GTA San Andreas 10th anniversary + HD release

42undead2

As some may know, this date marks the 10th anniversary for GTA San Andreas. On this occasion, there are some events and extras for GTA V Online, but Rockstar are also releasing GTA San Andreas in an HD version for XBox 360 (And PS3/PC in the future I assume). Priced at $3.74, it's worth every dollar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCSavWgVicc

I still prefer GTA:SA over all the rest. IMHO, it has one of their best storylines and the best leveling mechanics out of them all. To me, the GTA4 and GTA5 leveling mechanics feel like dumbed-down versions of the GTA:SA mechanics.

I would rather have Red Dead Redemption for PC over GTA:SA....but that's just me.

Have to wonder why it's taken so long, as it's essentially a licence to print money.

And for the record:

Vice City > San Andreas > Vice City Stories > GTA III > GTA IV > Liberty City Stories > The bowels of Hell > Red Dead Redemption

Have get to buy GTA V after the soul-destroying disappointments that were GTA IV & RDR. It's also still quite expensive. Haven't seen it below £27 yet.

(Note that these are just my opinions, but they are also facts).

Have to wonder why it's taken so long, as it's essentially a licence to print money.

And for the record:

Vice City > San Andreas > Vice City Stories > GTA III > GTA IV > Liberty City Stories > The bowels of Hell > Red Dead Redemption

Have get to buy GTA V after the soul-destroying disappointments that were GTA IV & RDR. It's also still quite expensive. Haven't seen it below £27 yet.

RDR isn't the best....I'll even say that the basic Rockstar engine just sucks period, but how many decent open ended cowboy games are there?

Rockstar games need a FPS view. Third-person auto-aim games just aren't very fun to me...once ya learn the mechanics it ain't nothin but roll, auto-aim, tap up on R3, shoot for head shot, rinse, repeat, dive for cover, regen health, start over.

I'd love a cowboy game that has Fallout or Elder Scrolls inspired open-ended worlds with BF or COD styled shooting mechanics and a decent 3rd person view for platforming mechanics.

Dear Squad,

Please consider my cowboy game idea after ya'll finish KSP. You'll make a lot of money. We all want a good cowboy/wild west game.

Sincerely,

Skeevy

The PC version has no auto aim, but its so much easier to aim with a mouse than a thumb manipulated joystick.

I don't see how you can say vice city was better than SA....

SA is so much more "open", it feels so less restrictive: you can go swimming in the water, you can pan the camera to look where you want when walking or driving. You've got a map and can set your own waypoints. You can climb obstacles. You can skydive and control your fall.

SA introduced many gameplay improvements over vice city. All vice city introduced relative to GTA was helicopters (SA: fied wing aircraft, VTOLs, JETPACK), revenue generating property (SA-Gang-Turf), bodyguards (SA: gangmembers, more rep = more recruits, they can shoot from inside yoru car).

SA also had more varied locations.

The leveling system was meh... it just gives you incentive to dally around doing other stuff before starting the story line.

The GF mechanic was ... meh... it had some nice perks, but was a bit annoying.

I don't see how you can say vice city was better than SA....

SA is so much more "open", it feels so less restrictive: you can go swimming in the water, you can pan the camera to look where you want when walking or driving. You've got a map and can set your own waypoints. You can climb obstacles. You can skydive and control your fall.

SA introduced many gameplay improvements over vice city. All vice city introduced relative to GTA was helicopters (SA: fied wing aircraft, VTOLs, JETPACK), revenue generating property (SA-Gang-Turf), bodyguards (SA: gangmembers, more rep = more recruits, they can shoot from inside yoru car).

SA also had more varied locations.

The leveling system was meh... it just gives you incentive to dally around doing other stuff before starting the story line.

The GF mechanic was ... meh... it had some nice perks, but was a bit annoying.

In most technical aspects, San Andreas was a better game. I still prefer Vice City though. The lights, the colours, and the best soundtrack to any video game in history just made it special:

Also the protagonist wore an Hawaiian shirt.

And for the record:

GTA III > GTA IV?!!!!!

really?!!!

GTA IV is the best open world pc game by far (until V is released)

stunning attention to detail

good characters

good car and bike handling (unlike watch dogs)

moddable

euphoria physics

the list could go on

but by no stretch of the imagination could gta 3 ever be considered better

GTA III > GTA IV?!!!!!

really?!!!

GTA IV is the best open world pc game by far (until V is released)

I feel sorry for you that you've never heard of Just Cause 2. :(

I put IV behind III because of what a colossal let down it was. After Vice City & San Andreas it should have been a true epic of a game. It wasn't.

I feel sorry for you that you've never heard of Just Cause 2. :(

I put IV behind III because of what a colossal let down it was. After Vice City & San Andreas it should have been a true epic of a game. It wasn't.

I really don't know what your issue was with 4, I had 0 issues

and with an ENB it looks as good as any game to date.

I really don't know what your issue was with 4, I had 0 issues

and with an ENB it looks as good as any game to date.

Dull, unmemorable grey city with no character.

Horrible characters, especially Niko.

A focus on "gritty realism".

Poor music & poor radio in general.

Annoying friends.

Almost completely ignored comedy.

No aeroplanes, tanks, trains, jetpacks or other fun stuff.

Just a general lack of fun things to do. I played Vice City for countless hours after completion. Same with San Andreas, Just Cause 2 & Driver San Francisco. That's what a great open-world game should be like.

I think it can be summed up in one aspect of the game - you get a 4-star wanted level for entering the airport. That's a big chunk of the map - and one of the very few unique areas - completely off-limits. Why? What possible reason could they have for doing that other than to add a layer of tedious realism.

If you like it, then that's fine. But you're still wrong. :P

Dull, unmemorable grey city with no character.

Horrible characters, especially Niko.

A focus on "gritty realism".

Poor music & poor radio in general.

Annoying friends.

Almost completely ignored comedy.

No aeroplanes, tanks, trains, jetpacks or other fun stuff.

Just a general lack of fun things to do. I played Vice City for countless hours after completion. Same with San Andreas, Just Cause 2 & Driver San Francisco. That's what a great open-world game should be like.

I think it can be summed up in one aspect of the game - you get a 4-star wanted level for entering the airport. That's a big chunk of the map - and one of the very few unique areas - completely off-limits. Why? What possible reason could they have for doing that other than to add a layer of tedious realism.

If you like it, then that's fine. But you're still wrong. :P

nah, I'm not :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.