Logless sandbox fun [Album heavy]

Kamuchi

Having my KSP saves nuked several times, 0.25 was sandbox mode that I never done befor.

Doing it like this will also help if something goes wrong with the save, it`s easy to rebuild and works cross versions/mod changes.

No logs, no science, quick saves and only kerbals that jynx my flights will die a permanent death :huh:

However, having played science a dozen times, this time with all the parts available I`m just going to have some self complicated fun.

Albums I keep per mission/bad idea so it will grow with or without a post, will try to add a finish note when closing a project ;)

Hate it, like it or love it what ever! I`m having a blast!

Starting to lose track and don`t want to post in "what did you do today" every single day with heavy albums that just keep growing the next day or days after I kick ksp to the side from failure frustration.

Hope you will enjoy my failures, stupid idea`s and "wth? it worked!" moments;)

Lets start with the first one for 0.25, a Karbonite mining truck to work as a mobile fueling truck or build a base around it, it`s sitting idling doing nothing on the Mun at Alpha base.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

*Finished

Going the next step, build a truck able to move base modules into place after receiving them from Kerbin and start building.

*Finished

As the idea worked, get my hands dirty and send all the rest of the stuff up.

*Finished

Getting IXS and mess around with it abit (orbit building EL/IXS is still planet, only at Minmus)

*Finished

Discovering RetroFuture and everything changes, I love it! It`s awsome!! With IR it`s brilliant!!!

*plug* http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84054-v-25-RetroFuture-v1-7-The-RPM-Experience

Now that we have some great scifi parts and onsite building to get rid of the annoying Kerbal massive laggy liftoff stages, lets have some fun!

Cargo ship to shuttle stuff from the initial Mun base to Minmus where we`ll build the big stuff.

*Pending till done screwing around again, will await am update notification :sticktongue:

Befor going to Minus, there is a small hinder with communication and will need something to deploy satellites...

*Finished We all know how satellites look and work so they will popup some day asif by a magic trick :)

Time to start packing some stuff

*Pending as EL isn`t working in 64bit, this will turn into a rocket spam from Kerbin again.

As the cargo ship didn`t exactly worked out and the satellite was abit of a loading problem, next great idea!

After the first version fail, I found something that solved all crash issues in 64bit for me!

*Finished as a fail, will just use modulair ships for SOI operations

Using amd cards and CCC:

Add a standard profile for the 64bit executable: disable crossfire for it.

Ksp: disable full screen

Shortcut add after the path: -popupwindow -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded

No idea why, how or ... but been now playing 2 solid days with only 1 one crash.

If it works for you then awsome! But milage my vary or burn your pc, house & pet down.

So running with a growing mod folder again, :cool:, decided to add Kerbin side, build a spaceplane and go exploring :P

After building and flying it for hours, I love this little bugger and only needs a docking port refit with rocket engine and maybe a vtol.

*Continued as I`m having a blast :D

Rabble for some simple tracking of adding/updating albums for every one to see on a whim.

Last edit: 11-12-2014 initial post, ~3 weeks of play time

Edited by Kamuchi

Having my KSP saves nuked several times, 0.25 was sandbox mode that I never done befor.

Seriously? You've never done sandbox before? Geez, now I feel old, and I'm nowhere near an old-timer here ;).

It's funny how people have different persectives on the game. Because I came up with sandbox, able to do whatever I wanted from the get-go, I see the game as having no endpoint. To me, the goal is to pick some grandiose goal and go do it. Having to deal with the tech tree thus to me is like being 17--you know you're able to do all sorts of adult things but the law won't let you. So, I get it out of the way as soon as possible to get on with the big-boy stuff I really play the game for. Yet others see finishing the tech tree as the culmination of the game and they start over once they finish it. Strange :).

Anyway, nice stuff you're building here. See, grandiose projects :).

The big project was to use EL to build a base and from there move on to populate the system slowly instead of spamming rockets from Kerbin all over the place.

The idea of having to construct and move core modules from one planet/mun to the next for base building befor I could even continue looked like fun, and it was untill fixing my 64bit install and EL being disabled :/

While the mod list grew yesterday and having fun, 2 days ago I did get a new idea to replace EL while seeing a pretty picture :)

Q7EBdhK.png

Np2oTLh.png

1 black hole later, and 2 more solar systems were born :D

Exploring Kerbin`s system while trying to figure out how&where to build towards leaving the familiar place.

OVwrUcF.png

Think I`ll add Interstellar now aswell :)

Watching Das Valdez stream yesterday for a couple of hours, decided to skip a few steps in my plan and also go and grab me a roid :P

Instead of sending a probe I`m sending a base core where stuff can be connected too.

Using high isp engines was a good idea so I wouldn`t have to drag alot of fuel along, just using ion engines is a disaster when doing it with an asteroid :x

It`s still burning for 1h:39m...

11/15/14: a ton of pics added, still going

11/16/14: added more pics and still going strong, with failures...

Edited by Kamuchi

After a couple of days working on the asteroid base, I`ve discoverd an annoying bug in win 64 and maybe even win 32:

Using kas struts will make the claw detach after restarting ksp, first time it happend I thought it was just a glitch, but after adding another claw part with struts, the entire station started to disintegrate as the asteroid wobbling made strutted parts slam into each other ;.;

The entire album is in the post abouve but here is the complete fail in short :)

First time the asteroid let loose, it losing a kas strut on the surface I know now it actually broke:

ojxK3Xm.png

The second time was after strutting the rear part but with no tanks attached, the weight wasn`t a problem yet.

Adding the tanks increased the mass and strain on the struts greatly, so after adding the front section, strutting it and restart ksp it all went crapiola :/

3fIe9G1.png

KfxyIKW.png

The damage was so extensive from the tanks slamming into it that some strutural nodes gave way for the entire thing to swing back and forth, wich was the most dissapointing actually as it ment a complete loss...

BKIQrmg.png

DasValdez Kermin&Co did not die with the crew compartments still intact, so a rescue mission will be setup to bring them to orbital safety befor even more stuff goes boom :)

The station idea I like, so instead of building it around an asteroid, it will be built as one part (except the tanks, wich will be probes) for it`s original purpose of a RemoteTech communication and refeuling hub.

The asteroid however... no idea.

Maybe leave it as Kerbin`s tiny new moon and try a new asteroid base idea on a class E, 1 claw and no frigging struts connected to the asteroid as this is causing claw fails :D

Also with my new hardware in, rebuilding the pc into a new case with an entirely rebuilt wc setup will make some good time to figure out how to fine tune some details :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

So back on my new pc, wich was a nightmare to build and with a new install starting from scratch as I didn`t have much done besides some Mun work.

Still some work to be done, but as I was over 3 weeks or so with no pc, getting the cables connected was nearly impossible, stuff it all in and play! :D

Preliminary results untill I can be arsed to spend days trying to get my best result on a quick and dirty overclock http://www.3dmark.com/cg/2312444

Case: Phobya WaCoolT Cube 1 Medium Watercase Black

Mobo: Asus Rampage 5 Extreme

Cpu: i7-5960X

Ram: 16gb 4x4 Ripjaws 3000mhz 15-15-15-35

Gpu: 4x XFX 290X DD

Psu: Evga 1300w & coolermaster 1000w gold

C/Winhoze: KINGSTON SH103S3120G

D/games: Kingston HyperX 240gb 555/510

E/blackhole: Seagate ST3000DM001-1CH166

Cpu: Swiftech Apogee HD

Gpu: 4x XSPC Razor R9 290X / 290

5x EK-DCP 4.0 PWM X-RES incl. pump

5x XSPC EX360 Slim Line Triple Fan Radiator

Feser One Cooling Fluid - UV BLUE

15x Aerocool DS Edition 120mm Fan - BLUE - EN51585

Playing with the KSA Science Turkey and basic jet ssto, going to have abit more fun doing it different :)

The KSA ssto Turkey with basic jets, first attempt was with turbo jets, second one was challange complete. http://kerbalx.com/crafts/420

Playing with another design

The KSA Mun homework, was for beginners but couldn`t resist :)http://kerbalx.com/crafts/212

Getting killed during the KSA Korion launch boat deployments... Das, duck!

Having fun with ssto and getting new parts, lets have a test.

Works great so time to give it a go, vtol ssto spaceplane with cargo room to deploy a small geo sat.

After deploying 3 geo sats, it`s time to rebuild the half exploded asteroid base, minus the asteroid :D

Almost forgot my KSA Korion launch boat entry http://kerbalx.com/crafts/498

TsOTzrt.png

Edited by Kamuchi

Started a new career to make a Jool transfer station abit more fun and ofcourse the easiest way is to take a science lab with you every where :)

Science Turkey meets terminator&star wars :rolleyes:

I love vtols :D

SMQztyW.png

DzSayhz.png

Z7eV35N.png

Mun orbital science lab, with return stage to recover funds

OeyBsvd.png

aSgbZTh.png

The minmus science vessel with lab & tug

kM7jtEA.png

MikNS4u.png

xPxWFBw.png

5TKtDsR.png

ertcjtN.png

Side trip to the Mun for the tug to finish a contract

hVIeDKR.png

Second tug heading off to minmus with 2 little SAS&goo pods as I forgot them

OckMyYC.png

Sun, Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, ship and a heap of science :D

wPf8t9b.png

tbWt97x.png

j3W6TKg.png

6YEZHkf.png

f72EkLT.png

Starting to think how to use the tugs to tow cargo&fuel around the Kerbal system and planning a cheap permanent but modulair space station as a transfer station to do science around Duna and a bigger version for Jool

92tpkDP.png

ZBy8P8S.png

9MO9tuV.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.