Shuttle Atlantis Re-entry photo

Keyes777

@Sordid - very true, and better put than I could.

@SkunkMonkey: Yes - and it's also heating the atmosphere up to incandescent temperatures, creating quite a large volume of plasma as it does so. This is a nuisance for agencies operating re-entry vehicles, as the plasma acts as a radio communications barrier - it's like wrapping the craft in thick tin-foil! From the moment the craft enters the atmosphere until it drops below hypersonic velocity, the ground controllers have to sit and wait, and depend on external cameras to see how things are going.

@SkunkMonkey: Yes - and it's also heating the atmosphere up to incandescent temperatures, creating quite a large volume of plasma as it does so. This is a nuisance for agencies operating re-entry vehicles, as the plasma acts as a radio communications barrier - it's like wrapping the craft in thick tin-foil! From the moment the craft enters the atmosphere until it drops below hypersonic velocity, the ground controllers have to sit and wait, and depend on external cameras to see how things are going.

The Shuttle can remain in satellite contact during reentry. Not sure if this is so for modern capsules like the Dragon and Soyuz.

The Shuttle can remain in satellite contact during reentry. Not sure if this is so for modern capsules like the Dragon and Soyuz.

I appear to be out of date. It *used* to be a problem!

The orbiters have radios that point 'upwards' as well as 'downwards,' so they bounce their signals off satellites known as the Tracking and Data Relay Satellite System (TDRSS). I suspect this mitigates the plasma blackout effect. :)

The orbiters have radios that point 'upwards' as well as 'downwards,' so they bounce their signals off satellites known as the Tracking and Data Relay Satellite System (TDRSS). I suspect this mitigates the plasma blackout effect. :)

Yep, though the upwards radio shots are only possible because of the shuttle's size. Its 'wake' is fairly plasma-free, which is otherwise a great radio shield. Capsules, being smaller, do not have the open wake to fire a signal to TDRSs. Or so I've heard.