EVA view without fixed up and down.

haltux

Hello,

I am really upset with EVA controls : there is an up and a down, which are either planetary up or planetary north, and no way to actually feel like you are in space where there is no up and down, no way to approach any spaceship the way you want.

Chase view should do the job, but somehow it does not work.

Here is my proposal: "Q" and "E" should control kerbal rotation around an axis that goes from the back of the kerbal to the front of the kerbal (therefore perpandicular to your screen, considering you generally look from behind). The view should follow the Kerbal like it does for ships in Chase view.

Unless someone give me a solution or tell me that it has already been done, I would like to develop a mod that solves this problem. However I have never developped any KSP mod. Could you give me your opinion on the development of such mod? Do you expect it to be easy? How much time do you think it would require for an experience developper that starts from scratch?

Any comment would be appreciated.

YES! I would 100% support this mod. There are no mods that do this to my knowlage. What you are proposing seems relitivly simple, but it all depends on your experience. "experience developper" I am assuming you mean that you have used C# before or have coded for a game before. If that is what you mean that this shouldn't be really that complicated. If i could add my 2 cents I would quite like a fps style control system. mouse controls yaw and pitch with Q and E controling roll and WASD and Shift/ctrl controling translation.

Long as there's an easy toggle hotkey between the two modes. I'd actually like to see a toggle like that which isn't bound to a button click in the IVA as well, which a small cross-hair in the middle of the screen to help in manipulating IVA controls with the view still attached to the mouse.

But that's a task for later. I'd definitely love for some EVA FPS-style controls. This would especially be nice with first-person view mods.

Eventually, while we're on it, allowing for an FPS-style control of your ships movements, while still allowing RCS-balancing mods to function (such as mechjeb's balancer) would be awesome for those of us who just can't seem to get a handle on the separate controls for translation.

Edited by Gaalidas

• 7 months later...

thanks for this great tutorial, i am making a halo ghost, and i was wondering i there was a way i could intergrate your repulsors into the model, is there some game object i need to add to get a slightly compressible frictionless game object, and is the re a way you coud add a bit of friction?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.