Tallest ship to successfully land on the Mun (stock parts only)

Well I was stuffing around seeing how much mass I could actually send into space (and from there get it to Mun with the idea I can get the \'nauts back home) and this is what I finally managed to land on the Mun:

GIhhR.png

From the image you can probably see that I have enough fuel so I can get back home, but I was wondering what other large ships people have managed to land on the Mun successfully, though only using vanilla KSP (so no mods, editing of cfg files etc.).

And from there, I was wonder how many of those ships that made it would actually be able to make it back to kerbin.

Good heavens! That could go to kerbin And back to the mun again!

Speaking from experience, no, that will not get back to the moon. However, it can powerland on Kerbin, assuming the legs hold up.

The legs do stand up (there are 9 of them) so power landing on kerbin works. It was an experiment to try and make my way back to KSC after going to the moon.

But yeah, I would need an entire extra stage (one that could power my entire rocket into space) to be able to get back to the Mun a second time. And having an extra stage would make this ship ridiculously laggy (as opposed to simply being very laggy).

This is what it starts as:

gen4b.png

The legs do stand up (there are 9 of them) so power landing on kerbin works. It was an experiment to try and make my way back to KSC after going to the moon.

But yeah, I would need an entire extra stage (one that could power my entire rocket into space) to be able to get back to the Mun a second time. And having an extra stage would make this ship ridiculously laggy (as opposed to simply being very laggy).

This is what it starts as:

gen4b.png

Good grief! Why is it so... huge?

screenshot10.png

Hm, I wonder if I can make an egress stage for my whole rocket? That\'d be grand.

As I mention in my first post, it was in efforts to see how much mass I could shift into space. Most of my ships are slightly ridiculous in one form or another.

That being said, I haven\'t made any great strides in the efficiency department. And as they say, bigger is better.... right?

As I mention in my first post, it was in efforts to see how much mass I could shift into space. Most of my ships are slightly ridiculous in one form or another.

That being said, I haven\'t made any great strides in the efficiency department. And as they say, bigger is better.... right?

Speaking of which, is there a 'most ridiculous stock ship to make it into orbit' challenge? Because I\'ve got a great contender. :)

fut the wuck

That must be from before heat was implemented, because if you tried that today, you\'d get roasted kerbals.

Only the bottom ring of boosters was ever on, then they would get ejected and the next ring would light. There was no such thing as controlling this rocket, it was just straight up. But yes, it did explode within ten seconds before I remembered to adjust the staging. (Yes, 24 stages is correct). =P

taalship.png

with 13 big tanks left this beast had 75 tonns when landed. Its able to visit each of the 5 major craters and go home with still plenty fuel left. the perfect exploraration-lander as you dont have to care about your fuel when scouting on the moon.

Soon this should be capabel to return and fly to the mon again after changing the design a little..

taalship.png

with 13 big tanks left this beast had 75 tonns when landed. Its able to visit each of the 5 major craters and go home with still plenty fuel left. the perfect exploraration-lander as you dont have to care about your fuel when scouting on the moon.

Soon this should be capabel to return and fly to the mon again after changing the design a little..

Okay, I want to see the rocket that got that thing to the Mun in the first place. That good sir is like 3/4 of the rocket I use for strait burns directly to the Mun (its missing stage in the middle).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Holy moly! There certainly have been some rediculously tall ships land on the mun (major kudos to r4m0n and boolybooly). Though i have since moved to trying to land on minmus.. and this is the tallest ship i managed to land there :P

e0sYT.png

.. and as you may notice, i have almost full fuel for all visible tanks. So if only there was even more far out planets or moons to land on....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.