Community Mun Base 2.0

Just a question: How tricky is it to line up and land at the landing sites from a direct descent? I\'m kinda new to Mun landings (My Mk.50 only did the one landing before it started exploding on the pad again thanks to it killing my laptop) and don\'t really 'aim' so much as 'Pray'....might sign up for the stock base when I\'ve got some better landing skills.

Salda007 it\'s now your go.

Please see my original Post, to download the latest Persistance file.

Can members kindly inform me, when they cannot fly!

This would save holding up the Communuty Mun Base by 2+ Days.

Thanks.

Just a question: How tricky is it to line up and land at the landing sites from a direct descent? I\'m kinda new to Mun landings (My Mk.50 only did the one landing before it started exploding on the pad again thanks to it killing my laptop) and don\'t really 'aim' so much as 'Pray'....might sign up for the stock base when I\'ve got some better landing skills.

I\'d definitely recommend practice. You can always download the current persistence file and practice landing near the bases.

As for aiming, that\'s all down to shaping the orbit before you ever begin the landing. I usually do some burns right after I enter the Mun\'s SoI to pass over the target site at a altitude, either set up to crash some distance after I pass over the site or set up with a fairly low Pe right over or near the site. Then I do corrective and braking burns around 100 km to be over the site at around 10 km up, and go from there with a normal landing as I\'m passing overhead.

Salda007 it\'s now your go.

Please see my original Post, to download the latest Persistance file.

Ah! Didn\'t see this until just now (yesterday was my first anniversary ;D ). At the very least, I should be able to get a Munpod up tonight, if not something more elaborate. I\'ll let you all know tonight if I will need an extension.

BTW, what\'s the policy on lower stages left in orbit? Leave \'em or clean \'em? My standard booster tends to leave stages behind; I can either 'end flight' them or leave them in.

Cheers!

Ah! Didn\'t see this until just now (yesterday was my first anniversary ;D ). At the very least, I should be able to get a Munpod up tonight, if not something more elaborate. I\'ll let you all know tonight if I will need an extension.

BTW, what\'s the policy on lower stages left in orbit? Leave \'em or clean \'em? My standard booster tends to leave stages behind; I can either 'end flight' them or leave them in.

Cheers!

Hi Salda007.

I hate skipping members, but it\'s a necessary evil for this Mun Project too progress.

But I am NOT skipping you, since you requested more time under the rules.

Take your time, an land what your happy with.

As for lower stages, Leave-em. They help tell the story of your voyage.

- Happy Anniversery.

I\'m sad to report the loss of Dunny, Dunler, and Patsen Kerman, while attempting to land at LZ-Charlie. The sloped terrain proved too much for the lander legs, which led to a catastrophic slide down into the ravine, resulting in the loss of the crew and vehicle. A replacement flight is being prepared, with the launch scheduled for tomorrow evening.

(That\'s what I get for trying to bring a nine-tank lander to the party. Some little RCS-based bug would\'ve happily perched on that slope like a goat; mine just did a Jack & Jill impression. It\'s almost 2am here, I\'ll try again tomorrow after work. And probably shoot for LZ-Alpha instead; that looks like it has nice, level terrain...)

(Edit: Bravo is not Charlie.)

Aww bad luck Salda, I was reluctant to take my craft there as well due to the slopes but I\'ll make sure my next one goes there, as like you say, something light can handle the dangerous terrain at LZ3 (I think it\'s Charlie?)

When landing at Landing Zone Alpha + Bravo.

Be sure too take your time, an orbit the Mun until your prefared LZ is in direct sunlight, making distance judging far easier.

- Sadly LZ Charlie at the South Pole, NEVER gets direct sunlight. One of the reasons it\'s for more advanced pilots.

Secondly ALL Landing Zones are on very slight gradients.

Not by design it\'s just the way of the Mun Surface.

So landing at Less than 1m/s is advised, an try to remove all Horizon drift, as it WILL break Lander Legs or Winglets.

Sorry to see you failed. Better luck tomorrow/today!

I\'d definitely recommend practice. You can always download the current persistence file and practice landing near the bases.

As for aiming, that\'s all down to shaping the orbit before you ever begin the landing. I usually do some burns right after I enter the Mun\'s SoI to pass over the target site at a altitude, either set up to crash some distance after I pass over the site or set up with a fairly low Pe right over or near the site. Then I do corrective and braking burns around 100 km to be over the site at around 10 km up, and go from there with a normal landing as I\'m passing overhead.

This is what I do, with great success so far. Set up an orbit that passes directly over your chosen landing site, then do a retrograde burn so that your orbit 'hits' the surface a few tens of kilometers behind the target. Then when you\'re almost above the target spot, do a retrograde burn until the retrograde marker moves to the 'top' of the navball, i.e. so that you\'re falling straight down. After that, it\'s just minor adjustments, and if you have enough fuel to hover for a bit you can just fly around and pick your spot :).

This is what I do, with great success so far. Set up an orbit that passes directly over your chosen landing site, then do a retrograde burn so that your orbit 'hits' the surface a few tens of kilometers behind the target. Then when you\'re almost above the target spot, do a retrograde burn until the retrograde marker moves to the 'top' of the navball, i.e. so that you\'re falling straight down. After that, it\'s just minor adjustments, and if you have enough fuel to hover for a bit you can just fly around and pick your spot :).

Sounds like a perfect landing!

Prefarably set down, when its day light + at less than 1m/s drift!

So you want on the stock list?

Any progress update Salda007?

Sounds like a perfect landing!

Prefarably set down, when its day light + at less than 1m/s drift!

So you want on the stock list?

Any progress update Salda007?

Sorry for the delay; I keep making stupid mistakes. I\'ll be out of town over the weekend, so if I don\'t have something up by tomorrow afternoon, I\'ll pass my turn.

Success! Munbase-3 has landed at LZ-Alpha. The save file is attached.

screenshot48-1.png

To anyone else heading for LZ-Alpha: you want to inch your way across the 200m mark; there is a whopper of a lag spike when it loads the other ships.

(Also, it looked like there were explosions by a couple of the other ships, but they seem to be OK; I didn\'t check them out directly, though...)

Success! Munbase-3 has landed at LZ-Alpha. The save file is attached.

screenshot48-1.png

To anyone else heading for LZ-Alpha: you want to inch your way across the 200m mark; there is a whopper of a lag spike when it loads the other ships.

(Also, it looked like there were explosions by a couple of the other ships, but they seem to be OK; I didn\'t check them out directly, though...)

Thank you Salda007.

Hope you had fun, an a interesting ship. The first to use alternative engines...

Do you wish too book another flight?

- As for the explosions:

It would seem, my APOLLO-01 craft, has toppled over! >:( However Jeb an Co. Seem happy enough with that (There not getting home)?

An Awaras Craft Horizon, has nose dived into the terrain, breaking the parachute module off!

I have kept archieves of older persistance files, who is capable of editing in Salda007\'s New craft into an older File. Keeping both damaged ships intact!?

Or just move on!?

Please put my name in the list to land something at the base. :)

Are we allowed to land more than one craft? For example, several small solar arrays?

Adding you now, once I update the First Post.

No, one flight window = one Craft launched an landed.

The only exception to this has been me, I launched 3 craft in my last window, to setup the other two landing zones (Bravo/Charlie)

I did not see my Palomino in the screenshot so I expect it has vanished due to bugs, I\'ll have a go editing the save if you like.

Yikes! Good spot!

It would seem that the explosions Salda reported, could have been your ship exploding! (Not blaming Salda.)

If you dont mind, can you please edit these two persistance files together, an repost with merged version!

1st is the original (Last Stable)

2nd is newest from Salda (Catistrophic failures)

Can you please add Salda\'s ship, to the first persistance file, if you know what I mean!

im wondering if i could be added to the list please :)

Adding you now!

All vessels now appear to be in one piece except the TNT, aptly named it seems.

The primary LZ is now far too slow for me to land at again, so I\'ll avoid it in future.

Thank you, Sal_vager.

With your help, this community project can continue! :)

May I ask, what system specs your running, so I can generally gauge the break off point, for members with slower systems!

(Not to discourage, more advise members)

Apotheisis its your go again.

Please see my original post with Latest Persistance file.

Post is still under construction...

My system has not been upgraded in a long while, I have an Athlon64 3700+ with 2.5 gigs of ram (probably mismatched) and a Radeon HD 4850 with 512 megabytes.

OS is Xubuntu 12.04 using Wine to play windows games.

I kinda gave up on big industry games at Fallout 3, Oblivion and Deadspace, and now just play abandonware, Indie games, games from my large collection and stuff from GOG.

My system has not been upgraded in a long while, I have an Athlon64 3700+ with 2.5 gigs of ram (probably mismatched) and a Radeon HD 4850 with 512 megabytes.

OS is Xubuntu 12.04 using Wine to play windows games.

I kinda gave up on big industry games at Fallout 3, Oblivion and Deadspace, and now just play abandonware, Indie games, games from my large collection and stuff from GOG.

Not ancient spec\'s by any standards! Certainly makes a good desktop system. An was top spec 3-4 years ago. :)

But as you rightly noticed, with a Landing Zone with 300+ Parts, construted over 8 ships. It really hammers the cpu...

Thanks Sal_vager. Certainly safe to advise Laptop users to stay well clear of LZ Alpha.

It tortures my laptop too 1FPS slide show. :\'(

Thank you Salda007.

Hope you had fun, an a interesting ship. The first to use alternative engines...

Do you wish too book another flight?

Sure! I\'ll probably try something a bit smaller and at another location, but I\'ll have another go!

But as you rightly noticed, with a Landing Zone with 300+ Parts, construted over 8 ships. It really hammers the cpu...

Eh-heh, and mine brought another 65 to the party... :-[