Rescue Eva From Orbit

hi

i tried and tried but it never worked

im near from him about 1km but then everything become hard

My Question is ?

How i safe Kerbal in eva that have been spawned in orbit cause a mission

bye

Edited by EnderSpace

You need to get within 100m (you don't really but it's easier) and use [ and ] to switch to the Kerbal. R activates his jet pack and you can jet him closer to the ship and board it using F. This is assuming you have an empty seat in a command module.

Check out the tutorials on rendezvous if you need some general guidelines

EDIT: You need to come to a complete stop next to the Kerbal. You will never be able to rescue him if you don't. Click the speed indicator box on the nav ball until it says 'target' . then point your ship retrograde and burnuntilit reads 0. Also you need to target the Kerbal for this to work. Do this in map view?

Edited by Cerberus738

You need to get within 100m (you don't really but it's easier) and use [ and ] to switch to the Kerbal. R activates his jet pack and you can jet him closer to the ship and board it using F. This is assuming you have an empty seat in a command module.

Check out the tutorials on rendezvous if you need some general guidelines

EDIT: You need to come to a complete stop next to the Kerbal. You will never be able to rescue him if you don't. Click the speed indicator box on the nav ball until it says 'target' . then point your ship retrograde and burnuntilit reads 0. Also you need to target the Kerbal for this to work. Do this in map view?

Treat the Kerbal like you would any other object you were trying to dock with, then switch when you are close enough. If you do not know how to dock, I would strongly recommend practicing in sandbox mode. Naturally, you should always bring a little RCS fuel and RCS thrusters.

Treat the Kerbal like you would any other object you were trying to dock with, then switch when you are close enough. If you do not know how to dock, I would strongly recommend practicing in sandbox mode. Naturally, you should always bring a little RCS fuel and RCS thrusters.

ok i promise you to learn since i dont know docking only i set him as target and fire to him lol :P

I usually just get within 2k, going under 10-20 m/s (hopefully in the right direction) and switch. Just be sure to have an idea where your rescue ship is, select it from map view after the switch, then face it and negate your velocity that's not straight towards it and you should be pretty well off. Note that facing something is a matter of rotate camera, hit space bar. Hopefully you matched orbital planes so you have an easier search to pick up on the ship ... that makes it just checking a circle instead of a sphere.

Oh, and don't forget to slow down when you start getting close, just thrust backwards and fix any side-to-side or vertical problems.

I'm bragging but I once rescued an EVA without using any ounce of monopropellant, I was just close enough for him to catch the ladder.

As said it's just like docking replacing a ship by an EVA, and the more you understand orbital mechanic the easier it get.

However if you are new at that you should aim to be less than 500m away, less than 200m preferably.

Never done docking, eh? Well, it's not that hard, and EVA rescues aren't that hard either. Biggest trick is making sure Jeb doesn't sneak into the rescue capsule while you're not looking...

(Go to the pad straight from the VAB and make sure to use the controls before you hit "launch" that will let you pilot the craft unmanned - it's the blue one to the left of your craft name that looks like a Kerbal).

So, since it's your first rodeo, you want a rescue craft with about 1000 m/s of delta-V give or take. Usual accoutrements - you'll want a probe core to handle the unmanned portion of the flight (Stayputniks work just fine), a batt or two to support it (A Z-200 or a few Z-100s will do just fine) and maybe an OX-STAT panel or four if I've got them, a Mk1 Capsule, a couple of radial chutes (two or three), and a decoupler on the bottom for chucking off your engines once you've done your de-orbit burn. You also want RCS - tanks for the fuel and thruster blocks. You're going to want 8-12 blocks for your first rodeo - that'll be a quad at the top of the payload, a quad at the bottom, and a quad as close to the center of mass as you can get them (this set helps with translation, and there's folks that will tell you that you don't need these - take them or don't as you will). Below your decoupler, an FL-T400 tank and a 48-7S engine should give you more delta-V than you'll need; if you don't have the 48-7S you can take an LV-909, or even an LV-T45 set to about 1/4 thrust. The idea there is that you have an engine for rendezvousing with enough delta-V to handle screwups. Build whatever booster you want for the whole contraption.

Okay, so rendezvousing comes first. First thing - target the Kerbal and wait until he is about 500,000 meters uprange of KSP (give or take) before launch. I find that waiting until then minimizes the amount of orbits you need until you get a close pass. Look at the Kerbal's altitude at that time; that's your target launch apoapsis. Launch and circularize like normal. Next thing next - you want to find a little marker that says AN or DN, and if you hover over that it should indicate a number of degrees. This is the seperation between your orbital plane and the Kerbal's. Set up a maneuver node at one of these two points and pull on the little purple indicators (the normal/anti-normal controls). If the number of degrees gets bigger, pull on the OTHER purple indicator - you want this number to go DOWN. Preferably to 0.0 or NaN (NaN is so dead on the game's programming language barfs). Make the indicated burn and be as precise as you can.

Once you're in the same plane, the next thing to do is find your "closest approach" chevrons - this will tell you how close you're going to come to the Kerbal on the next pass. You want to get this number down as low as you can - what you do then is set up a maneuver node at the next apsis and pull prograde. See what kind of effect that has on the distance - if it increases, pull retrograde (just make sure that when you do this your periapsis doesn't go below 70,000; you can't rescue the Kerbal if your ship dives back into the atmosphere first). If the distance decreases, keep pulling until it starts increasing, then stop. Make the indicated burn. Set up another node at the next apsis, wash and repeat. Keep this up until you can't reduce the distance any more. If you still haven't got a close pass (2.2 km or closer) and you're getting no effect at the apses, try setting up at the midpoint between the apses. Eventually, you'll either get it or you won't; if your rendezvous engine runs out of delta-V, go ahead and use RCS to de-orbit and try again.

If you get the rendezvous, then you're on to the "docking phase". You want your speedometer in Target mode at that point, and you're going to want to zero out your velocity (just burn retrograde) about the time you make your closest approach to the Kerbal. At that point, you need to find a pink meatball on the nav ball. This shows you the direction to the Kerbal. Aim toward it and thrust slowly ahead. You can use RCS at this point or give a low puff with your main thrusters to close the distance further. You want to keep it slow; 5 m/s or so is generally plenty fast when you're a few hundred meters out, 1 m/s within the last 100 meters. Since you're wanting to do a rescue, you want to get generally no closer than about ten meters or so and keep it slow. Use RCS to maneuver primarily; WASD to rotate, H and N to translate forward and backward (i.e. speed up and slow down). Use caps locks to turn on fine control if you find you've got too much RCS thrust. Once you're within ten meters or so, slow down to zero relative velocity. Quicksave. Then hit one of the bracket keys.

You should be in control of the Kerbal at this point. Hit L to turn on his headlamp, then R to activate his rocket pack. Controls are LEFT-SHIFT/LEFT-CTRL for up and down, W/S to go forward/backward, and A/D to burn left/right. You're looking for the command pod hatch. Just keep your puffs slow. When the Kerbal's close enough, use F to grab, then F again to board.

From there, burn to de-orbit, dump off your rendezvous engine once you're definitely flying, and pop the chutes when you're ready.

Good luck; let us know how it turns out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.