Hello Everybody! Lurking is over!

Midnite111

Hello Forum people! Ive been lurking on this forum for about a week or so now after picking up the game and figuring I would look at it's community. This is the first forum I have ever really joined onto besides Reddit and it is quite a bit different so I'm excited.

Anyway I bought the game a few weeks ago (just before it went on sale. :() and so far I am not sure where to start? I tried out sandbox mode and felt a little overwhelmed by the amount of stuff there. I'm just not sure where to start really.

I noticed that this game also a very large active modding community that's grown around it, is there anything I should consider picking up to start out with?

Welcome to the forums!

To start, you might want to look at the tutorials to figure out how to build/fly. Personally, I think its more fun to crash and burn on your own, but if you get frustrated, they are always there. Career mode can help you learn about the basic parts and can gradually get you up to speed, or you can just put together random stuff in sandbox to see what happens. Just remember, a rocket needs a command pod/probe core (to pilot it), fuel and an engine. Most combinations of these parts will lead to some sort of explosion, so have fun!

For a guide that will show you 30-odd designs and 50-something missions from a simple rover to spaceplanes and interplanetary rockets you might like to look at the tutorial in my signature. Mods that I recommend there are mainly informational ones because stock KSP doesn't give you a lot of the information you need for designing vehicles - Kerbal Engineer Redux (KER), VOID (full name too long to type) or MechJeb (MJ, also an autopilot). Another very useful one once you have several flights in progress at once is Kerbal Alarm Clock (KAC), but you don't need that when you're just starting. Actually used in the tutorial are SCANSat (for mapping satellites) and Procedural Fairings (aesthetics) but you don't need either those or anything else to build and fly the craft.

I am currently updating it for KSP 0.25 though and must warn you that the trainer aeroplane is almost unflyable :-( Everything else tests ok so far.