[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

Cute as you like :)

Does it use JSI transparency? As that seems to be incredibly resource intensive, quite possible the MOST resource intensive mod fullstop!!

Nope, uses the old SFR code which is permissively licensed so I'll roll it into the USI tools.

Okay, now that's just cute. :D

EDIT- Just noticed the banana. Because, why the heck not? lol

Banana for scale.

gimme gimme gimme!

VERY soon :) It has to coincide with one of those days where I release all of the packs at once because I moved DLLs around. Very likely Friday.

Looks friggin' sweet! Is it called the Dragonfly? :D

On a side note about the configurable cargo tanks: have you considered leveraging ModularFuelTanks for this particular feature? It wouldn't work as well if you want to actively change the textures on the tanks (for me this is only a big deal on the astroid fuel hatches; otherwise i prefer uniform tanks) but it would be very nice for 100% customizable cargo containers, and MFT is a CC-BY-SA license, so... If not as a dependency (which I know you like to avoid) perhaps some reflective coding for those who have it active?

Edited by PaladinVito

Best of both worlds - send me a pull request :)
Pull-what-now? Pull request? What's that? Do I hold a finger in front of you and ask you to pull it? "Pull my finger"

Sorry, I meant to say that I'm a github noob. I hope I didn't mess anything up and that you enjoyed my first time as much as I did. :D

I've put CLS into every part that looked like it had a hatch in the middle. That also included the "outrigger", where it looks like you could pass through from the front to the rear, but not from side to side of course. Unfortunately CLS will not restrict it and so it'll be possible to switch from one trunk to another. mhm, damn.

Looks friggin' sweet! Is it called the Dragonfly? :D

On a side note about the configurable cargo tanks: have you considered leveraging ModularFuelTanks for this particular feature? It wouldn't work as well if you want to actively change the textures on the tanks (for me this is only a big deal on the astroid fuel hatches; otherwise i prefer uniform tanks) but it would be very nice for 100% customizable cargo containers, and MFT is a CC-BY-SA license, so... If not as a dependency (which I know you like to avoid) perhaps some reflective coding for those who have it active?

Question: What behavior are you looking to get? I'm not familiar with MFT (though I know people have tossed me configs for it for things like Karbonite)?

That thing is just adorable :D

And i Love the Banana :D

For scale!

Pull-what-now? Pull request? What's that? Do I hold a finger in front of you and ask you to pull it? "Pull my finger"

Sorry, I meant to say that I'm a github noob. I hope I didn't mess anything up and that you enjoyed my first time as much as I did. :D

I've put CLS into every part that looked like it had a hatch in the middle. That also included the "outrigger", where it looks like you could pass through from the front to the rear, but not from side to side of course. Unfortunately CLS will not restrict it and so it'll be possible to switch from one trunk to another. mhm, damn.

Thank you for making my job easier :D

Question: What behavior are you looking to get? I'm not familiar with MFT (though I know people have tossed me configs for it for things like Karbonite)?

With MFT it would allow us to totally customize the tank which carries fuel, i.e. instead of "choose a resource that is predetermined and is kind of difficult to add more options to" (as in how the system works now), you could choose what kind of fuel is in the tank, or you could have several kinds of fuel in the tank simultaneously. MFT configs would also allow for very easy resource additions, allowing the tanks to be able to carry things from other mods very simply.

TL;DR: MFT allows for multiple fuel types in a single tank simultaneously.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by PaladinVito

Like for TweakScale, I'm pretty much only a fan MFT as something mod debs would integrate themselves: it makes total sense for, say, Talisar's spherical and toroidal containers for certain fuels or cargo, but assuming the same kind of tank can hold hydrogen and xenon is a bit off. It's totally possible to balance it, of course, especially if it had tech-level limitations (I don't think it has them now?), but even aesthetically it bothers me a bit.

As a mod-support tech it's awesome though. Together with Firespitter texture switch it makes Talisar's pack shine.

Like for TweakScale, I'm pretty much only a fan MFT as something mod debs would integrate themselves: it makes total sense for, say, Talisar's spherical and toroidal containers for certain fuels or cargo, but assuming the same kind of tank can hold hydrogen and xenon is a bit off. It's totally possible to balance it, of course, especially if it had tech-level limitations (I don't think it has them now?), but even aesthetically it bothers me a bit.

As a mod-support tech it's awesome though. Together with Firespitter texture switch it makes Talisar's pack shine.

Resources and tanks can be customized to adjust according to what's being put in them. For instance, pressurized substances like Xenon and Monopropellant add more dry mass to a tank (to account for the stuff required to keep it pressurized) by default. I did something similar with MFT and Near Future Propulsion by adding Argon as a possible fuel type (similar modifiers to Xenon). But personally, I like a nice uniform texture across most of my crafts, so being able to use a single tank type for several kinds of fuel is appealing to me.

Well, I said that it's possible to balance, but actually I think it makes no sense whatsoever for a hydrogen or xenon tank to look like a kerolox one :-) But really, my grudge isn't against the optional compatibility, but against the mods shipping with configs for all the mods bundled in them, which causes trouble when mods change versions, bundle own configs, or I just want to curate what I want or not. Anyhow, I feel this might be a bit OT.

0.1.2 is up!

• KSP-AVC integration
  • No longer dependent on Karbonite
  • Updated the propfan - better thrust, huge power consumption increase, slight gimbal, slight mass increase
  • CLS integration
  • Tech tree update
  • Updated engine cowling nodes to not include duplicates. Should not break stuff, but hilarity may ensue.

0.1.2 is up!

• KSP-AVC integration
  • No longer dependent on Karbonite
  • Updated the propfan - better thrust, huge power consumption increase, slight gimbal, slight mass increase
  • CLS integration
  • Tech tree update
  • Updated engine cowling nodes to not include duplicates. Should not break stuff, but hilarity may ensue.

You're mental Rover :D In a very positive way, but still mental :P

That said, first post still says that Karbonite is required so you probably should edit it to avoid confusion :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.