[EARLY WIP] 2001: A Space Odyssey Inspired Parts

Nicholander

Is this dead then?

I don't know, but I've been following along and I want to make an Aries-1b Mun/Minmus ferry. I've got ahold of reference material and loaded the images into Blender. I had a couple of questions:

1. Once I mark the edges and apply the edge split, can I then remove the edge marks?

2. How do I get Michelle Obama edges? I did the edge split and it gave me Mahmoud Ahmadinejad edges, but I want Michelle Obama edges. Do you simply do it manually with extrude/scaling? If so, must I mark each of the resulting edges before then applying edge split?

1. Once I mark the edges and apply the edge split, can I then remove the edge marks?

No.

Edit I mean yes, If you click "Apply", but you don't need to apply it for KSP. It'll do it automatically. There's not point in removing the edges anyway.

2. How do I get Michelle Obama edges? I did the edge split and it gave me Mahmoud Ahmadinejad edges, but I want Michelle Obama edges. Do you simply do it manually with extrude/scaling? If so, must I mark each of the resulting edges before then applying edge split?

It's better if you create a perfectly round edge chain from one of the vertices by using vertices from a round primitive, like the cylinder.

Also you wouldn't apply edge split in this case.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

I don't mean to hijack the thread from OP, but I think my progress on the Aries-1b is more than relevant:

I've basically made a sphere and cut out the observation windows and the bottom for the engines. I've started mostly on detailing the engines, which was an opportunity for me to learn to use tools like spin, mirror, smoothing/edge splitting, adding pipes, boolean cut-outs, and beveling edges.

Swfn4EK.png

I think the thing I may need help with is understanding how to create panels that go evenly over a sphere. For instance, I want to create an octagonal panel to overlay on top where the cockpit windows go (as seen here). I've tried shrinkwrapping but I can't seem to get it right.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.