Salutations, fellow Kerbals!

Xannari Ferrows

As you probably just saw, Salutations! I'm fairly new to kerbal space, and decided this was the place I would start. I'm starting a mission to the Mun as a first right now, and may get to a planet later. Since I have real world knowledge of spacial mechanics and rocket science, I think this game should be relatively easy. Any recommendations for a first planet to go to?

Well, other than that, glad to be here!

Mun flyby is the easiest mission, followed by Minmus landing. Beyond Kerbin-system Ike (Duna's moon) and Duna itself are the next easiest to reach. Moho is the hardest planet to get to (highest deltaV requirement and all that) but has the most frequent transfer windows. Tylo is the hardest to land on (highest gravity without an atmospher), Eve very difficult to take-off from again. There is also no transfer-window for Eve or Eeloo for quite a long time.

Go to Dres when you can, it doesn't get much love ^^.

(You might not want the tutorial and designs but if you download the PDF from the link in my signature there is a table of deltaV requirements for various missions in Appendix 2, right at the end).

Alright. So I have suggestions for Duna (not directly, but I just want an excuse to go), and Dres. Why don't I do both? It'd be fun. I'll upload some pictures of the mission later!

I might try Moho as well, but I'll think about that.

I should also mention I went ahead and got Infernal Robotics, because it looks extremely useful.

Edited by Xannari Ferrows
I needed some extra information

The Duna mission is complete! Well, not exactly, we haven't made it back, but we've dropped the rover onto the surface, and have achieved a stable orbit with our capsule! I'll put the rest of this mission on hold for now, but we'll continue... sometime. Most likely tomorrow.

I've got a few pictures from the mission. Here's our rocket in the construction hangar: I don't know the scaling of pictures on the website, so sorry if this ends of a little big or small...

Rocket%2BVAB.png

Yeah, we ain't doing any of that docking halabu! (New vocabulary I invented) We're going straight for Duna, right out of the hangar!

Duna%2Bto%2BKerbin%2Bpositioning.png

Turns out I went at a pretty bad time! Maybe I should have spent some time to dock... oh well. I'll figure something out...

If you're wondering about the Kethane symbol at the top, I'm not the only one who plays Kerbal space in this computer, and they got the Kethane mod apparently.

Duna%2Bencounter.png

After a bit of playing around with maneuvers, we managed to get a decent encounter. Took me nearly 17 minutes to get this right.

Duna%2Bis%2Bwithin%2Bsights.png

We're near our encounter node, and turns out we can see Duna, and all her beauty from this far away. Let's take a moment to appreciate this sight...

Orbital%2Binsertion.png

We've hit out encounter, and had the Delta-V to get into an orbit, but let's take it one step further...

Rove%2Bdrop.png

Let's de-orbit ourselves! You probably think I'm crazy, since this isn't a lander, but refer back to the first image, and it'll all make sense.

Re-orbiting.png

What's that extra orbit, you say? That is our rover! It's been hitching a ride with us all along! We've air-dropped it, and kicked ourselves back into orbit.

Landing.png

And here it is landed! I call this the unflippable rover! This is why I got infernal robotics. I attached the wheels to IR Rotatrons, so if it flips over, the bottom becomes the top! It's not a perfect rover, but it is stable and has all the science you need.

So yeah, that's my second mission. Let me know what you think about it, and let me know what planet/moon to go to next!

Wow! Amazing!

You just said you gonna acomplish this Duna mission sugestion and when i return to the forum you already done da mission!

Happy halabu! :D (Is this the Kawaii island kerbal dialect?)

Edited by Nahim

Oh crap. I'm sorry, everyone! I promised the Duna mission would be completed today and I nearly forgot! I'll have my souvenir pictures posted here soon, them move on to another mission, which will be in an entirely new thread, and my logbook. Check back very soon for the mission results!

Alright! After a long, super tedious process of micromanaging, simulating, and messing around with maneuver nodes, we finally completed our mission! Here's some shots I took along the way:

First%2Bmanuever.png

After some time spent off camera roving around and collecting some science, we head back to the spacecraft that made it all possible, and set a maneuver to return to Kerbin! Many of you might be wondering why I didn't pick up the rover, and that is because of 2 reasons:

1. This isn't a lander, and is equipped with neither the gear, nor delta-v to land and retrieve it.

2. Although it is actually possible to hover above the surface and pick it up, as I do know a very efficient route to take, we would miss our launch window, and run the risk of messing it up.

Bye%2C%2BDuna.png

After completing our maneuver, it is time to say goodbye to Duna and Ike. But hey, look at the bright side: I left the rover, so eventually we'll have to send out a retrieval mission! It's like a planned it all along... (Or perhaps it's just something I observed after doing a bit of math and realizing I couldn't go back for it, but let's pretend I planned it all out beforehand just so I don't look like I have no idea how to play this game.)

Kerbin%2Bencounter.png

A fair amount of time has passed, and we are at a position well suited for a Kerbin encounter. If we weren't running low on Delta-v, this would actually be a great time to go to Moho. But alas, we do not have infinite delta-v.

Kerbin%2Bis%2Bwithin%2Bsights.png

As we've entered the sphere of influence, we can see Kerbin far off in the distance. We're going a little fast for a landing... (Okay, far too fast)

Better start up those engines!

Uh-oh%2Bout%2Bof%2Bfuel.png

A bit of a hitch in the plan, here. I'm well out of fuel! Well darn. Guess monopropellant is my only option, so we'll roll with it. This'll be a while, though...

Oh%2Ba%2Bmun%2Bencounter.png

After an absurdly long time spent holding the H key, I noticed we can go to the Mun. I spent a lot of monopropellant trying to avoid the encounter, thinking it would throw us our of proportion. After considering our options, though, I realized it might actually help us...

Awsome.png

And sure enough, I was right! This maneuver has kicked our periapsis below 70 kilometres, and we are set up for a relatively aggressive aerobreaking maneuver, which will surely take several passes, so I'll be right back...

Finally.png

Needless to say I was here for a long time... Well, at least we're guaranteed to get back now.

Touchdown.png

...by which I mean landing in the water, apparently. Oh well, nothing exploded, so that's a step up.

So yeah. My second mission, I'd say was successful, especially now that we get to go back to Duna to get our rover. I just love how Duna looks, regardless of being there only one time. That says a lot for what's left in stock!