Shielding parts in fairings

I've been having a problem with a munar lander I'm trying to launch. I'm using FAR/DRE so I have procedural fairings installed to let me protect payloads. The problem is the radially attached parts are not getting aerodynamically shielded.

My Munar lander is sitting in a procedural fairing with two radial tanks with landing gear attached. In the VAB they show up as shielded. When I transition to the launchpad they become unshielded from the radial decouplers out. All central parts are correctly shielded.

I've tried oversizing the fairings, changing the number of fairing panels, adding parts to the lander to change it's size, different orientations of radial attachments etc. I researched and found that more than two fairing panels in the SPH can cause problems due to symmetry but this is in the VAB with two panels.

Also of note is when I decouple one of the side tanks on the pad, the other side becomes shielded again.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Anyone have any experience with this/ideas?

I had simmetry issues in the VAB too and I use procedural fairings. Sometimes with quad simmetry I end up with 5 real engines, tanks or whatever and the extra one is clipped inside the "part nr. 1" (e.g.: with decouplers the one on top of the staging sequence). Did u notice any kind of visual fx related to clipping?

I don't FAR or DRE so I don't know. I do PF however.

This probably won't help but is easy to check. Click your P Faring base and ad more diameter to it's size. I usually use the small steps to increase the PF base to at least match the diameter of the main stage.

Hope this helps.

I don't FAR or DRE so I don't know. I do PF however.

This probably won't help but is easy to check. Click your P Faring base and ad more diameter to it's size. I usually use the small steps to increase the PF base to at least match the diameter of the main stage.

Hope this helps.

^^ This. I can tell from the image that it is the wrong size. Try changing it to 2.5 or larger.

On another note, Aethon, why would you have PF without FAR (or NEAR)?

:D 'Cause it looks cool.

Occasionally I go for aesthetic over function. It usually only costs about 150 dv in the stock soup-o-sphere. Plus structural fuselages are essential.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=311768913

Fair enough.

Tried out these suggestions with comical but not useful results;

http://imgur.com/a/p0nG0

It definitely seems to be some coding that ignores radial parts or something rather than physically mapping where the parts are. Just need to trick it into realising the parts are inside the fairing.

You just changed the fairing radius, change the fairing base size. You shouldn't really need to change the radius, that's the whole point of procedural fairings.

Edited by Alshain

^^ This. You've got the right thing clicked, and the right menu open in your first screenie. The relevant line in the open menu there is : Size 2.500 m. To the right and left of the green bar are the blue control arrows. These increase and decrease the diameter of the fairing base. The double arrow increases the size to the next 'standard' diameter. The single arrow ads diameter in smaller increments.

As your engineer, I advise you to click the single blue arrow on the right of the green size bar until the diameter of the fairing base visually matches the diameter of the standard fuel tank underneath it.

Keep me posted. I'm beginning to go buggy waiting on this update. I accidentally killed a Mun station from the tracking station yesterday, which took some of the wind outta my sails.

Doing some serious forum prowling, hoping SOMEONE will post SOMETHING! :)

I've tried using 1.25m, 2.5m (which it should be), 2.75m (which matches the fuel tank size below before adding the fairing pieces), and 3m (as show in the screenshot with loads of extra volume) All have the same effect. I've got 1.25m and 2.5m unlocked in the tech tree. The parts appear without a size in the list and can be adjusted as Aethon says. The fairing pieces will wrap around any crazy shape I make. It just appears to be visually but not physically.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.