[Abandoned] CxAerospace: Aeroshells and Lander Chassis (Source Files Released)

cxg2827

Ascent vehicle will be a bit modular. I was thinking command pod lower coupling, Storage trunk with fuel tanks and trusses connected as one piece.

Engines will be an individual part so it can be attached to the ascent vehicle and to to the lander based on what configuration you are assembling.

I was able to get some more info on the cargo lander from ChrisPBacon82, so I had a better picture of how the lander looked like from other angles. A big thanks to him for helping me out!

What was the source of that information? Do you have any links?

Just about everything I've seen had the legs identical front and back except that the front legs were were extended more to compensate for the height differential. (ugh sorry for the large image... not sure how/if I can shrink this down. Maybe I'll copy it to Imgur where I have better control. Edit: There, done.)

bwdlMP3l.jpg

Edited by Starwaster

What was the source of that information? Do you have any links?

Just about everything I've seen had the legs identical front and back except that the front legs were were extended more to compensate for the height differential. (ugh sorry for the large image... not sure how/if I can shrink this down. Maybe I'll copy it to Imgur where I have better control)

check this document, it has some better perspective pictures.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9833.0;attach=240059

Did a quick texture of the AV parts (except the engines). I need to make the trunk a bit wider. Too skinny and doesnt look right. Bumping it up from 1.2m diameter to about 1.5m.

405 units of liquid fuel, 495 oxidizer. no trouble getting into orbit on duna

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Thanks, I was missing that document. Too bad it doesn't have the habitat lander. I wonder if there's one that shows it?

Also... anyone else reading that and a little skeptical about launching the transhab with an upside down Orion attached? I hope they planned on securing it a little better than that diagram depicts :P

Thanks, I was missing that document. Too bad it doesn't have the habitat lander. I wonder if there's one that shows it?

Havent been able to find any documentation on the habitat. But, the video has enough detail to model it. the rear looks like it replaces the ramp with radial cargo containers.

jP6BV8n.jpg

seX8EwQ.jpg

Got the trunk and trusses re-scaled and did some better texturing. From the pictures it looks like the whole trunk section is carbon fiber, not gold foil. Got the RL10s in the game and now need to do texturing and the animation. Need to start trying out normal mapping as well.

Did you tone down the texture on the tanks or is it just a difference in lighting?

Might be lighting as well as no more foil on the trunk, so doesnt look so busy.

Got the main frame section down to the least common denominator for the lander and habitat. Lots of colliders needed due to the hoops and the upper level racks. But, it doesnt seem to bog down in the game according to FRAPS. Was getting 36 fps on my computer with a 6 yr old AMD phenom 9850BE CPU

Minor (hopefully) request:

Make the foil covered portions a separate mesh to make it easier to target with the reflective shader plugin. (if not, it can be masked through alpha but then that means that alpha can't be used for separate specular)

Looking good! Been a F5 party here, looking forward to more updates and return of the download link. The prototype has been fun to play with.

I'm actually in the process of redoing the aeroshells with better textures right now. I'm making the 5M version, and from there I can just rescale to get the 2.5m and 3.75m ones.

Minor (hopefully) request:

Make the foil covered portions a separate mesh to make it easier to target with the reflective shader plugin. (if not, it can be masked through alpha but then that means that alpha can't be used for separate specular)

Sure, I'll do that.

Can't wait! I don't even use NEAR or FAR, but I think this is awesome! If you need any (stock aerodynamics) testers, I volunteer!

When I post the download link again, you can test away :)

Looks nice, just don't make it too stockalike (especially since even stock seems to be moving towards NASA aesthetic). We've got some very realistic Copernicus parts out there, it'd go perfect with them.

Looks nice, just don't make it too stockalike (especially since even stock seems to be moving towards NASA aesthetic). We've got some very realistic Copernicus parts out there, it'd go perfect with them.

Not going to have it much like stockalike textures. Definitely want it to seem mostly clean and aligned with NASA aesthetics.

Here is a bit of what I am going for. any suggestions are welcomed. Mostly coloring and general outlines right now (normal mapping later). I also modified the base plate. It will be a docking port, and i will see if i can attach a smaller one recessed within it and still have it dock properly. I will make a complimentary female port as well to mesh with this one cleanly.

I don't see why one would go to the effort to model something that can be simulated with mapping and textures, especially if they are only going to be seen in VAB and for maybe 75 frames in a jettison animation. I've seen some fakery that have made me stop and expend quite a bit of effort to figure out if it is "live or memorex".

I don't see why one would go to the effort to model something that can be simulated with mapping and textures, especially if they are only going to be seen in VAB and for maybe 75 frames in a jettison animation.

Same thought I was having.

Tested the docking port. It still couples properly even with the smaller port attached inside.

Just a hunch but I think he took it down because he's pretty much completely reworking the chassis parts for the lander.

Yup, this.

I've also altered the aeroshells a bit as well. I should have the link back up soon. Shell sections and base plate are about 95% ready, but I still want to make the female docking port to compliment the one in the album above.

Yup, this.

I've also altered the aeroshells a bit as well. I should have the link back up soon. Shell sections and base plate are about 95% ready, but I still want to make the female docking port to compliment the one in the album above.

Interesting. Looks somewhat like the docking rings I had for Copernicus before ...

Interesting. Looks somewhat like the docking rings I had for Copernicus before ...

Just checked out your Copernicus thread. Similar resemblance. I've mostly been trying to copy the look and texture from video. Not sure if it makes it look too busy or not.

Ik8ZZMe.jpg

Also, just added the winglet module to the lower aeroshell pieces, and it helps it come in at a high AOA on aerocapture/entry. with just the part module before it would hold nose toward prograde and would be hard to budge.

ZBF0lmE.png