[WIP] Inigma's KSP Essentials Mod Pack

inigma

What? Your list containts atleast KAS, for example, which license clearly prohibits redistributing = wishes. Also i'm not sure on the clear definition of "sharing", but it might apply to OP.

Thanks for pointing out KAS's license prohibition. :) I mean no asinine feelings or ill will in this thread. Please understand I'm just trying to move the mod pack idea along on these forums, and if it takes work, I'm here to push it. I will need to seek KAS's direct permission to have their mod included in this pack when it is released in a .zip - assuming first I can test its compatibilities with the other mods, which I am still doing. I will reach out to KAS and other mods in the list that have prohibitions before I publish a .zip. I was merely curious as to the legal consequences in case I missed something in understanding all those license requirements. If KAS or any other restricted mod refuses, then it will be removed from the project before the .zip is posted. I hope my intentions are clear. If not, I should re-do the OP. I just want to show others that assembling a mod pack isn't that difficult vs the concerns of mod developers. Even if I missed understanding a license, and not understanding a mod dev doesn't want their mod redistributed, it would be hoped that such a mod dev would then ask me to remove the mod, and that request will be gladly complied with. Someone's got to start. It might as well be me since I do run a multiplayer server and do want to offer a tested mod pack for my users. If I get to help out KSP newbies on the KSP forums in the process by sharing the work, then by all means, this thread exists to do so! :D

I hope we're still on the same team. :) I just want to see the modding community finally come up with a service to test compatibility between mods. Currently no one is offering one. I'm here to start one. Thanks for all your input so far, you and others. Seriously.

I look forward to KSP mod packs. If you want to help test the listed mods in this pack, let me know!

Edited by inigma

i didn't check, but i'm sure that at least 20% of the mods you have on your list do not allow redistribution. I don't care for the mods packs personally, do what you wan't. But don't assume every mod maker out there is cool with it.

EDIT: Okay, i might be wrong, i've had an impression that almost everyone used the draconian licences, which is not the case after the brief outlook.

Edited by mouzfun

i didn't check, but i'm sure that at least 20% of the mods you have on your list do not allow redistribution. I don't care for the mods packs personally, do what you wan't. But don't assume every mod maker out there is cool with it.

I understand. I want to test compatibilities first though, so when I do finally go and ask for their permission to include them in a mod pack, I will at least have something proving that it works. :D If they still refuse, I offer the information on compatibility for free anyways, but will gladly remove their mod from the .zip before public release. I will of course publish such refusal in my OP since I want fans of mod packs to put pressure on mod developers to allow popular mods in such packs in the future, or encourage mod developers to develop competing mods that are open to mod packs. It is my hope though that I can negotiate something that will be mutually beneficial to all parties so that if mod developers opt to allow redistribution through a mod pack, that such activity would be a win-win for all involved.

Edited by inigma

Looks like I have to step in here...

Even though no rules have been expressly broken, this thread has generate a lot of controversy and I can't see it getting any better going forward.

Now, packs of addons have been done before, the most famous of which is the Novapunch pack, but these were put together by modders either working together on the pack or the creator of the parts was contacted and their permission was granted before inclusion.

Over time Squad has had to update and add to the rules here, including those for addons, and we all need to abide by the wishes of modders when using or redistributing their works.

If a modder doesn't want his stuff shared around and changed, he can release it as All Rights Reserved, this is in fact the defacto standard license if no other can be found.

So what does this mean for modpacks?

It means they aren't impossible or unwelcome but permission has to be granted for every addon that is a part of it, and just as with the addon rules, the licenses for all parts must be present in both the zip and on the forum page where it can be found.

Of course, with something as complex as a pack, it becomes necessary to have proof of permission as well, so there will need to be a file showing permission from all contributors, ideally it should be part of the license(s).

So that's where we are now and where this thread comes to an end, by all means make modpacks, but only if all contributions are permitted by the addon license or permission is expressly given by the modder.

And do this before any release.