The 500 Unit Challenge

I read this challenge and realised that I could use the ship I made for my completion of the [thread=95573]Single Thruster Challenge[/thread]! Awesomely convenient!

If you're interested head on over, it's great fun! (Ignore the man behind the curtain plugging his own challenge...:P)

The ship costs 25,484 Funds, has only 440 units of fuel and made it to the surface of Mun and back to Kerbin safely! I forgot to show the fuel amount in the editor but you can see in a photo after launch that the capacity is only 440 and there are no RCS ports.

The only mod used was Kerbal Engineer Redux for delta-V and orbital stats, other than that all stock.

SCORING:

• 500 500 points for a successful mission.
  • 12,000,000 1 points for every meter your craft goes up. (Mun orbital altitude)
  • 100 100 points for every Kerbal THAT SURVIVES. (One taken, one returned)
  • 0 200 point penalty for every Kerbal that DIES.
  • 0 1 bonus point for every dollar under 10000 funds that you spend on the craft itself AND fuel.
  • -15,484 1 point penalty for every dollar over 10000 funds that you spend on the craft itself AND fuel.
  • 60 1 point bonus for every unit of fuel under the 500 unit limit. (Had 440)
  • 0 100 point penalty for every unit of fuel over the 500 unit limit.
  • 250 250 bonus points for making to space.
  • 500 500 bonus points for reaching a stable orbit around Kerbin (Pe>or=70000 meters)
  • 2000 2000 bonus points for entering the SOI of the Mun.
  • 0 4000 bonus points for entering the SOI of Minmus
  • 0 5000 bonus points for leaving the SOI of Kerbin
  • 0 10000 bonus points for entering the SOI of any other planet.
  • -280 20 point penalty for every part that didn't survive. (6 intakes, 2 nacilles, 2 decouplers, 2 fuel lines, 2 bi-adapters)
  • ? Bonus points for Mun landing???!!!???

Total: 11,987,646 points :D

My mission for this challenge

(Actually my run for the Single Thruster Challenge but fits the criteria):

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Thanks for the awesome challenge plainawesome!

Cas.

Hey, me again! I just had so much fun with this challenge that I decided to do it again. :D

This time I built a spaceplane to go from Kerbin to land on Minmus, via the Mun's SOI.

This ship is called 'Penny Pincher' or 'Penny P.' for short. It starts off with 480 units of liquid fuel, no solid fuel and no monoprop. No parts are lost and no mods are used except for Kerbal Engineer Redux for delta-V/orbital stats (The new version of KER doesn't even need a part added!).

Its total cost in the SPH is 24,757 Funds.

First off the ascent to LKO, nothing very interesting, and the trip out to Minmus orbit:

This is when the quicksaves start. The reason I went to minmus was because I wanted to try landing on its flats. Horizontally. It's something I've been trying to do for a while but never really had the patience, but with this challenge I had that extra driving kick to get it done! Anyway because my orbit was so weirdly inclined I had few choices of where to land, so I ended up on the Greater Flats and had a giant mountain blocking my approach. The first attempt ended...poorly, but the second one kept its wings! It took almost the entire stretch to slow down with brakes because of the low gravity, but it was a greeaat opportunity to put some wheelies! :P

So then I figured I've landed horizontally, might as well take off that way too! So I gunned it towards the hills at the East and used them as a ramp and promptly exploded. Take 2. I gently nudged myself towards the hills at the East and then gunned it once on the ramp and woohoo! SPAACCCEEEEE!!!! Unfortunately I didn't get a snap of the explosions from the first attempt because my ship was destroyed too quickly :P.

After those shenanigans I was on my way back to Kerbin when I noticed another Mun encounter just by chance, and I just couldn't resist, so I lined it up to send me as far out from Kerbin as I could without leaving the SOI.

After this and a couple of aerobrakes Jeb was back on Kerbin again!

SCORING:

• 500 500 points for a sucessful mission.
  • 83,463,822 1 points for every meter your craft goes up.
  • 100 100 points for every Kerbal THAT SURVIVES.
  • 0 200 point penalty for every Kerbal that DIES.
  • 0 1 bonus point for every dollar under 10000 funds that you spend on the craft itself AND fuel.
  • -14,757 1 point penalty for every dollar over 10000 funds that you spend on the craft itself AND fuel.
  • 20 1 point bonus for every unit of fuel under the 500 unit limit.
  • 0 100 point penalty for every unit of fuel over the 500 unit limit.
  • 250 250 bonus points for making to space
  • 500 500 bonus points for reaching a stable orbit around Kerbin (Pe>or=70000 meters)
  • 2000 2000 bonus points for entering the SOI of the Mun
  • 4000 4000 bonus points for entering the SOI of Minmus
  • 0 5000 bonus points for leaving the SOI of Kerbin
  • 0 10000 bonus points for entering the SOI of any other planet.
  • 0 20 point penalty for every part that didn't survive.
  • ? Bonus points for Minmus landing?

Total: 83,456,435 points

Thanks again for making this great challenge!

Cas.

Rule 12 specifically allows MechJeb and Kerbal Engineer. Are you disallowing entries that use the parts from those mods?

Yeah, I'm also confused by that, the only mod part my first attempt used was the part from Kerbal Engineer. Either the OP just made a mistake or the rules are a bit misleading.

Either way, the new version of Kerbal Engineer Redux for 0.25 does not require a part on the ship so anyone who wants a delta-v/flight info mod should use that for this challenge.

Cas.

I took a Kerbal to the surface of Eeloo and back on 510 units of fuel, using a 12-ton SSTO that passed through the SOI of Mun, Minmus, Eve, and Jool on the way,

BUT

I used Mechjeb for the last 300 meters of the landings and for the takeoff from Eeloo and to execute the maneuver nodes. So I can't enter it. It suggests what is possible for a better pilot than I though.

Wouldn't a trip to Eeloo score about 90 billion points for its distance from Kerbin?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.