[Tutorial] Wheel rigging, setup and fault finding.

lo-fi

As it says on the tin :) A re-record of the Twitch steam, but with the stuff I missed.

This covers the stock ModuleWheel, set up the stock fashion and elaborates on the well known post here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/72120-Wheels-and-their-Unity-hierarchy

An excellent source of further information can be found here, along with a rigged scene that Spanner has kindly provided: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83200

Edit: I'll package up the materials used in the tutorial for download tomorrow at some point.

Edited by lo-fi

To calculate a more realistic centre of mass you can create copies of all your relevant meshes in Blender, arrange them into a half compressed state, join them into a single mesh, and in the Tool Shelf click "Set Origin" > "Origin to centre of mass". I then usually snap the cursor to the nearest centimetre in all dimensions and set origin to 3D cursor. This position should be relative to your static mesh.

Attach and stack nodes are easier to set up with the recently fixed transform-based NODE{} definitions.

It's very nice of you to re-do this. You've earned a green cookie and a link has been added to the dev compilation.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

Ah, that's a nice way of doing it. I need to look into the new NODE method, I noticed in your thread the other day. I was going to post the trig, but you'd got it sorted by the time I got to setting up the equation. I suppose that could be a tutorial in itself..

Ooo, cookies! Om nom nom. Cheers, hope it helps a few people. I'll be doing more, I quite enjoy making tutorials :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.