Squad, why did this update take half a year to make?

syfyguy64

All you added was a model and short animation to the buildings if something hits it, parts that already existed, and was only a matter of dragging the files to the KSP folder, and also the administration building (Which to be fair, should take half a year to tweak). But why are the models for the new building wonky? Why does the destroyed runway allow a small rover to fit snug underneath with room for a Kerbal on top? Why are resources never coming? Why did this take so long? This game is in alpha, not regular access, not beta, alpha. Bugs are prone. You should fix them, but also get rid of experimental tests. Give it to us, not someone who signed something saying you'll give them the report. It's like you guys don't even know about the very forum section you made for bugs, and how to treat them. I paid for this game to get a game that is fun to play, and constantly updated. Not a game that's fun for 5 hours and updated two/three times a year.

Also, stop forcing Mod packs down our throat. I don't want FASA or RSS or FAR, I want KSP fixed. You guys are hired by us, in a way, to do your job, which is to fix the damned game, and make it better. If it really is hard to make updates, then tell us. Tell us exactly what your doing, and issues your having. Perhaps my eyes will open, if they aren't already. But also consider this as an eye opener, because this update is the most depressing update released. No fun in it except new plane parts and updated model (That doesn't have the interior yet, even though it's based on the old one, and is only a matter of pushing internals in). At the very least release a bug update once a week, and maybe a fairing, or internal once a month, along with large updates at the normal pace. At least you'll seem busy, and that's all I want.

You paid a pittance for a game in a WIP state. You got your money's worth within the first few weeks, easily. I spend as much as this game cost me on a single entree in a restaurant, which I enjoy for… minutes.

How much of your allowance do you feel was wasted? Two weeks?

Your claim of being their boss is pathetic, really. Grow up. You might consider reading a style guide, as well, I recommend Steven Pinker's book.

why would you play with mods other than chatterer? the game is adequate as is. I jest, I jest

and you really shouldnt imply that they arent busy. scroll back through the devnotes and see what they go through in an update cycle.

Uhm, software development is a very complicated affair. It's not just plugging in some new assets and say some magic words and good to go. Stuff get optimized, rewritten to accommodate new functions and new stuff added. The point is not so much how many new features and assets that get included in a new major update, but that the new update conforms to the roadmap the developers have set out for the finished product. We're in early on an ongoing project. It is not as if we bought into the new billion dollar flashy iteration of CoD or something such trivial. We bought into something different - better. An indie studio with patience and no set deadline. And thanks to us, the funds to complete their vision. So it may take a while, that is fine. Patience padawan :)

I'm very pleased with .25, as it seems a lot more stable than .24.2 _and_ the new features gives a hint of what to come as they get fleshed out. Besides the little things like crew transfers, more parts to play with and so on.

I honestly don't care about the complex code, just inserting the models seems trivial to Squad. It's like they put in models where they think they should be, but never check (See destroyed runway/administration collide), they just hope it works and know one notices.

It seems that various forum posters have jumped on this before the mods could get to it - no surprise there. And they've answered pretty much all of the OP's questions too.

As for Experimentals, I have that as part of my position here. Believe me, you don't want to have to deal with some of the bugs that have occurred before the builds get nicely stable. Spaceplanes exploding because you engaged ASAS? Yeah, no. Whatever you see in the release versions is incredibly mild compared to the horrors I've witnessed, and if you do find bugs that haven't been reported, we have a support section for modded and unmodded installs that is there specifically for making Squad aware of problems so that they can prioritise and deal with them as they come up.

Of course if you really want to deal with the unmitigated terror, keep an eye out on the Daily or Announcement forums. You'll find applications for experimentals crop up every now and then, and the team can always use useful bug testers. The main reason for keeping those builds under wraps is precisely because of the instability mentioned above. If that sort of thing went live, these forums would probably collapse under the strain of the complaints, and nobody wants that.

And with that, I think this thread is done.