Component Space Shuttle V 5.0.1 (July 14, 2013)

Cepheus

If you go into the SRB config and change the solid fuel count to 8000 it gives you booster separation at 2:01 minutes, which is about perfect

Thank you for sharing that :)

Cepheus

Is there a way to use the SAS or ASAS or whatever the name is now, can you make it into a stock style adpater? so whatever craft we place it on it will make it behave and communicate with the engines the same way it does with the shuttle?

Edited by viperwolf

Just a quick suggestion, Cepheus. Could you possibly extend the burn time of the SSRBs to 2 minutes? It'd be more of a perfect shuttle mod if you have a more realistic burn time. That way, the SSRBs would be jettisoned in the upper atmosphere. Right now, they jettison at around 10-12000 metres, that's not even 40,000 feet. Other than that, the shuttle mod is beyond superb. I was able to get it off the pad no problem, no mechjeb, no anything, just a steady hand; and with a near-perfect roll programâ€â€"Roger Roll!" Keep up the fantastic work. I salute your effort at making the space shuttle into a reality for KSP players everywhere.

The low burn time was a consequence of not paying much attention to the boosters once they were running. The current version I'm working on has fixed that.

I didn't change the burn time, because balancing the stack to fly right isn't easy. They're definitely going to be improved as a part of the flight model overhaul.

OK I watched the video, I think that the shuttle should drop like a rock at 33 m/s. I am very interested in seeing how this will interact with FAR, and hopefully I can give useful feedback to make the shuttle a more in-depth experience lol

Yeah, it should. We really need to make this 6.0 update, 0.21 broke a few things, and the shuttle already had enough problems.

Hi everyone,

I have some issues with the spaceshuttle. I simply can't load it when i'm in-game.

I have this error message :

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=683598spaceshut.png

Hope someone could help me, and sorry for my english, is so bad :(

You need The robotic arm pack

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/robotic-arms-pack/

or you can go into craft file and remove the arm

Id also suggest that you edit the oms config to add a probe and switch control to it during circularization, this really helps if you're using mechjeb.

Well goodbye CSS fir now... Because the problem is when I finally release the launch clamps on the SRB's there's a structural failure between the SRB and the SRB separator then *poof* no kerbalshope you fix this soon :(

Maybe you need struts :rolleyes:

Well I diddn't add struts because it worked without struts before and I used the craft file also.

Those SRBs and the main fuel tank need to be strutted. the main tank to the shuttle ofcourse. Then it should fly good for you :D

Those SRBs and the main fuel tank need to be strutted. the main tank to the shuttle ofcourse. Then it should fly good for you :D

I've done some edits to the config for the stock struts (up the strength a few notches) and did a pretty good job of hiding them as well. Now, they're inbetween the SRB and ET, and are nigh impossible to see without clipping into the parts.

And a quick-ish update on my end. I've done a pretty good job of thrust/mass scaling to 64%, and custom fuels are partially implemented now. So far only liquid hydrogen and LOX The densities of these are 64% of IRL, and the SSMEs produce 64% of real thrust. The ET has a volume 100% of true, but a mass and dimension only 64%. The SRBs are 64% of irl mass, thrust, and dimension. They have a thrust curve very similar to the real shuttle boosters, and those are fine. The last test launch I did was before I converted the fuel had a couple bugs, but those worked out after I disabled the SRB gimbal. It might be reenabled in the future, but no promises. The last test landing I did on the shuttle was before the mass rebalance, so I don't know how it is for atmospheric flight yet.

There are new SRB launch clamps on the way.

I haven't heard back from rocket2guns yet, so I'm still waiting for the non-.MU files. If push comes to shove, I've heard about a .mu converter, so I may have to look into that.

Beyond that, it's finals time for me, so I'll be taking a break from this for a few weeks.

Happy flying!

Well I diddn't add struts because it worked without struts before and I used the craft file also.

just making a "kerbal" joke, yeah, same happens to me ;.;, well, used to. thanks for the update Cepheus :D

There is an attachment node in the cargo bay but it is next to impossible to hit except for dumb luck... which is the Kerbal engineering motto.... but none the less one is there and usable albeit blind. How does one make more effective use of this node to load up the shuttle?

There is an attachment node in the cargo bay but it is next to impossible to hit except for dumb luck... which is the Kerbal engineering motto.... but none the less one is there and usable albeit blind. How does one make more effective use of this node to load up the shuttle?

I have found it easiest to clip the camera inside and have a 2m docking port on the node. Build your cargo on top of that circular node piece, and when you're done, pop it on top of the dock port.

Hi, This is quite the awsome mod!! launching space shuttles like a boss. Anyway i dont want to sound mean or impatient but any ETA on the new update. dont anwser if you dont want to!! Thanks!