Space Race docu-drama series

GoSlash27

Apologies if this was already posted and I missed it. Pretty good documentary miniseries of the American/ Russian space race from the last days of WWII to the Apollo program. It mainly follows Von Braun and Korolev and their challenges.

4 part BBC miniseries, 4 hours run time.

Best,

-Slashy

I watched this twice this year only last week i finished watching for the second time. I enjoyed it even the acting was quite good in a way of visualising the events that happened. Part 1 is sorta slow off the mark in a way but its very detailed and is not bias in any form.

-L3GO

Thrilling! And wow, I never knew that von Braun chose slave labor to build the V2s. I wonder why.

EDIT: From what I read on Wikipedia I infer that he likely believed that even protesting the use of slave labor would have lead to his death.

-Duxwing

Edited by Duxwing

I already watched it but I'll be damned if I don't watch it again. Brilliant mini-series.

I don't have the inclination but if someone would maintain a thread (maybe a sticky?) full of space-related documentaries, that would be great. Let's make it happen.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

I watched this twice this year only last week i finished watching for the second time. I enjoyed it even the acting was quite good in a way of visualising the events that happened. Part 1 is sorta slow off the mark in a way but its very detailed and is not bias in any form.

-L3GO

That's funny, because I literally did the same thing you mentioned. Great series, although unlike the "Cosmonauts: How Russia Won the Space Race" BBC video, this one seems a little biased against the Soviet program (i.e. lighting, mood, etc...).

I already watched it but I'll be damned if I don't watch it again. Brilliant mini-series.

I don't have the inclination but if someone would maintain a thread (maybe a sticky?) full of space-related documentaries, that would be great. Let's make it happen.

In that case, I have a couple additional favorites:

From the Earth to the Moon. HBO miniseries documenting the Apollo program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZEZnnxTI4I

And also Moon Machines, the Science Channel back story of the pieces of the Apollo program. It covers the nav computer, the F1 rocket engine, the rover, and other key elements.

Best,

-Slashy

Slashy, if you're active on the forums why don't you turn this thread into a docu-thread? You and others can link to videos in individual posts, and you can copy the links to your OP with a short description.

From the earth to the moon is also a great series. I watched it twice already.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

All of these series are very good,Iv'e probably watched the bbc space race 3 times now :S, I do know of another soviet drama film though. It's called Gagarin:first in space, I haven't seen it but apparently it's like the soviet version of The Right Stuff.

There's another one I hadn't seen before focusing mainly on the Soviet program:

"Cosmonauts: How Russia Won the Space Race"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKkGPVtaVZQ

Quality on YouTube is not great, but if you are in the UK you can watch the full HD version via BBC iPlayer at the moment.

Not only that, but the audio is bugged from 40 minutes in (ish) to the end. The last 15 minutes are silent.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.