the TARDIS and pocket dimensions (Dr who theory)

lukeoftheaura

I've got a dr who theory.

the TARDIS is bigger on the inside than the outside. I've guessed it is a POCKET DIMENSION.

this fits well with the rest of dr who, and explains the time travel.

because it is a pocket dimension, it can space travel and jump time streams.

what do you guys think?

Edited by kerbingamer376

think i like about doctor who is it plays heavily into clarke's 3rd law: "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." i like to think of time lords as the first ones of the whoniverse, or perhaps the illegitimate children of vorlons and vogons (at least thats what they are like earlier on around #4). needless to say its a great cover for all the plot holes in the series.

i think a pocket universe would be a more appropriate term. since one dimension does not a universe make (or does it, i guess things would be rather boring). if the two universes had for example a different value of c, that would make for some interesting interactions should they ever meet. especially if the difference was several orders of magnitude, a walking pace there could cross our galaxy in a couple of minutes. you might exploit the difference for spacetime travel. of course you would probibly break something important in the process.

*snip*

i think a pocket universe would be a more appropriate term. since one dimension does not a universe make (or does it, i guess things would be rather boring). if the two universes had for example a different value of c, that would make for some interesting interactions should they ever meet. especially if the difference was several orders of magnitude, a walking pace there could cross our galaxy in a couple of minutes. you might exploit the difference for spacetime travel. of course you would probibly break something important in the process.

A pocket universe would be a better term.

If I remember rightly, the TARDIS's interior is displaced slightly from its exterior through a higher spatial dimension that's normally undetectable. Which allows it to be larger while remaining reachable through the doors.

"Pocket Universe" may be an apt description. If you're familiar with the brane cosmology, then consider our Universe as one large brane, and the TARDIS interior is a second small brane floating next to it. Sometimes they're nearly touching, that's when the TARDIS exterior is materialised in our Universe, and can drag the interior around. Other times they're a little further apart, that's when the TARDIS is travelling.

The Tardis, like most of dr Who stuff is made of plot, low budget, and total disregard for consistency.

From what I remember, the cannon is that the Tardis is a separate universe, with a connection to our own through the blue box.

If our universe had only two dimensions, time and length, a giant piece of paper, the Tardis would be a post-it that could be moved around, and the area of contact would be smaller than the post it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.