[1.0.4] BoxSat vA.02f - Updated 09/16/2015

DasPenguin85

Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which days & time are you more likely to watch a BoxSat development stream on Twitch?

• Day: Friday
    • Day: Saturday
    • Day: Sunday
    • Time: Afternoon
    • Time: Evening

A suggestion for the next version: ModuleManager has the means to only apply patches when required mods are installed; for example, the RT config could have "FOR[boxSat]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]" in the header (or for each part -- I'm not perfectly clear on MM's workings myself). That way, people wouldn't need to think about adding or removing whichever patches correspond to the mods they have installed (especially when adding or removing other mods).

A suggestion for the next version: ModuleManager has the means to only apply patches when required mods are installed; for example, the RT config could have "FOR[boxSat]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]" in the header (or for each part -- I'm not perfectly clear on MM's workings myself). That way, people wouldn't need to think about adding or removing whichever patches correspond to the mods they have installed (especially when adding or removing other mods).

If you look there are 2 CFG for RT for the user to pick from and it's not in the BoxSat mod folder so unless people are just grabbing file's and folders and throwing them in GameData there shouldn't be a problem but yes adding :NEEDS is not bad.

It's true that the installation is not very error-prone, but when I'm removing mods for testing, I don't always remember to remove config files that depend on them. Adding NEEDS statements would disable those files when their dependencies aren't present, making this mod a little more robust.

(That's basically the only obstacle I have to installing this mod -- otherwise, I'm very interested in using them to set up a cheap low-orbit relay network.)

You mean you don't know how to add the :NEEDS to the cfg ?

EDIT- Here are the files with needs for you https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/RT_BOXSAT.zip

EDIT- This is why Modders shouldn't worry about adding files for other mods as no 1 is happy because people can't read how to install they just download unzip and throw it all in the gamedata and then

post they have a problem and not saying you just alot of poeple do that.

Edited by Mecripp2

It's true that the installation is not very error-prone, but when I'm removing mods for testing, I don't always remember to remove config files that depend on them. Adding NEEDS statements would disable those files when their dependencies aren't present, making this mod a little more robust.

(That's basically the only obstacle I have to installing this mod -- otherwise, I'm very interested in using them to set up a cheap low-orbit relay network.)

During the update for 0.25 I looked into using these new features of module manager and was unable to find enough documentation to implement without a bunch of guess and check. It may be that the documentation has improved since then but I have not checked. The NEEDS statement is something I plan to add to our MM files.

You mean you don't know how to add the :NEEDS to the cfg ?

EDIT- Here are the files with needs for you https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/RT_BOXSAT.zip

EDIT- This is why Modders shouldn't worry about adding files for other mods as no 1 is happy because people can't read how to install they just download unzip and throw it all in the gamedata and then

post they have a problem and not saying you just alot of poeple do that.

I know how to add it to the MM files. I don't know the details of how it works and reading the code to understand how it is evaluated takes time. Then testing the result in MM files against this understanding takes more time. I know it's asking for a lot for there to be documentation but I do use it when it's available.

I know how to add it to the MM files. I don't know the details of how it works and reading the code to understand how it is evaluated takes time. Then testing the result in MM files against this understanding takes more time. I know it's asking for a lot for there to be documentation but I do use it when it's available.

Didn't say you didn't for those that didn't.

EDIT- Just don't mix :FOR in it as that make problems in people have the :NEEDS just a FYI

• 2 weeks later...

This mod isn't dead, we'll be maintaining it to whatever versions of KSP Squad releases while I'm recovering / going through more medical tests.

Once I can get the docs to put some duct tape in the right places, we'll resume our normal development until we reach "feature complete".

Just one question... i see that this is compatible with Remotetech 2, but all the antennas made for Boxsats, especially dishes, what are for?

I mean, i wanted to use one of the boxsat dishes and i couldn't even choose who to point it at. It just has a "transmit data" action. Any ideas? thank you :)

Just one question... i see that this is compatible with Remotetech 2, but all the antennas made for Boxsats, especially dishes, what are for?

I mean, i wanted to use one of the boxsat dishes and i couldn't even choose who to point it at. It just has a "transmit data" action. Any ideas? thank you :)

Guessing you have RT2 installed did you pick one of the RT_boxsat cfg from the folder Optional ModuleManager ?

This mod isn't dead, we'll be maintaining it to whatever versions of KSP Squad releases while I'm recovering / going through more medical tests.

Once I can get the docs to put some duct tape in the right places, we'll resume our normal development until we reach "feature complete".

That's great news to hear on the mod side of things! I hope all is well and the medical tests come back with good news. I'm currently in the process of having an ACDF involving about 4 titanium screws and a plate in my neck hopefully scheduled in a week or two.This is the second medical mystery I've had in my life and I'm all of 20 years old; most of the mysteries have taken two or three years so it's been quite rough. So I can promise some people know what you're dealing with, sadly, not all though. Come hell or highwater they expect a mod to be updated EVERY SINGLE DAY it seems. Every case / life is different so one treatment may work from one person, but not the other, as well as recovery time. I hope all goes well man, and even if I'm just some random guy that you barely know, I'm willing to listen to anything.

Anyway. Sorry for the rant, but it's always nice to have someone that can somewhat relate. Have a speedy recovery!

Guessing you have RT2 installed did you pick one of the RT_boxsat cfg from the folder Optional ModuleManager ?

D:

I didn't! Trust me, i've been reading this whole thread and various guides, i've been looking for videos on youtube but i found nothing. Maybe adding a note in the first page of the thread is a good idea :D

Thank you anyways!

I moved RemoteTech_BoxSat into Kerbal Space Program\GameData\BoxSat alpha\Active_ModuleManager_files

right?

Is there a RemoteTech config for 6.4x RSS for BoxSat antennas?

Just add a 0 to the end of the range should work.

EDIT- Whoops you said 6.4 but that will just give them alittlee more range then hehe :D

EDIT- And not to sound rude but that should have been asked in 6.4x RSS OP more then likey someone is using boxsat & RT and has scaled it for that.

EDIT- @komodo to funny :D

Edited by Mecripp2

Just add a 0 to the end of the range should work.

EDIT- Whoops you said 6.4 but that will just give them alittlee more range then hehe :D

EDIT- And not to sound rude but that should have been asked in 6.4x RSS OP more then likey someone is using boxsat & RT and has scaled it for that.

It shouldn't even need that; 6.4x (either of them) properly installed should have a MM patch to alter the range of RT antennas across the board. (Same for scansat too, IIRC)

Can this mod by any chance, get a surface sample scooping part? I've always wanted that on my probes and this boxy look really resembles actual probes that went out to do just that, like the "Hayabusa" from Japan. So I think this is the appropriate mod to suggest this on.

I'm looking forwards to the development of this mod :)

get well soon.

I tried this mod out a little, to find the four available slots inside the box is just too little to accomplish whatever mission I want it to do...

So I would be very grateful if there could be more attachment options, or a side attachment node for adding more boxes to the side to allow for bigger satellites/more equipment slots.

I tried this mod out a little, to find the four available slots inside the box is just too little to accomplish whatever mission I want it to do...

So I would be very grateful if there could be more attachment options, or a side attachment node for adding more boxes to the side to allow for bigger satellites/more equipment slots.

You can stack them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.