[0.25] ATC - Alternative Tree Configurator [15.10. - V0.5.1]

SirJodelstein

Try hitting F6, does the tech appear or do you get a NullRefException?

yeah, hitting one at Setup()

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

updating graphics for node0_start

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at RDNode.Setup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RDNode.SetButtonState (State state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RDNode.UpdateGraphics () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ATC.TechChanger.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Any idea what it's trying to reference?

You can hack the extra nodes into the RndTechTree Nodes and Techs list using some reflection

List<RDNode> rdnodes = AssetBase.RnDTechTree.GetTreeNodes().ToList();
List<RDTech> rdtechs = AssetBase.RnDTechTree.GetTreeTechs().ToList();
rdnodes.AddRange(newRDNodes);
rdtechs.AddRange(newRDNodes.Select(rdn => rdn.tech));
FieldInfo rdnodes_info = typeof(RDTechTree).GetFields(BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Static).Where(fld => fld.FieldType.FullName.Contains("RDNode")).FirstOrDefault();
FieldInfo rdtechs_info = typeof(RDTechTree).GetFields(BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Static).Where(fld => fld.FieldType.FullName.Contains("RDTech")).FirstOrDefault();
rdnodes_info.SetValue(null, rdnodes.ToArray());
rdtechs_info.SetValue(null, rdtechs.ToArray());

nodesWithConfigEntries.AddRange(newRDNodes);

Complete code https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPAlternativeTechConfigurator/blob/master/TechChanger.cs

Only problem is, when I hit F6 to redraw the tech nodes, I get a NullReferenceException

RDNode.SetButtonState (State state)
RDNode.UpdateGraphics ()
ATC.TechChanger.Update ()

Maybe someone else some ideas.

You can hack the extra nodes into the RndTechTree Nodes and Techs list using some reflection

List<RDNode> rdnodes = AssetBase.RnDTechTree.GetTreeNodes().ToList();
List<RDTech> rdtechs = AssetBase.RnDTechTree.GetTreeTechs().ToList();
rdnodes.AddRange(newRDNodes);
rdtechs.AddRange(newRDNodes.Select(rdn => rdn.tech));
FieldInfo rdnodes_info = typeof(RDTechTree).GetFields(BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Static).Where(fld => fld.FieldType.FullName.Contains("RDNode")).FirstOrDefault();
FieldInfo rdtechs_info = typeof(RDTechTree).GetFields(BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Static).Where(fld => fld.FieldType.FullName.Contains("RDTech")).FirstOrDefault();
rdnodes_info.SetValue(null, rdnodes.ToArray());
rdtechs_info.SetValue(null, rdtechs.ToArray());

nodesWithConfigEntries.AddRange(newRDNodes);

Complete code https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPAlternativeTechConfigurator/blob/master/TechChanger.cs

Only problem is, when I hit F6 to redraw the tech nodes, I get a NullReferenceException

RDNode.SetButtonState (State state)
RDNode.UpdateGraphics ()
ATC.TechChanger.Update ()

Maybe someone else some ideas.

Huh, looked at the innards of all kinds of objects with the eviscerator, but never checked the tech tree... I'll see if I can tell what's goin on after injecting the new node into the tree

Edit 1: Ok, looks like that worked (I looked up the field by fieldtype instead of name, but otherwise did it the same way). now looking into the null reference exception.

Edit 2: Here's what the innards of the RDNode look like just before it goes to update (note, some of these seem to spit out weird names that notepad and notepad++ can't figure out)

Edit 3: Ya think it's because the graphics field is null? I think I set that explicitly in the newly created nodes to avoid a similar problem...

Edit 4: whoopsie!

Edited by Ixonal

This is great stuff! I'm glad people are working on a TreeLoader replacement! And I'm happy to see some progress happening on creating new nodes, I do think it's fairly crucial if it's going to completely replace TreeLoader.

I'm posting here to let you guys know that I'm actually writing an external Windows application to allow editing tech trees (a TreeEdit replacement if you wish). It's currently being written to work with tree configs used by TreeLoader since I started working on it before ATC was announced, but it shouldn't be much more work to support ATC style config files (I've got an external "parser" library that I've also written myself which already support ModuleManager style configs, so I should be able to quickly support ATC's style).

Currently the application is not ready for use but it shouldn't be much longer before I can show off an early version. At the moment it already has a solid UI that displays a tech tree from a config file, allows you to edit node values, move nodes around and save their location. Before it's usable I need to add support for changing node links (parents/children), add/remove nodes and finally saving everything back to a config file.

Well, I just thought I'd share the info! Will obviously be keeping a close eye at this!

PS. My code is all publicly on github, but I don't want to link it here just yet (you can probably find it if you search around), it's too rough around the corners and without any documentation. But if you really want to see what I have, let me know and I'll send you a link by PM.

I'm posting here to let you guys know that I'm actually writing an external Windows application to allow editing tech trees (a TreeEdit replacement if you wish). It's currently being written to work with tree configs used by TreeLoader since I started working on it before ATC was announced, but it shouldn't be much more work to support ATC style config files (I've got an external "parser" library that I've also written myself which already support ModuleManager style configs, so I should be able to quickly support ATC's style).

Uuuh, this is very exiting. Keep us updated, an external editor sounds very very useful!

All righty, looks like that null reference exception was indeed from the graphics object being null, but now it's going in farther and doing it again:

at RDNodePrefab.SetScale (Single scale) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edit 1: Think one of these might be the culprit?

Edit 2: Ok, filled in a couple more things, but now it's trying to get its hands on the transform, but as it's only listed as a GameObject, I'm not sure what to put there...

NullReferenceException
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetTransform ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_transform () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edit 3: apparently transform isn't set in any of the nodes...

Edit 4: Well, I was able to find some instances of what graphics should be and create clones, but now it's going to the next node and getting an exception in a call to setup that's inside another call to setup... my mind is full of fack... Best guess is I'll have to clone all of the instances of things inside of the clone I made...

updating graphics for node0_start

Found a valid graphics: True

updating graphics for node2_generalRocketry

at RDNode.DrawArrow (UnityEngine.Material mat) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RDNode.ShowArrows (Boolean show, UnityEngine.Material mat, .Parent[] list) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RDNode.InitializeArrows () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edit 5: I suppose another question I should be asking is why the graphics object is null on existing RDNode instances...

Edit 6: whoopsie!

Edited by Ixonal

so the quest to insert tech nodes has become very, very strange. It seems that every time Update is run in ATC, all of the RDNodes in the tech tree have a null graphics field, even if it was explicitly set the Update immediately before... Also the field I use to cache an RDNodePrefab instance keeps turning null after having a value set, but I'm never resetting it to null... so much confus

so the quest to insert tech nodes has become very, very strange. It seems that every time Update is run in ATC, all of the RDNodes in the tech tree have a null graphics field, even if it was explicitly set the Update immediately before... Also the field I use to cache an RDNodePrefab instance keeps turning null after having a value set, but I'm never resetting it to null... so much confus

Could the list of nodes be set somewhere else in squadcode, and something iterates across the known nodes to assign to them?

Could the list of nodes be set somewhere else in squadcode, and something iterates across the known nodes to assign to them?

well, I know it sets this stuff at some point, otherwise the initial draw wouldn't work. My best guess is that "AssetBase.RnDTechTree.GetTreeNodes()" creates some kinda clone, but doesn't fill in all of the contained objects. I don't know how else I would get the nodes, though, since "GameObject.FindObjectsOfType<RDNode>()" returns an empty array.

well, I know it sets this stuff at some point, otherwise the initial draw wouldn't work. My best guess is that "AssetBase.RnDTechTree.GetTreeNodes()" creates some kinda clone, but doesn't fill in all of the contained objects. I don't know how else I would get the nodes, though, since "GameObject.FindObjectsOfType<RDNode>()" returns an empty array.

I think the Warmup methods might be key to setting the graphics objects but I'm not sure. There is a warmup method in the RDNode class which takes RDTech as an argument and an RDTech warmup method. I'm not sure how they tie together though.

I think the Warmup methods might be key to setting the graphics objects but I'm not sure. There is a warmup method in the RDNode class which takes RDTech as an argument and an RDTech warmup method. I'm not sure how they tie together though.

Yeah, saw those, but wasn't sure what exactly they were doing. Best guess is that the node version calls the tech version, so let's see what happens when I warm up the node...

Edit 1: nah, still getting a null reference exception when setup is called. wtb documentation...

Edited by Ixonal

Tried running Ackzander's Vertical Tech Tree through this, didn't work.

I'll see if either he refactors it, or someone makes a converter.

Running any tree made for TreeLoader isn't going to work with ATC. My tech tree editor utility will have this ability but it's not ready so you'll have to wait I'm afraid. I can't promise, but I hope to have something rudimentary this weekend.

Good news everyone! The F6 graphics update runs through without an exception.... Bad news everyone, I didn't see the new node in the list of nodes whose graphics were updated... that means it was never successfully added to the system (even though it was forcefully added to the RDTechTree). There must be some other way to register these...

Edit 1: quite strange...

created new RDNode Something_IDunno with RDTech.title=Some Random Tech Node(techId) =_IDunno

NEWNODE: after updateNode(), startNode has 2 children

newNode has how many parents: 1

NEWNODE: calling RegisterNode(), AssetBase.TechTree has 54 entries

NEWNODE: after RegisterNode(), AssetBase.TechTree has 55 entries

but then...

updating graphics for node0_start, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node1_basicRocketry, which has 3 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node2_stability, which has 2 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node2_survivability, which has 2 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node2_generalRocketry, which has 2 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node3_flightControl, which has 3 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node3_generalConstruction, which has 3 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node3_scienceTech, which has 3 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node3_advRocketry, which has 2 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node4_aerodynamicSystems, which has 2 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node4_fuelSystems, which has 2 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node4_heavyRocketry, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node4_landing, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node4_spaceExploration, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node4_electrics, which has 3 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node4_advFlightControl, which has 2 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node4_advConstruction, which has 3 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node5_actuators, which has 3 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node5_supersonicFlight, which has 2 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node5_advLanding, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node5_specializedConstruction, which has 2 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node5_heavierRocketry, which has 2 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node5_specializedControl, which has 2 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node5_advElectrics, which has 3 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node5_precisionEngineering, which has 2 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node5_advExploration, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node6_advAerodynamics, which has 2 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node6_advMetalWorks, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node6_largeControl, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node6_unmannedTech, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node6_highAltitudeFlight, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node6_electronics, which has 2 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node6_largeElectrics, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node6_ionPropulsion, which has 0 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node6_nuclearPropulsion, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node6_fieldScience, which has 2 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node6_composites, which has 3 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node7_advScienceTech, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node7_advUnmanned, which has 2 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node7_specializedElectrics, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node7_hypersonicFlight, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node7_advancedMotors, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node7_veryHeavyRocketry, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node7_heavyAerodynamics, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node7_metaMaterials, which has 1 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node8_nanolathing, which has 0 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node8_automation, which has 0 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node8_robotics, which has 0 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node8_experimentalMotors, which has 0 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node8_experimentalScience, which has 0 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node8_experimentalAerodynamics, which has 0 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node8_experimentalElectrics, which has 0 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node8_aerospaceTech, which has 0 children (in case you were wondering).

updating graphics for node8_experimentalRocketry, which has 0 children (in case you were wondering).

graphics update complete.

Edited by Ixonal

Good news everyone! The F6 graphics update runs through without an exception.... Bad news everyone, I didn't see the new node in the list of nodes whose graphics were updated...

Oh man, i admire your endurance. Please don't feel obliged to get this to work if you don't want to or you are getting too frustrated about it. But man, would be so awesome to see this working with new nodes :) Maybe some under-the hood changes in .25 will make it easier.

Oh man, i admire your endurance. Please don't feel obliged to get this to work if you don't want to or you are getting too frustrated about it. But man, would be so awesome to see this working with new nodes :) Maybe some under-the hood changes in .25 will make it easier.

I'm really stubborn and hate not being able to figure something out. Hopefully they have some documentation (even just xml comments) for the code. The lack of any has been my biggest gripe...

Welp squad cast is today why not prod squad about it in front of an audience?

Looks like this may (at least partially) have to do with timing. The load of nodes (currently) starts just after the player enters the rnd center, but I noticed that trying to get a RDController instance was impossible. But then I hit F6 to redraw the tree, and I was able to get an RDController instance. I put an extra condition on where it makes sure there's an existing RDController instance. It must just be a couple of updates after, because everything still seems to load at approximately the same time, it's just that there's actually an RDController then... the problem still remains, though, that when I hit F6, the node I created is not in the list of existing RDNodes...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.