far rocketry

Wow. Ok. Yes, that is your exact problem. With FAR enabled, with or without DREC, you must key your TWR to no more than 1.42 at liftoff. For optimal fuel efficiency, try to key all subsequent stage TWRs to match across stage events. In other words, if MECO is at TWR 2.0, do what you can to tweak the next stage's TWR to the same number, since I've found that mid-launch aerodynamic failures can be made more likely by herky-jerk G-force changes across stage events, moreso than actual high G-load. (High G-load itself is a problem for DREC, but that's a separate issue.)......(SNIP)

All good points but IMHO there's an easier way.... MJ's Ascent Guidance has a box to limit acceleration. This effectively controls the TWR of all stages in the rocket for as long as you have this box checked. So enter something like 15m/s^2, which is about like having a TWR of 1.5. Works great without all the fiddly design work in the VAB and, but unchecking this box once you're high enough, you can build your upper stage(s) with high TWRs for use in space once you've left the FAR Demons safely behind :).

All good points but IMHO there's an easier way.... MJ's Ascent Guidance has a box to limit acceleration. This effectively controls the TWR of all stages in the rocket for as long as you have this box checked. So enter something like 15m/s^2, which is about like having a TWR of 1.5. Works great without all the fiddly design work in the VAB and, but unchecking this box once you're high enough, you can build your upper stage(s) with high TWRs for use in space once you've left the FAR Demons safely behind :).

i started doing this and changed my gravity turn to being more gradual, i also added more SAS my rocket is a bit wobbly but i can space it still. thanks for all the help

i started doing this and changed my gravity turn to being more gradual, i also added more SAS my rocket is a bit wobbly but i can space it still. thanks for all the help

In FAR, with MJ my gravity turns typically start at 1km and use a 70% curve, which I find works quite well. I also typically put the 4-way RCS thrusters at the bottom ends of all stack stages and 2-4 of those little round RCS tanks on the top stage (more for 3.75-5m rockets), which is more than enough to last through the ascent. This seems to help control wobbles better than just torque.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.