What Would Happen If Gilly Hit Kerbin?

CG_Kerbin

here is my video where i do it in ksp

id like to know what if gilly hit kerbin at 1,000m/s what would be the consequences and what might
kerbin look like like after wards and if the kerbals could survive the revenge of gilly!

and if you know what would happen if gilly hit earth at 1,000m/s would we survive

thank you im just interested!

(just out of interest what if duna hit Kerbin/Earth) Edited by CG_Kerbin

Look for that huge impact crater West of KSP if you want to see an example of a similar past event. Play with hyper-edit at your own pearl of inviting the Krackin and destroying the game.

As far as the Earth, the present moon was the result of a glancing impact by a Mars size planet very early in it's history. For a Gilly size object, the extinction of the Dinosaurs was the result, the crater in the Gulf of Mexico.

Nice video as always! Keep up the great work! :D

I once messed around with hyperedit and also made Gilly crash into Kerbin. It wasn't nearly as glitchy as this! XD

thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Look for that huge impact crater West of KSP if you want to see an example of a similar past event. Play with hyper-edit at your own pearl of inviting the Krackin and destroying the game.

As far as the Earth, the present moon was the result of a glancing impact by a Mars size planet very early in it's history. For a Gilly size object, the extinction of the Dinosaurs was the result, the crater in the Gulf of Mexico.

very interesting

The second Kerbin is from hyper edit sending you to the other side of the planet from you adjusting stuff, you just didn't realize it cause you were rapidly changing things :)

Edit:

If someone has Universe Sandbox 2 , he could simulate what would really happen in such a crash

If you give me the mass, radius, and impact speed, I can do it :D

My go-to impact effects calculator: http://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/ImpactEffects/

Note that I'm ignoring KSP's weird aero model.

Incidentally, a 1 km/s impact is highly unlikely if not impossible. Assuming the impactor comes in from interplanetary space and doesn't get its course affected by the Mun or the Kerbals it must hit at at least Kerbin's escape velocity of 3.4 km/s.

But for the 1 km/s impact, it would still be a major event. You're looking at the equivalent of over 10 million megatons of TNT. It will make a big old crater comparable to the major craters Kerbin already has. The most destructive effect would be the airblast, capable of knocking down buildings Kerbinwide, and the planet would be blanketed in a layer of ash. There would be a 9.4 magnitude earthquake adding to the destruction near the impact site but this would not be very damaging far away.

Notably absent would be a fireball - the speed just isn't fast enough. The impact would need to be at 15 km/s or so to create a significant fireball, which is unlikely in the Kerbol system.

http://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/cgi-bin/crater.cgi?dist=1000&distanceUnits=1&diam=13000&diameterUnits=1&pdens=13500&pdens_select=0&vel=1&velocityUnits=1θ=45&wdepth=&wdepthUnits=1&tdens=2500

For a faster speed of 3.5 km/s the effects of course get ramped up. By and large it's still the airblast that will do the wide area damage, though the ejecta blanket also becomes notably thicker, you could be looking at at least 3 feet of rock dust dumped on the surface even at the furthest point from the impact. Buildings that survive the blast may well collapse from the weight of ash.

On the other hand, Gilly's radius is 13 km. If you increases the physics range limit (which I think we can agree is a pure game mechanic issue), would the bottom of Gilly being low in the atmosphere be taken into account, or would drag for the whole mass be calculated based on the altitude of the CoM?

My go-to impact effects calculator: http://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/ImpactEffects/

Note that I'm ignoring KSP's weird aero model.

Incidentally, a 1 km/s impact is highly unlikely if not impossible. Assuming the impactor comes in from interplanetary space and doesn't get its course affected by the Mun or the Kerbals it must hit at at least Kerbin's escape velocity of 3.4 km/s.

But for the 1 km/s impact, it would still be a major event. You're looking at the equivalent of over 10 million megatons of TNT. It will make a big old crater comparable to the major craters Kerbin already has. The most destructive effect would be the airblast, capable of knocking down buildings Kerbinwide, and the planet would be blanketed in a layer of ash. There would be a 9.4 magnitude earthquake adding to the destruction near the impact site but this would not be very damaging far away.

Notably absent would be a fireball - the speed just isn't fast enough. The impact would need to be at 15 km/s or so to create a significant fireball, which is unlikely in the Kerbol system.

http://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/cgi-bin/crater.cgi?dist=1000&distanceUnits=1&diam=13000&diameterUnits=1&pdens=13500&pdens_select=0&vel=1&velocityUnits=1θ=45&wdepth=&wdepthUnits=1&tdens=2500

For a faster speed of 3.5 km/s the effects of course get ramped up. By and large it's still the airblast that will do the wide area damage, though the ejecta blanket also becomes notably thicker, you could be looking at at least 3 feet of rock dust dumped on the surface even at the furthest point from the impact. Buildings that survive the blast may well collapse from the weight of ash.

That's really interesting thank you :)

But wouldn't the speed be much higher? Even if an objects enters kerbins(Earths) gravity well with nearly no relative velocity to the planet, while inside the gravity well the Planet would accelerate it, espeacially if it's on an collision course. I don't lnow the numbers but i think there has to be a minimal impact velocity for all 'interplanetary-collision-objects' (even from a nearly-the-same-as-target-orbit) which should be waaay higher than 1000m/s ?

If a planet's SOI reached to infinity, and an object at infinity distance with 0m/s velocity started to fall towards said planet, it would impact at the escape velocity of the planet. However, upon entering a planet's atmosphere, it will slow it down given enough time in the atmosphere to (near) terminal velocity, so a surface impact of 1km/s is possible, especially on a planet such as Eve with such a deep and thick atmosphere. Even all of my returning craft to Kerbin decelerate to under 200m/s before deploying chutes, even if coming in at 5km/s.

Edited by EdFred

That thingy is asking for diameter, FYI, Gilly is 13km in *radius*.

It's more than twice the (predicted) diameter of the Chicxulub crater's impactor. :S

Whoops. I spotted that and reran before posting my discussion of the results, but forgot to change the link I posted.

Mistakes happen :)

I was using Eve's radius for a density calculation of a rescaled Kerbin a couple of days ago myself :)

Unless it has a highly elliptical orbit and happens to intersect Kerbin at exactly Apoapsis. Trust me, I have a satellite in an orbit reaching from below moho to above Duna, and at Periapsis it's speed is over 16,000km/s but at apoapsis it only goes 120 m/s

EDIT:

Your Inputs:

Distance from Impact: 1000.00 meters ( = 3280.00 feet )

Projectile diameter: 26.00 km ( = 16.10 miles )

Projectile Density: 13497 kg/m3

Impact Velocity: 1000.00 meters per second ( = 3280.00 feet per second )

Impact Angle: 45 degrees

Target Density: 2500 kg/m3

Target Type: Sedimentary Rock

Energy:

Energy before atmospheric entry: 6.21 x 1022 Joules = 1.48 x 107 MegaTons TNT

The average interval between impacts of this size somewhere on Earth during the last 4 billion years is 1.4 x 108years

Major Global Changes:

The Earth is not strongly disturbed by the impact and loses negligible mass.

The impact does not make a noticeable change in the tilt of Earth's axis (< 5 hundreths of a degree).

Depending on the direction and location of impact, the collision may cause a change in the length of the day of up to 6.9 milliseconds.

The impact does not shift the Earth's orbit noticeably.

Crater Dimensions:

What does this mean?

Transient Crater Diameter: 63.9 km ( = 39.7 miles )

Transient Crater Depth: 22.6 km ( = 14 miles )

Final Crater Diameter: 110 km ( = 68.5 miles )

Final Crater Depth: 1.22 km ( = 0.757 miles )

The crater formed is a complex crater.

At this impact velocity ( < 12 km/s), little shock melting of the target occurs.

From Eve's slowest orbital speed + the slowest orbital speed of Gilly:

Your Inputs:

Distance from Impact: 1000.00 meters ( = 3280.00 feet )

Projectile diameter: 26.00 km ( = 16.10 miles )

Projectile Density: 13497 kg/m3

Impact Velocity: 11.10 km per second ( = 6.88 miles per second )

Impact Angle: 45 degrees

Target Density: 58485 kg/m3

Target Type: Crystalline Rock

Energy:

Energy before atmospheric entry: 7.63 x 1024 Joules = 1.82 x 109 MegaTons TNT

The average interval between impacts of this size somewhere on Earth during the last 4 billion years is 1.5 x 109years

Major Global Changes:

The Earth is not strongly disturbed by the impact and loses negligible mass.

The impact does not make a noticeable change in the tilt of Earth's axis (< 5 hundreths of a degree).

Depending on the direction and location of impact, the collision may cause a change in the length of the day of up to 76 milliseconds.

The impact does not shift the Earth's orbit noticeably.

Crater Dimensions:

What does this mean?

Transient Crater Diameter: 64.2 km ( = 39.9 miles )

Transient Crater Depth: 22.7 km ( = 14.1 miles )

Final Crater Diameter: 111 km ( = 68.9 miles )

Final Crater Depth: 1.22 km ( = 0.758 miles )

The crater formed is a complex crater.

At this impact velocity ( < 12 km/s), little shock melting of the target occurs.

basically a really big explosion

Edited by TimberWolffe

The following might be helpful:

If Gilly were to transfer from Eve's orbit to Kerbin's orbit using an efficient Hohmann transfer, it's speed at apoapsis (at Kerbin's altitude above the Sun/Kerbol), would be roughly 8570m/sec.

Kerbin would overtake Gilly, travelling at 9284.5m/sec.

So the relative velocity at the peak of Gilly's transfer would be 714.5 as Kerbin's SOI swept it up (with Kerbin's SOI basically rear-ending Gilly).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.