[0.14 stock] Deimos II

screenshot44y.png

It has finally arrived!

The Deimos II is an upgrade from its predecessor, as it now comes with RCS and has better flight handling.

Toggle the first stage at T-00:00:06 for main engine start, count down to zero, and launch! 8)

Flight tips:

* This craft relies on SAS to avoid spinning out of control. Don\'t try to fly it with the SAS off (except for the roll maneuver).

* This spaceship starts out with a pitch-down tendency, reversing to a pitch-up tendency around 6km (this is when you do your roll maneuver).

* During the later part of the ascent, you will need to throttle down to avoid overpowering the SAS units, so keep an eye on it.

* Tap the \'f\' key for pitch changes.

Good luck, pilots! I look forward to reading your flight reports.

screenshot43f.png

some more pictures:

screenshot48w.png

screenshot45f.png

screenshot46rt.png

Here\'s a video of me flying it:

Be on the lookout for Deimos III when docking is implemented.

• 3 weeks later...

There is now a video available to watch in the main post on how I get this into orbit.

Haha, I can\'t tell you how annoyed and ready to scream about inaccuracies when it said 'Solid Rocket Booster Separation'. - It said 'Side', not 'Solid'... Sorry! ???

I wish we had longer-burning stock boosters!

For Deimos III, are you going to remove the rocket on the external tank? It might take some balancing wonders, but hopefully you can utilize the magic of gimballing engines. Maybe if you use a tricoupler the combined gimballed power would be almost enough to keep it somewhat stable; anyways, the proper Space Shuttle has 3 engines.

Also, try to remove the little fuel tank on the shuttle and replace it completely with rcs; it\'s a bit more accurate to the proper shuttle.

I know it\'s not meant to be an exact copy, it\'s just I\'m wondering how possible these things are with our current stock parts.

Haha, I can\'t tell you how annoyed and ready to scream about inaccuracies when it said 'Solid Rocket Booster Separation'.

I wish we had longer-burning stock boosters!

For Deimos III, are you going to remove the rocket on the external tank? It might take some balancing wonders, but hopefully you can utilize the magic of gimballing engines. Maybe if you use a tricoupler the combined gimballed power would be almost enough to keep it somewhat stable; anyways, the proper Space Shuttle has 3 engines.

Also, try to remove the little fuel tank on the shuttle and replace it completely with rcs; it\'s a bit more accurate to the proper shuttle.

I know it\'s not meant to be an exact copy, it\'s just I\'m wondering how possible these things are with our current stock parts.

I never said 'side' not 'solid.'

Believe me. I didn\'t want to put an engine on the external tank if I didn\'t have to. The ship would spin out of control without it, unless I want to make it look really funky. A tricoupler would make the ship look rather odd.

I actually do have a version with no fuel tank on the 'shuttle', just RCS tanks and the small engine. Though, I haven\'t done much testing with it yet.

I can\'t wait for the C7 parts to be released with 0.15. That should open up a lot more possibilities.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.