Flickering shadows

Hi everyone, ever since updating to the newest KSP (0.25) all of my craft have been showing flickering shadows while my other installs don't. It has been doing this even in my pure stock install. I've tried switching from Fantastic rendering to good etc but the shadows are still doing flickering. Any tips?

I experience this too, both with a stock and modded copy of .25, the shadows appear through the actual mesh of the model, I'll grab some screenshots of it when I get home.

You too hunh? Jeez does anybody else have this problem?

I believe we have the same issue, though I see those sometimes flickering shadows (especially during timewarp) for quite a long time so I just stopped paying attention. Experiments with settings and mod had no effect. Problem concerns shadows on piloted vessel cast by its own parts (like wings and other stuff), usually it occurs when under bright light (and usually on LKO, but this may be a coincidence).

I experience this too, both with a stock and modded copy of .25, the shadows appear through the actual mesh of the model, I'll grab some screenshots of it when I get home.

If it looks anything like this:

wVGksjH.jpg

(See the dark area in front of the cockpit - which appears to be the front wall of the cockpit piece), then the cause was the KVV mod. Once I removed that, things went back to normal (and KVV was the only mod I had installed)

I still get flickering shadows though. (usually when close to sunset/sunrise) - that's been pretty much constant since I started playing KSP.

If it looks anything like this:

http://i.imgur.com/wVGksjH.jpg

(See the dark area in front of the cockpit - which appears to be the front wall of the cockpit piece), then the cause was the KVV mod. Once I removed that, things went back to normal (and KVV was the only mod I had installed)

I still get flickering shadows though. (usually when close to sunset/sunrise) - that's been pretty much constant since I started playing KSP.

No in my 0.24.2 install I have NO flickering shadows and it is even MORE heavily modded than my 0.25 version.

wow, I'm not the only one (yay) - I too experience this issue (linux x64/radeon though) - exactly like Batz_10K's screenshot

Distro and Kernel?

Only asking because a combination of Xorg 1.16, Kernel 3.17, and Mesa 10.X has some good improvements for the Radeon driver. Manjaro with all of that is really close in performance to Mint 17 with Catalyst. Manjaro Linux x64 w/ Catalyst driver from Ubuntu 14.10 (it's the only Catalyst driver that supports 3.16+ kernels and xserver 1.16; in the Manjaro repos as default Catalyst driver and AUR as catalyst-test for Arch users). Kernel 3.18 should bring us an even better Radeon driver. It's currently in RC1.

I've never noticed this issue with Catalyst or with Xorg/Kernel/Mesa/Radeon all being updated to damn-near bleeding edge.

If you run the Radeon driver, it's best to be using a really up-to-date distro like Arch, Manjaro, or Debian Sid because driver updates come in the form of Kernel/Xorg/Mesa updates. If you use the Catalyst driver, it really doesn't matter as much because driver updates come from AMD and don't normally rely on bleeding edge stuff. That said, with the right combination of stuff, bleeding-edge + Catalyst is the best for gaming, though it can be unstable. Hopefully we'll be getting the Catalyst 14.10 or 14.11 beta driver soon. The 14.9 driver release, while good, was a bit lackluster; likely because it's both a WHQL driver and designated as Linux stable.

Distro and Kernel?

archlinux - so linux 3.17 and mesa 10.3.2 - afaik as up to date as you can get without [testing]

EDIT: I just read that KVV might me the cuplrit ( in the post with the picture ) - I will try this with KVV removed

Edited by birdspider

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.