Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

This mod looks AMAZING! I downloaded all the required folders and transferred them into my Game Data Folder for KSP version 1.0.4. When I load the game, it keeps crashing or freezes completely during loading miltiple times. Checked the settings and log files and it appears that they are no error messages I could find. Could you please tell me what problem this is and how it can be fixed? This mod is too good to resist!

Thanks

Please use CKAN to make a clean RO install with just the required and recommended mods--none of the 'suggested' part packs. Use the 2048 textures from Real Solar System. My guess is you're running out of process memory.

If the problem persists, please upload your log file. See here for details: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229-How-To-Get-Support-%28READ-FIRST%29

This mod looks AMAZING! I downloaded all the required folders and transferred them into my Game Data Folder for KSP version 1.0.4. When I load the game, it keeps crashing or freezes completely during loading miltiple times. Checked the settings and log files and it appears that they are no error messages I could find. Could you please tell me what problem this is and how it can be fixed? This mod is too good to resist!

Thanks

If your using Steam - right click on the KSP and select properties. Then select Set Launch Options. Type this in "-force-opengl" I have lots of mods installed and this is the only way the game will run. I use RSSTextures4096 as well.

If your not using Steam then you need to Setup up a shortcut with the "-force-opengl" Google how to do that.

Hello,

I bet this question was already answered here but I cant find it using the search bar.

How can I change the status of my propellant from "unstable" to something better? To minimize problems concerning the right propellant / engine combination, I have chosen to start with the prebuilt rocket "Kerbal X". But at start I have unstable propellant, even if I wait 1 minute to let it settle down. Other people on YouTube e.g. can start much earlier.

If I start nevertheless it says "vapor in feedlines, shutdown". What can I do against it? I have tried it with the prebuilt Kerbal X rocket and I tried an own rocket approach (liquid H2 / O2 fuel and engine), both result in the same problem.

Greetings

Quaditz

How can I change the status of my propellant from "unstable" to something better? To minimize problems concerning the right propellant / engine combination, I have chosen to start with the prebuilt rocket "Kerbal X". But at start I have unstable propellant, even if I wait 1 minute to let it settle down. Other people on YouTube e.g. can start much earlier.

If I start nevertheless it says "vapor in feedlines, shutdown". What can I do against it? I have tried it with the prebuilt Kerbal X rocket and I tried an own rocket approach (liquid H2 / O2 fuel and engine), both result in the same problem.

Welcome aboard!

The solution for this is ullage motors. A tiny bit of acceleration is needed in zero-G to settle the fuel so that the main engine can pump it, you can use RCS or small SRBs to do this just before igniting the main engine.

Hi, thank you for your answer :) Makes totally sense in zero-g moments, but I have this problem at the very start :( So I guess this is a bug then? Even if I start with solid boosters first and then activate the liquid engine in the air (under high g forces) the liquid engine gives the vapor problem comment....

Ok after trying a few things the game didn't even react on my mouse input anymore, so I restarted the whole PC instead of just KSP as before.

However, now the start is working correctly. So if you have this bug just try to reboot your PC first ;)

If your using Steam - right click on the KSP and select properties. Then select Set Launch Options. Type this in "-force-opengl" I have lots of mods installed and this is the only way the game will run. I use RSSTextures4096 as well.

If your not using Steam then you need to Setup up a shortcut with the "-force-opengl" Google how to do that.

Thanks 4 the set launch command. I copied it into the Steam Sel Launch options for KSP and it had solved the game crashing, however, it takes an x number of hours to load when launched. Is this a temporary occurence of the new command or a bug? Also, are they any other commands for set launch options to make my KSP game load successfully.

thanks

Hi guys, absolutely love RO. I was just wondering, I don't see Deadly reentry in the recommended or suggested mods. Does that mean that DRE became obsolete after 1.0 ? Or is it not compatible with RO yet? if it is obsolete, are the default aerodynamic heating settings realistic ? Thank you !

M@. Deadly Reentry is once again compatible with current KSP, and will be added back.

R_Aerospace: Wlecome to the forums! Parts are sized to their analogs. So a Mk1 pod, whose analog is obviously Mercury, is sized to be about 2m in diameter, whereas the LV-T30, whose analog is the LR105, is sized to be true to its analog.

Please use CKAN to make a clean RO install with just the required and recommended mods--none of the 'suggested' part packs. Use the 2048 textures from Real Solar System. My guess is you're running out of process memory.

If the problem persists, please upload your log file. See here for details: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229-How-To-Get-Support-%28READ-FIRST%29

Thanks for the advice, but since i am a Mac OSX 10.9.5 user, the current CKAN link for a Microsoft windows computer provided by another friend of mine is not compatible for Mac (obviously), so there is a Mac version of CKAN called 'Mono'. Is this the same installer for the RO mods, even though it has a different name? Also, does existing mods from the Curse website or even KSP default parts folder have to be displaced out (tranferred onto a memory stick) to reduce RAM consumption?

Link to Mac version of CKAN: http://www.mono-project.com/download/

Thanks

Hello!

I'm having some trouble with the RL-60 engines: despite being attached to a pressurized tank and propellant flow being listed as "very stable", they're not igniting without fail on ascent. I'm using a cluster of 8 as a second stage.

Sometimes I'm getting the "vapor in the feed lines" error that usually accompanies unsettled fuel - despite having been pushed by the first stage just moments before.

Any ideas? Am I missing something about how "fuel settling" works? :)

EDIT: Also, what's the deal with pressurized tanks? Should I need to use RCS to boost forward and settle that fuel? Aren't there supposed to be like ... pumps in there, for that? :D

EDIT #2: I made it to space anyway! Still proud every time I make it in RO :P

MBwdek3.jpg

Edited by boosters++

Aluminum Oxide: CKAN is a Mono application. That means, just as Java applications require a Java install (but will work on any computer that has Java installed) CKAN requires a Mono install. Install Mono, then install CKAN and run it. There should be a guide on the CKAN thread or on the CKAN repo.

You will definitely want to make a clean KSP install (no mods) before starting installing Realism overhaul, and you should select no part packs from the Suggested tab, only those mods that CKAN already defaults to installing.

boosters++: I'll check that out. That seems another case of the "says stable but vapors out" bug...

That said...it's time for another Exciting Episode of The Myth that Just. Won't. Die.

Think of an aerosol can. Just because you pump it full of nitrogen doesn't mean that you're any more liable to get 100% paint than if it had no nitrogen at all. Without something separating the pressurant and the propellant, you're going to get pressurant as well as propellant...unless you apply a force such that the heavy propellant goes to one end, and the light pressurant goes to the other.

Further, all tanks are pressurized. Note that RF (on right click) doesn't say Pressurized: True/False, it says Highly Pressurized: True/False. There's pressurant in the tanks of pump-fed engines too, just the tank's at a lower pressure (say, 2atm instead of 20+atm).

That said...it's time for another Exciting Episode of The Myth that Just. Won't. Die.

Think of an aerosol can. Just because you pump it full of nitrogen doesn't mean that you're any more liable to get 100% paint than if it had no nitrogen at all. Without something separating the pressurant and the propellant, you're going to get pressurant as well as propellant...unless you apply a force such that the heavy propellant goes to one end, and the light pressurant goes to the other.

Further, all tanks are pressurized. Note that RF (on right click) doesn't say Pressurized: True/False, it says Highly Pressurized: True/False. There's pressurant in the tanks of pump-fed engines too, just the tank's at a lower pressure (say, 2atm instead of 20+atm).

Thank you for this helpful explanation. Now I'm wondering: where's the tank that works more like a syringe than an aerosol can? :D

More specifically: is there any way to ensure reliable ignitions without using RCS/ullage motors to "shake the can" in the right direction? I'm doing alright with RCS and a hotkey set to "activate engines" (though I feel like I'm flicking a lighter for a very important cigarette), but with engines with 1-3 ignitions, that seems like a bad (albeit kerbally) solution.

Edited by boosters++

Some engines do use bladders, yes. (All RCS, for example.) The Generic Thrusters do (they're basically just big RCS anyway). Dragon01 pointed out the LMAE did (we need to fix that in RO), and there are some others. But in general you'll want to use either RCS, or sets of small solid motors as ullage motors.

The upcoming RF will make this easier by disabling natural diffusion when you're under any thrust at all; right now it's very hard to ullage heavy stages without, say, solid ullage motors.

But the simple answer is: yup, you make it stable with RCS and then ignite. :)

Crossposting here:

Probably the hardest thing I've ever done in KSP: Use an unguided, solid TLI burn to get a lunar impact. I'm rather proud. RO/RP-0.

The rocket was a 2x LR79 first stage, Agena A second stage. Parking orbit of about 230x220km. The probe was a 20in X-Ray core plus 4x Comm16 and a couple 1kg science experiments in addition. The TLI stages were 1x Baby Sergeant and then 6x Baby Sergeant. I had to create a maneuver node of precisely the correct m/s delta V from the kicks (it took some doing to figure out how much kick the decoupler gave too...) The whole Agena+kick+payload was spun up by onboard RCS about a minute prior to TLI, then separated at T-10 (i.e. no more yaw/pitch/roll, just ability to stage), first stage fired at T-7, second at T+1. The result is the second picture.

qZ2RKp8l.jpg

SR53MgIl.jpg

EDIT: ignore the "dV expended", there's an MJ bug.

Edited by NathanKell

NathanKell, I was wondering about something. Basically, I had an idea pertaining to RO, and it may have already been brought up in the past so if it has I apologise. But should I ask about it here, or could I PM instead? I'm fine with whatever is better for you.

I don't want to draw ire or take up too much of your time since you spend a lot of it working on many great things. :sealed:

Man, I typed something really long up but I am not sure how to express it in words now. I started thinking I hadn't really thought all the ramifications through, and while it'd be great, I'm sure there are reasons why it might not go smoothly.

Basically the idea was to have a thread à la 'Get your mods compatible witih RO' / How-to / Share Configs (for modders who agree / have ceased work on a mod, etc.).

I've had to tweak a lot of configs personally to get them working right for me, and I imagine you and Felger can't do it all either.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.