[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

I can add that as an option, but it'll still probably cause issues with the extended antenna. What I really want to do is add the ability to turn RemoteTech signal requirements on and off in a simulation. Then you can do stuff around Eeloo without worrying about signal, or can try manually landing your lander, or can just extend your antenna manually once the orbit has been set. I've looked into the API a bit, but haven't discovered any easy way of doing it. Might just ignore the API all together and make changes on the actual RemoteTech instance loaded into the game.

The ability to turn off RT during simulations would be awesome. Testing a rover skycrane lander powered by kOS is something I'm having to switch to a sand box and do right now.

Hmmm, the launch pad reconditioning bottleneck is interesting, but it would be nice to have an option of doing what NASA did, and build multiple launch pads. That would be a bit beyond the scope of this mod, though.

Actually, that isn't a bad idea. Could use upgrade points to purchase a second launchpad. This could be accomplished by adding another reconditioning queue. Of course I would make it quite a few points for the upgrade. That way you could still launch smaller rockets while reconditioning one pad after a major launch is still going. Possibly even with an option of a limit(upgradable) of BP on the second pad.

Actually, that isn't a bad idea. Could use upgrade points to purchase a second launchpad. This could be accomplished by adding another reconditioning queue. Of course I would make it quite a few points for the upgrade. That way you could still launch smaller rockets while reconditioning one pad after a major launch is still going. Possibly even with an option of a limit(upgradable) of BP on the second pad.

The plan is to spend funds and/or science to purchase additional pads, which start with the level 1 launchpad restrictions and can be upgraded for the same funds amounts as normal launchpad upgrades. I might remove or reduce reconditioning requirements for lower tier launchpads (they're simpler to fix). So it might be beneficial to have a low tier launchpad for small launches.

Also, then I can physically change the launchpad to the right tier when you launch :)

Thank you for the reply Magico13. I wasn't aware of that feature.

No problem. I like discussing ideas for how to handle procedural parts because I'm not 100% sold on the current method. It still allows for flexibility, but doesn't really promote any sort of standardization. A hybrid system where you can recover procedural parts as-is and use identical ones like you would with the normal inventory, but then also break them into procedural scrap to make other parts (with a longer time requirement). So you could recover a 1.25 by 5 meter fuel tank and then use it as a 1.25 by 5 meter fuel tank for 1/100 of the "effective cost", or you could scrap it and turn it into a 1.25 by 2.5 meter fuel tank for 1/10 of the "effective cost".

It'd require a rework of the inventory system, which I've actually got a working model that I can use as a base.

The ability to turn off RT during simulations would be awesome. Testing a rover skycrane lander powered by kOS is something I'm having to switch to a sand box and do right now.

Agreed. When I get the chance, I'll look into it more. The worst for me is when you start a probe in orbit (maybe just to test if there's an unreasonable amount of torque from a non-central center of mass, or maybe to test a landing script) and it doesn't spawn within signal range. Then, since you can't open the solar panels, the battery dies and the whole thing was a waste. Had that happen a number of times :(

Regarding special features of simulations, in the dev versions of KCT you can disable part failures from the TestFlight mod (and re-enable them later if you want). I'll be doing a bit more with TestFlight when I get the chance, like letting you keep some of the flight data from simulations, since KCT makes it hard to actually test things without building them first.

Has anyone else experienced a crash when recovering ships through the KCT menu? I just reverted a flight to launchpad a couple of times after experiencing some...difficulties, and after deciding I needed to revise the design, tried to recover from the launchpad with KCT instead of the stock recovery button. Instant crash to desktop. magico13, I've got a crash log if you're interested, but I'm running a fair amount of mods, so I'm not sure if it's a problem with KCT or not. Hence the question: anyone else have this problem?

Send the log my way anyway and I'll take a look at it in the morning. There's a pretty good chance it's KCT related, since that recovery code can cause some interesting problems (but I haven't seen a crash to desktop from it yet). I generally advise quick saving before using it (in fact, I think I'm going to make KCT make a quick save before it runs that code in the future).

Hopefully your save is still good (it probably is). I wrapped that code in try-catch blocks last update to prevent any errors from disrupting things too much.

Is there any way to adjust how long launch pad reconditioning takes? I looked through the settings and the config file and could not find anything. I know you can turn it off, but I don't want to do that. I just want to shorten the time.

Edited by MerlinsMaster

I hope this link works for you:

The link worked fine :) So, where the crash occurred was after KCT would have recovered the ship. It's definitely possible they're related, but the log unfortunately doesn't really say anything that I can comprehend (usually it just lists errors [which I can generally read], crashes to desktop are pretty rare for reasons other than hitting the memory limit, and the memory limit wasn't the issue here). I'd just load it back up (maybe backup the save first) and see if anything got messed up. If it happens again under the same circumstances, let me know and I'll look into it more. Might have just been a one-time fluke.

Is there any way to adjust how long launch pad reconditioning takes? I looked through the settings and the config file and could not find anything. I know you can turn it off, but I don't want to do that. I just want to shorten the time.

So, you actually have a few options. I'll list them from least likely to be what you're looking for, to most:

1) Adjust the rollout/recon. split to keep the total time constant but move more of it into rolling out the vessel rather than fixing the pad.

2) Lower the Max Reconditioning setting (under Time Settings in the KCT settings menu) to reduce the maximum amount of time that reconditioning can take.

3) Or, under the clearly labelled "Launchpad reconditioning" setting in the Time Settings, increase the mass listed there. By default it should be something like 86400 BP per 50 tons. Increase that to 100 tons to halve the reconditioning time. Set it to 25 to double it. Etc.

In-game ways of reducing reconditioning times:

1) Use a smaller rocket. Reconditioning is directly related to mass. The more massive the rocket, the longer the reconditioning time. Using the smallest rocket needed will keep the time short.

2) Upgrade your VAB rates. The rate at which reconditioning completes is all of the VAB rates added together. So a single fast rate of 2 BP/s means reconditioning will complete at 2 BP/s. Two rates of 1.5 BP/s means reconditioning will complete at 3 BP/s.

Hope that helps!

Hey magico13,

I forgot to post this last weekend, but just wanted to let you know that TestFlight 1.3 is out officially now. I know you had support in your dev branch but not sure if that has gone live yet?

Hey magico13,

I forgot to post this last weekend, but just wanted to let you know that TestFlight 1.3 is out officially now. I know you had support in your dev branch but not sure if that has gone live yet?

Awesome! It hasn't been pushed into the official release yet, since I don't make official releases very frequently unless I've got several important bug fixes or sizable new features. I'm halfway through a new feature, but depending on if I get any time to work on it this weekend it might still be a few weeks.

I also want to add a few more TestFlight related things before I do a full release ;)

Awesome! It hasn't been pushed into the official release yet, since I don't make official releases very frequently unless I've got several important bug fixes or sizable new features. I'm halfway through a new feature, but depending on if I get any time to work on it this weekend it might still be a few weeks.

I also want to add a few more TestFlight related things before I do a full release ;)

Gotcha. No worries :)

So, you actually have a few options. I'll list them from least likely to be what you're looking for, to most:

1) Adjust the rollout/recon. split to keep the total time constant but move more of it into rolling out the vessel rather than fixing the pad.

2) Lower the Max Reconditioning setting (under Time Settings in the KCT settings menu) to reduce the maximum amount of time that reconditioning can take.

3) Or, under the clearly labelled "Launchpad reconditioning" setting in the Time Settings, increase the mass listed there. By default it should be something like 86400 BP per 50 tons. Increase that to 100 tons to halve the reconditioning time. Set it to 25 to double it. Etc.

In-game ways of reducing reconditioning times:

1) Use a smaller rocket. Reconditioning is directly related to mass. The more massive the rocket, the longer the reconditioning time. Using the smallest rocket needed will keep the time short.

2) Upgrade your VAB rates. The rate at which reconditioning completes is all of the VAB rates added together. So a single fast rate of 2 BP/s means reconditioning will complete at 2 BP/s. Two rates of 1.5 BP/s means reconditioning will complete at 3 BP/s.

Hope that helps!

Step 2 was what I was looking for. Thanks, man! Awesome mod, btw! Before this, I was slaving over a giant spreadsheet that kept track of this stuff. Spent more time updating the spreadsheet than playing the game. :rolleyes:

Step 2 was what I was looking for. Thanks, man! Awesome mod, btw! Before this, I was slaving over a giant spreadsheet that kept track of this stuff. Spent more time updating the spreadsheet than playing the game. :rolleyes:

I know that feeling, I spend way more time working on KCT than I do playing KSP :P I occasionally take some time off from it just to play and get a sense of how things work and what needs rebalanced, but usually if I've got time I'm going to spend on KSP things, it's on updating this mod.

So I ran into an issue, but I've no idea what happened. I'm trying to launch a plane from a different runway using Kerbinside, but after the launch loads, I get a message saying that there was an error trying to read KCT data, and the game is unplayable. This hasn't happened before (I've successfully launched from the same runway before, both simulations and real launches at that runway). I think it has something to do with Kerbinside and KCT interacting, since it worked after going into the SPH and changing the launchsite to Green Coast (where the plane was intended to launch from) and simulating a launch there.

Here's the logfile from the failed launch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtbl2qkoyn2ghiv/Player.log?dl=0

Note: I did not go back and recreate the error with a clean install of KCT.... because I don't know what the error was in the first place, so don't know how to recreate it.

It's hard to tell what initially caused the error, but if you've launched there without error before then it might just be a one time thing. If it keeps happening, let me know and I'll look into it more.

That message pops up whenever anything prevents KCT from loading it's data (during the OnLoad event). Usually it's from another mod encountering an error, which prevents all other mods from loading properly. FMRS logged a similar error, Kerbal Alarm Clock logged an error early on in the scene change, but the one that sticks out most is below (along with some other log entries that were nearby). I can't tell which mod caused it, but it looks like it might be because you didn't go into any editors first (VAB/SPH).

Loading ship from file: /media/SteamLinux/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/../saves/SETI/Ships/temp.craft

RemoteTech: Loading Flightcomputer from persistent!

KIS Spare Parts loaded!

ArgumentNullException: FacilityName is not a valid Space Center Facility name!
Parameter name: pSystemFacility
at EditorEnumExtensions.GetFacility (.SpaceCenterFacility pSystemFacility) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at FlightDriver.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Activating BetterBuoyancy EVA Watcher

[BetterTimeWarp]: Set time warp rates to 1, 5, 10, 50, 100, 1000, 10000, 100000,

[BetterTimeWarp]: Set time warp rates to 1, 2, 3, 4,

That message pops up whenever anything prevents KCT from loading it's data (during the OnLoad event). Usually it's from another mod encountering an error, which prevents all other mods from loading properly.

Ah, OK. I don't know how these things do their magic, but that makes sense.

it looks like it might be because you didn't go into any editors first (VAB/SPH).

OK, that would make sense. I'm pretty sure the only thing I did before trying to launch (since loading the game) was adjusting the flight of a probe in space.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is wrong with launching a craft without going into an editor first? (Aside from the fact that without KCT, that can't actually happen)

Forgive my ignorance, but what is wrong with launching a craft without going into an editor first? (Aside from the fact that without KCT, that can't actually happen)

I have no idea actually. A mod (could have been KCT, could a have been something else) apparently tried to do something based on the last editor that was used. You actually can do that in stock, clicking on the launchpad or runway normally let's you launch without going into an editor (with KCT installed it starts a simulation).

I'll try to double check to make sure it's not KCT causing the issue, but if the issue happens again and you haven't entered an editor that session, try to do so in the future :)

You actually can do that in stock, clicking on the launchpad or runway normally let's you launch without going into an editor (with KCT installed it starts a simulation).

Is there any way to override the launch pad's launch button to let you build the ship in KCT without having to go through the VAB or run a simulation?

Is there any way to override the launch pad's launch button to let you build the ship in KCT without having to go through the VAB or run a simulation?

Not right now. I've been thinking of ways to do that though, since it'd be convenient. Might make my own GUI because it'd be easier to have all the features I want but my GUI skills aren't all that great :rolleyes: