

I guess that's what tests are for...

It will be interesting to know at what phase of the flight the mishap occured, take-off, hover, or landing. Chances are that the flight termination system self-destructed the rocket because it was veering off-course.

If they can diagnose the problem, losing the F9R-Dev1 vehicle shouldn't have too much impact on their test program because F9R-Dev2 is already under construction.

Edited by Nibb31

The two most likely scenarios, IMO, are guidance failure or they finally found out how many times a Merlin 1D can be successfully restarted. Most likely the termination system did blow it up. They static fired the F9 that's on the pad at the Cape just now, so it's unlikely to affect the upcoming launch.

From this video, it does looks like it started going off-course, nearly horizontal, which caused the FTS to fire:

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Rocket-Explodes-at-Space-X-272370541.html

Apparently, they were testing new actuators on this flight, so that's a likely cause for the deviation.

Edited by Nibb31

Though I don't think a manned rocket would use an automated range safety system. The destruct would only be initiated at the button-press of the range safety officer. And would probably include the firing of the LES to get the astronauts out of dodge first.

After an abort and separation of the capsule, you would still want to destroy the rocket before it hits the ground.

Ah, you're right. I didn't think about the abort procedure. Still, I hope it's reliable enough. I mean, you really want separation than boom, not the other way around.

Chances are that the flight termination system self-destructed the rocket because it was veering off-course.

We know it was the termination system at least;

Three engine F9R Dev1 vehicle auto-terminated during test flight. No injuries or near injuries. Rockets are tricky …

Ah, you're right. I didn't think about the abort procedure. Still, I hope it's reliable enough. I mean, you really want separation than boom, not the other way around.

In some scenarios, it might be worth firing even if it would mean a loss of crew: a rocket hitting an area with people in it will kill more people than are riding on that rocket (yes, I know this is why rockets are launched such that downrange is away from humans; even so, the reason for range safety systems is, ultimately, to prevent the rocket from leaving that downrange area and hitting somewhere with people).

Though I don't think a manned rocket would use an automated range safety system. The destruct would only be initiated at the button-press of the range safety officer.

IIRC, even the space shuttle had a launch termination system. After the Challenger broke up, the range safety officers manually fired the two wayward SRB's flight termination systems. And of course there's the famous video of the Little Joe test of the Apollo LES where the booster failed for real. The LES functioned automatically and flawlessly in that unexpectedly realistic test.

Edit: I just watched the video... That's one expensive ring vortex! Ouch.

Edited by PakledHostage

From this video, it does looks like it started going off-course, nearly horizontal, which caused the FTS to fire:

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Rocket-Explodes-at-Space-X-272370541.html

Apparently, they were testing new actuators on this flight, so that's a likely cause for the deviation.

Compare the above video to the Musk tweet...

Three engine F9R Dev1 vehicle auto-terminated during test flight. No injuries or near injuries. Rockets are tricky...

To be fair, I imagine a boom is the single most effective method for separating capsules from rockets.

I think that would result in the capsule disintegrating along with the rocket. We want the capsule to stay intact, and destroy the wayward rocket before it hits something important, which is why the current abort procedure is used.

A quote from February this year:

Tom Mueller, the head of rocket engine development at Hawthorne-based SpaceX, said there’s been one time he disappointed Elon Musk, the former PayPal co-founder who is head of both the spaceflight startup and electric car maker Tesla Motors.

It was during a test flight of an experimental craft called the Grasshopper, a rocket designed to both take off and land from a vertical position. Last fall, the Grasshopper successfully reached a height of 2,441 feet before landing again, a feat of physics many doubted was possible.

“It didn’t make a crater in the ground like everyone thought it would,†Mueller said. “Elon was a little upset about that. If you don’t crash the thing, you’re not pushing it hard enough.â€Â

Source

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.