Made a game in unity! (sort of)

theguyinthemines

EDIT! that link was not right, here it is http://imgur.com/HhzlyyJ

Here is a game that i just started work on. There are a few bugs with lighting but that doesn't bother me at the moment. i just need a name! :)

The game will be an open world when it's finished. it will have more than just walking around. this version is 0.01 Pre-Alpha

Edited by theguyinthemines
Changed a link

this is where im at with my game engine.

nukesim-1.jpg

the idea was to do a newtonian combat simulator and i work on it on and off. this whole thing is written in stand alone lua using nothing more than the libraries that come with lua for windows. iup provides the opengl context, then theres luagl (which is stuck at version 1.3). joystick support provided by using alien to interface with a dll for garys mod (i just googled joystick dll) and is worthy of some kind of hacking award. i would have used sdl but luasdl didnt want to cooperate. the engine also has freetrack support but it doesn't use it yet. i wrote all the 3d maths libraries from scratch. im old school so i did a quake style console (which can be used to issue in game commands and also write code while the game is running).

physics is still a stub right now. its mostly just a basic newtonian model with the ability to apply arbitrary impulses to an object, which can be used in collision response (though there is no collision detection yet) or for thruster simulation. its not quite a game yet, it would need about a dozen major subsystems before i would even consider it such.

i also have another engine that runs in c++, and compiles on my raspberry pi, though it uses a software rasterizer that doesnt work very well. the original idea was to prototype in lua and do a more robust implementation based on what works, though the lua engine still runs circles around it. i like to code with the bare minimum of libraries and frameworks like unity just get in the way. i also rather enjoy solving the more complex issues like physics simulation and collision detection where things like unity would solve them for you and you dont learn anything.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.