Belief paradox

mr_yogurt

Oh...My....Spaghetti.

Don't you realise that without pedantry modern science, engineering and philosophy wouldn't exist?

Words have specific usages. You want to discuss a lofty topic here, but you're using colloquial meanings in places where they don't belong. That is equivocation, and it's yet another logical mistake.

Pedantry may be important, but a thread intended to be a casual discussion in an off topic section of a forum about little green men flying rockets to space is not the place for it. I wasn't the one who derailed this into an argument about the meaning of a paradox.

Here. Equivocation.

And here. A list of other logical mistakes to avoid. Honestly when I first started memorising those I was SHOCKED at how often people do this. It's not even funny! It's a bloody tragedy that this isn't taught in schools.

I don't know whether the Ship of Theseus is a paradox, but after reading the wiki article, I don't see anyone denying that it's a paradox, and I have to agree. The statement "A ship that has all it's parts replaced is the same ship" is self contradictory.

I didn't say anybody denied it was a paradox.

And the paradox doesn't state "A ship that has all its parts replaced is the same ship". It asks, "Is a ship that has all its parts replaced the same ship?"

Pedantry may be important, but a thread intended to be a casual discussion in an off topic section of a forum about little green men flying rockets to space is not the place for it. I wasn't the one who derailed this into an argument about the meaning of a paradox.

Ok I did what I could to salvage this thread, but the congenital defects were too severe. I'm afraid the only viable option is life support, but it might be more compassionate to just let it die.

I'm so sorry. There's nothing more we can do.

End-of-life counselling is available.

It asks, "Is a ship that has all its parts replaced the same ship?"

This highly depends on how you see it. I like the way how Aristotle resolved this. Basically you need to define what makes the ship unique for you. Is it the material? Or the purpose of the ship? Maybe the scheme? The name? Or an combination of them? After that it is easy to decide.

Ok I did what I could to salvage this thread, but the congenital defects were too severe. I'm afraid the only viable option is life support, but it might be more compassionate to just let it die.

I'm so sorry. There's nothing more we can do.

End-of-life counselling is available.

Correction: the the defects actually developed shortly after birth, two posts after, to be exact.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.