Unity 5 Possible Release date

Hopefully they will not do that, because it would be a terrible idea to rush it like that, extremely bad software engineering practice. KSP should progress with beta 0.90 as planned, running on Unity 4. Unity 5 should come after that, allowing time for Unity to fix bugs in their 5.0 release, and Squad time to do the job properly, rather than rush it out the door. Stock KSP doesn't actually need the upsides of Unity 5 urgently, but can benefit from them in the long term, with a careful and considered transition to it.

Your assuming they haven't done anything yet. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, pre-orders have access to a beta version, which means Squad has likely already done a lot of the work and is holding it until they can appropriately (and legally) release it. Maxmaps said in a Squadcast that Unity 5 gave a massive performance increase, but in order to know that they would need to have it running.

As was pointed out earlier in this thread, pre-orders have access to a beta version, which means Squad has likely already done a lot of the work and is holding it until they can appropriately (and legally) release it.

Yeah, since about 4 days and that's definitely not enough time. Before it was a closed beta.

It is perfectly legal to release games running on non closed beta Unity versions, don't know where you have that from.

Yeah, since about 4 days and that's definitely not enough time. Before it was a closed beta.

It is perfectly legal to release games running on non closed beta Unity versions, don't know where you have that from.

I was referring to the closed beta. That was my point, we don't know who was invited to it, but if I had to guess I would say most if not all established Unity game developers were likely invited... including Squad.

• 1 month later...

Don't know if I'm too late for this thread - but the only indication we have for a release date is GDC (March 2-6). That's when it was announced earlier this year and for UT not to have released it by then would not be their proudest moment.

Edited by cantrbe

• 4 weeks later...

The release notes for beta-21 are still pretty big, I would expect the number of fixes per iteration to go down a bit first

I'm assuming there will be a few Release Candidates signifying Unity Technologies thinks it's basically ready to go out the door

It would be nice to hear from someone inside the Unity 5 Beta Program about the actual state of affairs/readiness though

I hope It happens soon, as It could fix a lot of RAM issues that the game has.

Misconception: Unity 5 does not equal perfect 64bit client. Unity 5 adds a 64 editor (that is the development environment) allowing for more complex projects to be worked on. It has absolutely nothing at all to do with KSP x64.

Of course, there is the possibility that Unity 5 games themselves will run better in win64 mode than they do now. But no part of Unity 5's announced features guarantees (or even strongly suggests) this.

Of course, there is the possibility that Unity 5 games themselves will run better in win64 mode than they do now. But no part of Unity 5's announced features guarantees (or even strongly suggests) this.

I think the volume of complaints in the Unity 5 Beta Forum would be deafening if the win-x64 situation remained as flaky as the unity 4 one

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.