[Proposal] Kerbexperience

landerote

Hi All,

After being away from KSP universe for a while, I decided to reinstall everything recently, but I'm still missing some characteristics, so I decided to give me a chance with C# and try to develop something. Of course, This is just an sketch, and what I would like to know is if somebody is already working in something similar or if somebody with better programming skills than mines is interested in developing this.

The idea is to make kerbal's experience matter in game. When you are running a space program, is not very logical to hire the first person that is around and send him into an interplanetary trip to Jool. So the idea is to be forced to train kerbals and make them gain experience so that they can lead a mission. Below, the main ideas:

1.- First of all, a file of all kerbals with their achievements and their experience, with suborbital flight hours, orbital flight hours etc. I like the idea of Nereid and his Final Frontier, so I don't know if it would be better to develop something from 0 or integrate with it.

2.- Make kerbals unavailable for hiring , and introduce a new "training facility" (ok, probably just a window) where we would hire the kerbals and put them to train, till the gain experience enough to start flying. Only in that moment they would be available in the roster. Hiring would have a cost, training would have a cost, and the stupidity of the kerbal would determine the time need to gain experience.

3.- Make the experience count for flying different vessels. In this case a Newbie would not be able to fly alone, and he could not be able to fly in orbital flights till he wins his "wings". Also, the experience or the media of the experience would be critical to fly vessels above a certain of TWR for example. To make this, in case the conditions are not fulfilled, we would make the ship not controllable.

4.- I would like also to integrate something like Dang It! from Ippo, but making the failure more possible depending on the media of experience of the crew (media). The reparations also would need a minimum of experience.

I think this would make the game interesting for many reasons. The first one, you will care more about your kerbals, and the timing to develop your program will be also affected by the need of training. You will need also to work in different type of missions so that your kerbals gain experience, and you will need to make missions with experience guys and newbies. No way of sending a mission to Duna on the third day of the game... (unless you send the three tenors, but the cost would be to stop the rest of your program).

Additional features, for a second stage:

- Crew morale, affected by confined space, company and time, so that you need to give them a lot of space if you are sending them in a long mission. This we could make it taking into account ships crew capacity and number of kerbals in the ship, and also his courage (resistance to go mad).

As I said, this is just an initial idea, and I will need to make a lot of research, so don't expect results soon. I invite everybody to share their thoughts and advises, and to pick the idea if somebody thinks they can make it happen.

Regards!

I would absolutely love to have a mod which does this. That being said, Squad did mention that they would be implementing experience for kerbals in the near future. Maxmaps promised a reveal, (most likely later today) of what's coming down the pipeline in 0.26 so we might see it mentioned there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.