Simple/Realistic rocket construction

This is my best effort to make a mock up of a realistic looking rocket. I looked at pictures of the Saturn V and tried to replicate the design concept.

saturnmockup.png

Now I did use user created parts but thats just cause I like how it looks. The other thing to note is that adding a third stage necessitated the addition of SRBs to get it off the ground.

I think the staging is a decent replica of how a Saturn V would have taken off. It has no SAS modules and isn't that hard to control. The hardest stage to control is the start when those SRBs are still on there. I found that mounting them on brackets a bit higher rather than even with the Liquid Motors gave better stability at the start and meant the rocket wouldn't try and tear itself apart.

I've achieved decent orbits with this. First stage gets you over 5km and the Second Stage with all that First Stage weight dropped really kicks you up into the upper atmosphere. By the time you get to the Third stage you should be over 45km and already burning to achieve your orbital velocity.

Some may not like the use of non stock parts but I think its a balanced ship that actually looks like a real rocket and doesn't actually go overboard with cheat parts. After you ditch the third stage your Spacecraft will have one tank of gas left so its not like you're gonna go for Escape Velocity too easily with that. I found that adding any more fuel tanks to the third stage or the orbital stage actually made the engines just break off the second it got onto the launch pad.

Improvements I could imagine would be adding stock SRBs, maybe 2, to the Second Stage to give it more vertical thrust for achieving extreme orbit (by basically saving more third stage fuel). I haven't tried this yet though and its a distinct possibility it could break the rocket again on the pad.

EDIT. Realized I typo'd SRB as SLB. :P

Man, people keep overcomplicating things.

Click for .craft file.

KSP%20-%20Boringly%20Conventional.png

This ship can reach escape velocity and return. If you're not carrying payload and are just interested in exploring orbital mechanics, launches, landings, and transfers, this can do literally anything you want.

Thats exactly the same as the first rocket I achieved semi orbit with. After initial experiences of mine going haywire everytime at 400m I figured it out. Course woulda helped if I'd known about SAS. ;D

Thats exactly the same as the first rocket I achieved semi orbit with. After initial experiences of mine going haywire everytime at 400m I figured it out. Course woulda helped if I'd known about SAS. ;D

S.A.S is unnecessary (although helpful) and not worth a part. The CP's own (limited) S.A.S. system is more than enough; you can in fact launch and fly that rocket entirely on manual, especially with the addition of precision control mode (capslock toggle).

'bout the only thing I use S.A.S. for these days is roll kill in orbit.

I'm using only stock parts, and can reach stable circular orbit and return safely with a realistic design:

Chute

Capsule

Decoupler

LFT

LFT

LFT

LFT

LFE + 6x (chute+SAS+SRB)

The liquid engine fires at the same time as the SRBs. I find I don't need the SAS other once I'm up to speed, and added the chutes to the SRBs so that they are recovered, like on Shuttle missions. (I know it doesn't make a difference right now, but will in the future when we have to pay for them!) This rocket looks and flies pretty realistically.