The Little used Polar Orbit

GOOMH

When testing my most recent rocket stack, I've been landing on Minimus' pole to check if I have the dV to get back to Kerbal afterwards. Obviously, if you take off from the pole into orbit, you're gonna end up in a polar orbit. I hope that my current lander will be able to go extra-Kerbal, and I'm simulating the extra dV by landing on the Minimus pole, then taking off, changing azimuth back close to 0, then going back to Kerbal. (I haven't been able to softland at KSC yet because I keep going prograde to get to KSC and then aerodrag stops me from getting the rockets pointed back at the ground :()

I once had the idea of having a Polar orbit over KSC2, at geosynchronous altitude (~2 848 000m).

Obviously, KSC2 is not on the equator, so you're thinking that it's impossible to have an orbit pass over it every rotation, right?

But if you time your orbit such that you pass over KSC2 every time Kerbin rotates (6h), then this can be acheived!

So, by performing the 'Little used Polar orbit' at Geosynchronous altitude, you can have a probe or 'satellite' pass over a spot away from the equator every revolution!

In theory, this should work nicely, but in practice it's reasonably difficult. A challenge. :D

No pictures of my mission, I'm afraid, but try it!

Finally, a use for the Polar Orbit!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.