Show off your Interplanetary Ships!

• 10 months later...
On 2016-06-01 at 10:02 PM, Wcmille said:

Here's a mothership design I made, and some of the stats of the craft headed to Moho.

(it's a little easier to read on Imgur)

That looks pretty darn sweet. How do the "smart boosters" work? Are they just there to give an extra boost for the transfer to Moho or are you using them for your insertion as well? Moreover how do you decide when to send them home, and is it a direct abort or some sort of longer pre-planned return flight?

On 2 February 2015 at 11:10 AM, Techpriest93 said:

Wow, so many good ideas! I will have to dig up my old screenshots and post them!

AF7B26D702C8CE39968B9108F3938846E10DEF8C

A Very, very light weight design, that was a test bed for science. I like the picture.

17C86BE84869E1592D8354E1CA3B83A36701F713188FC339A83F92B06C7DB672CF5D6F70E4BA5301

6DB788E77815C017A68D3A9F1146C72D29CE1A85

This was built around an idea of using segmented ships, with the brand new jumbo docking ports at the time. I also remember that in simulated "low gravity" tests that it would want to curl back in on itself, like the bottem dockingport didnt exist in this dimension. I think it was fixed soon after, but lost the savefile a LONG time ago. I have a feeling that it would of worked though, so I thought the idea was worth a mention, the whole double docking collars and all.

I had a few other more "ambitious" ideas, but they never made it beyond the vab, even for testing because the computer started melting while building.

OOPS, just realized this was for stock craft! Well, I run a stock game right now so I will edit my pictures once I make a few interplanetary crafts then!

Oh my kerbal is that a statship, its KERBFANTASTIC!:cool:

8 hours ago, phoenix_ca said:

That looks pretty darn sweet. How do the "smart boosters" work? Are they just there to give an extra boost for the transfer to Moho or are you using them for your insertion as well? Moreover how do you decide when to send them home, and is it a direct abort or some sort of longer pre-planned return flight?

My idea was to burn them for Kerbin Ejection, immediately detach, and then quickly burn again to stay in the Kerbin SOI, and possibly limp to Minmus of Mun.

The dV margin of this particular mission was so small that I decided in the end to just sacrifice the boosters, I will eject them during insertion.

9 hours ago, Wcmille said:

My idea was to burn them for Kerbin Ejection, immediately detach, and then quickly burn again to stay in the Kerbin SOI, and possibly limp to Minmus of Mun.

The dV margin of this particular mission was so small that I decided in the end to just sacrifice the boosters, I will eject them during insertion.

Ah shoot. Tyranny of the rocket equation strikes again. :P It's a very neat idea though.

f8uXFyI.png

It includes a main station with some pretty massive thrusters 8 massive nacells with 4 nerv atomic engines on each one. A large fuel extraction module to help refuel on lightweight moons and two landing modules on it. 1 small probe set for a non-return landing on Eve and and a small lander to be used to collect biome data and relay it to the science lab onboard the station.

It cost millions to get it all together and I had to sign up for a bunch of missions to even keep my career mode from going bankrupt. As soon as i finish refilling the giant nacells and dealing with some stuff around minimus, it will head for Eve>Moho>Duna. Then I am not sure what I will do afterward. I might get more modules for the outer planets since there are other challenges I will have to deal with there.

Edit: Here she goes off to Eve
5rW77s2.png

9cDqs4o.png

Edited by SpaceCommunism
added photos

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.