How do I get to duna?

Ok so I'm sending a multipart ship to duna for the first time (also in carrer mode:wink:) and I do not understand how to calculate dV, so giving eme an equation wont help. If your wondering the ship specs, it has to NERVAs one jumbo 64 tank shared by the to engines, and with two of the long fueltanks ment for small ships (the engines have their own, not two each.)

EDIT: I know how to get there, I'm just wondering if it has enough fuel.

Edited by MrWalrus123

If you don't know how to calculate dV there's really not a whole lot we, as a community, can do other than give you the dV equation, which really isn't that hard to solve. Alternatively you can take a look at Kerbal Engineer and a dV map to figure it out. dV is dependent on the mass ratio of fuel to rocket. The more fuel you have (mass wise compared to your rocket) the more dV you have. The heavier your rocket (That's not fuel) the less dV you have.

Not enough information given to calculate delta-V. If you can give the total mass of your craft (given in the vessel tab in Map view) I can calculate it for you if you don't want to see the equations.

As the other responses above say, you would probably be better served by installing a mod that calculates it for you. I prefer Kerbal Engineer Redux, but MechJeb, VOID and possibly others will do the same.

That does make it a bit more difficult. Assuming you want at least 1500m/s for a one-way transfer with a comfortable safety margin, the propulsion unit as described could push up to 180 tons of payload (~230 ton total ship mass). If you intend to return and want 3000m/s for a two-way trip, the maximum payload is about 76 tons (~125 ton total ship mass). Landers are considered payload for these calculations.

Not to be rude, but we're sort of getting into the situation where I'm giving you fish instead of teaching you how to catch them. If you are not interested in learning to calculate dV yourself but still want it calculated, install Kerbal Engineer and use one of the delta-V maps to figure out your requirements.

1. Decide where you want to go
  2. Determine the deltaV requirement to go there
  3. Build a ship that meets the requirement

OR

1. Build a ship
  2. Determine the deltaV capacity
  3. Take it where it can go

OR

Chuck a firework at the sky and see what happens.

But what about areo-breaking?

Aerobraking can just about eliminate the dV expenditure for segments that support it. I add up the segments that will be reduced through aerobraking and budget 10% of the total rather than the full amount, this leaves a comfortable safety margin as the dV actually required will be less.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.