Animation Help

I'm working on another part and I need a way to either stretch a mesh or something similar to fill a gap between two parts, one moving, one static. Here's an idea of what I'm working on.

O6wuFuB.png

I could add a complicated set of links, like plate armor, that expands as the nozzle rotates, but that would be a pain and would increase poly count a lot. Is that my only option though?

FYI, I'm going to use AnimateGeneric, no plugins.

Hiya, The only other way I could see it being doable, and something I do quite a bit is use a sphere anchored to the nozzle pivot, and just cut away what you dont need, with luck you could pull it off with 5 parts, body nozzle sphere pivot and what looks like doors in your piccy., and if it all fits nicely you may be able to attach the sphere permanently to the nozzle making for less animated parts

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

You can do with with a skinned mesh quite easily. I honestly have no idea how to do it in Blender, but this might give you some pointers:

http://vimeo.com/21942950

Rather than animating the mesh rotations themselves, you'll just need to animate the links that will then move the 'skin'. You'll have to get used to the terminology, this kind of thing is often used with animated bones that move the mesh of characters. Be aware that you will get some stretching effects, and honestly don't obsess over the poly count if you need to add a few more to get it to look right. Unity is pretty slick.

It's not easy, I'm afraid, but an incredibly useful tool once you've got used to it. Hopefully that gets you started.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.