How to rescue Frobo Kerman?

Hi all... i am 1 meter close to frobo orbiting around kerbin just with his eva suit :D how to rescue him? I have an unmanned spacecraft with the single seat pod ready to bring him back to Kerbin... How? :D

P.S. can't switch to use him from the map view o from the control center

thank you very much

byebye

Edited by Paolino

If only there were another 52,489 other threads on this, maybe we could finally have an answer.

Here's your answer. Read the %&*#&$ @&*@#&ing page on key bindings.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!23456789.

The key binding has only been around since 0.14

There are so many threads because the problem (yes, it's a problem) is that it is utterly non-intuitive. If you check in the tracking station, it explicitly informs you you cannot take control of him because you do not "own" him. There is then little reason to consider switching vessels to him (aside from the fact he's not a vessel) when you know this. I assumed that I had to get extra close to him, for example, then something would just happen, or I could right click on him, etc, etc, so I maneuvered within a few meters of him (which itself was non-trivial as a noob with no RCS), before exiting and looking here for a solution.

There are so many threads because the problem (yes, it's a problem) is that it is utterly non-intuitive. If you check in the tracking station, it explicitly informs you you cannot take control of him because you do not "own" him. There is then little reason to consider switching vessels to him (aside from the fact he's not a vessel) when you know this. I assumed that I had to get extra close to him, for example, then something would just happen, or I could right click on him, etc, etc, so I maneuvered within a few meters of him (which itself was non-trivial as a noob with no RCS), before exiting and looking here for a solution.

Yeah, but when you do "own" a Kerbal that goes on EVA, or have multiple ships within the physics range, how do you switch? With the [ and ] keys. So why is it such a leap to say "Hey, the [ and ] work for switching through close ships and EVAs" I wonder if maybe it can work for this?" No, that would be too logical.

oh... dear czosnex ;) there are so and so many thread like this that using the search tool on the forum you don't find anything lol

Um, I just did advanced search in thread title for "rescue" I got three pages of threads for this subforum alone.

Yeah, but when you do "own" a Kerbal that goes on EVA, or have multiple ships within the physics range, how do you switch?

On the other hand: that mission is more or less a first tutorial to rendezvous and docking. So a new player probaly never needed to switch between close ships before.

On the other hand: that mission is more or less a first tutorial to rendezvous and docking. So a new player probaly never needed to switch between close ships before.

Perhaps, but when you look at the join date of a lot of the people asking the questions, it's a pretty good indication they aren't new. One of the first things I did when I got KSP was to read the key bindings page.

Yeah, but when you do "own" a Kerbal that goes on EVA, or have multiple ships within the physics range, how do you switch? With the [ and ] keys. So why is it such a leap to say "Hey, the [ and ] work for switching through close ships and EVAs" I wonder if maybe it can work for this?" No, that would be too logical.

When you first start playing, it's not the least bit clear. By the time you are getting rescue missions as a new player, you don't yet even have docking ports, typically, so you in fact have zero reason to need to know how to switch between ships. You also might presume (because it's entirely logical to do so), that you cannot switch between something you own, and something you don't. I tried selecting in map view (works for every other ship/kerbal I want to focus on), that didn't work. I tried the tracking station (also works in every single other case), that didn't work. That it only works for a key shortcut (with no explanation) is absurd.

These posts will be completely common as long as the UI in this case makes no sense to new players. If people ask how to do things that should be obvious, it's bad UI design, period.

This question is also in the FAQ stickied in this forum.

However, there is no need to yell at people for posting a question. That is, after all, a big part of why the forums exist.

The game needs some work, pure and simple. If you have a good idea, post it in the suggestions forum.

Cheers, and happy kerbaling.

-Claw

Edited by Claw

• 2 weeks later...

I set up the rendezvous for a rescue and got within a few meters and [ ] didn't work. I have not altered any key bindings. The capsule is empty. Solar panels deployed. I do have a few mods installed: engineering redux, one of the fairings things, alarm clock, but... why can't i switch to the poor dude floating there? Seriously after all the planning and maneuvering to get that close I rage quit and haven't played for a week; decided to load it and pick back up and then remembered what made me mad. Stoopid career game and needing success - pretty sure MOAR boosters isn't the problem. Please help; my 8 year daughter is really counting on the funding to get us to Duna - seriously.

And, just saying, I did an advanced search and this it the first post I found had anything to do with my question - I only say it after reading the whole thread and, well - the internet can be mean place.

Edited by emerson

emerson, are you by any chance playing on a non-US keyboard? I recall some German players saying that the default key bindings to switch ships was different for them.

If you go to the settings screen and navigate to the Input tab, Misc. subtab, you should see the bindings as follows:

KeyBind.jpg

You can see what keys are bound to 'Focus Next Vessel', and 'Focus Prev Vessel', or bind new ones (or secondary ones) if you like.

If this still doesn't work, then you either have a mod incompatibility issue or you've found a bug which you might like to report on the bugs forum.

Also double check that you're not in time warp. If you're in even 5x time warp it won't let you switch away, I don't think.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.