How do I leave Eve?

Eve takes more dV to launch from than kerbin. In fact I think it takes about 3 times more. 4500m/s to launch from kerbin. 12000m/s to launch from eve. If you check the challenges thread you can find some examples of ships that have launched from eve. I've done it..... once was enough.

You're going to need a multi-stage monster to exit Eve atmosphere, particularly if you do so from sea level. With stock aero, you're probably looking at an asparagus-staged pancake for maximal efficiency and a wide landing base: try to land it on elevated terrain, so you've got less souposphere to fight through. Eve ascents are one of the most difficult things in KSP, so don't feel disheartened if you can't manage it. One important consideration: you probably do not want to try a direct return from Eve; you should rendezvous with a separate return stage in orbit, Apollo-style. This keeps you from needing to bring the return stage down, and then painfully bring it back up through Eve's atmosphere.

With FAR/NEAR, stuff gets very interesting, because the ascent stage should preferably be slim and aerodynamic, but you still want a wide landing base so as to avoid tipping over; the probable solution to that would be having most of the ascent stage be a narrow rocket, with its first stage being a short but very wide landing base.

shameless plug: Look at vessels that made it.

The_Eve_Rocks_Challenge_badge.png

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/95642-The-Eve-Rocks-Challenge

You must be able to maintain TWR=2 for about three minutes, or TWR=1.3 for about five minutes, or anything in between, just to get clear of the worst atmosphere; the delta-V figures for this part of the ascent may vary wildly. After that, you need another ~5000m/s to make orbit. You also need a pretty high TWR all the way. On Kerbin, you can easily get away with TWR<0.5 on the upper stage. On Eve, that doesn't work so well; you should have TWR~1 even for the last 2000m/s.

In other news ... Man wanders into trap, wonders why he can't get out of trap ... Eve's a TRAP!

Not teasing you Bob, Eve's just like that. So big, inviting and easy to get to. Getting off the surface is a whole different game though. Just so you feel a bit better - I've never done it.

An Eve "lander" is the biggest lander you'll make for any body in the system. Using stock parts, you can get under a hundred tons if you're clever. Many landers weigh more, some a lot more. Dropping dead weight is key, such as staging all your parachutes and landing legs as soon as possible. Plan on at least six or seven stages during the ascent. And Laie knows what he's talking about in terms of the amount of time you need to be at each TWR to make it back.

I like to think that the Kerbals, though lacking in common sense, are at least intelligent. Rather than spend a fortune of Kredits building a ship that can return one man from Eve's surface, I think they'd just look for applicants with the right combination of courage and stupidity to become permanent colonists :) That's the approach I'm going for- set up a surface base and periodically send them shiny new toys to play with.

You need an efficient lander, that doesnt waste fuel during landing, so go for a chute assisted landing. And you need a very large amount of delta V... around 10.000 m/s to make it back up. Personally, i prefer smaller landers with less parts. Makes it more easy during ascend. You can take a look at my Eve mission profile, by selecting the link in my signature, if you like.

Leave Eve? You don't. Accept its warm, crushing embrace. Become one with the purple.

X4c8d3Dl.png

PSST! If you're willing to break a few the laws of physics to get home, check the link in my sig.

Edited by Tw1

Some general advice for Eve return:

- Bring up nothing you don't absolutely need. Leave the landing gear, chutes, science equipment, etc on the surface.

- Learn how to use asparagus staging, it is more difficult using other methods.

- Aerospikes are your friends.

- Leave your return transfer stage in orbit and rendezvous/dock with it after ascent.

- Climb straight up to 30km before starting the gravity turn.

- Keep below terminal velocity, this is even more important than on a Kerbin ascent because of the thicker atmosphere.

The problem is all inside your head

She said to me

The answer is easy if you

Take it logically

I'd like to help you in your struggle

To be free

There must be fifty ways

To leave your lover

[CHORUS:]

You Just slip out the back, Jack

Make a new plan, Stan

You don't need to be coy, Roy

Just get yourself free

Hop on the bus, Gus

You don't need to discuss much

Just drop off the key, Lee

And get yourself free

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.