[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Confirmed, the issue persists with RCS turned off. any other ideas what the problem could be? It also seems to affect Mechjeb; smart ASS only sometimes works and the maneuver node editor's 'execute node' never works.

Could it be due to the placement/type of my RCS thrusters?

I know the little red dots on the map are launch sites, but how do I use them? I have been able to in the past but i cannot figure it out in this version. Help please!

Close, the red dots are ground stations for remotetech. According to this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/RealSolarSystem/comments/3d125s/how_do_i_switch_launch_sites , you need KSC switcher from here: https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/749/KSC%20Switcher to change launch sites.

Guys, I need your help. I'm sorry if I'm just stupid, if this is the wrong page or if I'm the 1 millionth Kerbal to ask this, but I don't get how the engines are working - or better said: not working.

I did this yesterday:

- a clean KSP install

- CKAN.exe in the KSP directory

- installed with CKAN: Realism Overhaul, Real Solar System and FASA (because all I want to do is fly an Apollo mission)

- Started the game and did a new Sandbox save game

Everything is working fine, KSC was located at Cape Canaveral, solar system waiting for exploration, ... I took the FASA pre delivered Apollo Saturn V rocket, didn't changed a thing and got it running.

Engines started, had a lift off and put her up in the sky. I played around a bit to get feeling for the sizes (all new and big: planet, rocket, etc.), see what is different, test how the Saturn V reacts to steering and how the different stages were set up. All working perfectly.

So I reset the launch and tried again, this time trying to get the correct angel for the moon and such - but I was unable to start the second stage's engine: "vapor in feedlines, shot down!"

I tried 10 times, but nothing helped, stage II and stage III only came up with the failing message.

So I restarted KSP and tried again, started nicely and had a save game made before I decouple the fist stage with F5.

And guess what: all worked nicely, second stage engines started as they should with their blue flames and on it went.

I wanted to see if this was just coincidence and reloaded the save game from before with F9 - and suddenly nothing worked anymore. First stage engines got shut down after loading with the message: "no ignitions remaining!"

Decoupling first stage and trying to start the second stage's engines resulted in the usual "vapor in feedlines, shot down!"

Nothing worked anymore, going back to KSC and try again didn't help either.

So I restarted the program again, and guess what: yes, it is working - but only the first time. Trying to reset the launch or loading a save game with result in a desaster, as no engines work anymore then.

So, please tell me: what am I doing wrong? Or is this some kind of build in punishment for people using save/load game or trying several launches?

Guys, I need your help. I'm sorry if I'm just stupid, if this is the wrong page or if I'm the 1 millionth Kerbal to ask this, but I don't get how the engines are working - or better said: not working. ........ So, please tell me: what am I doing wrong? Or is this some kind of build in punishment for people using save/load game or trying several launches?

Your problem is Ullage. The fuel for most rockets is a liquid and under gravity it flows nicely into the engine. However without gravity it begins to float around and your engines have trouble getting fuel, result in air or "vapor in fuel lines" and shut down to prevent damage. To solve this problem there are a couple of solutions. The first is hot staging where your second stage fires while your first one is burning. The next is ullage motors which are small engines that don't require ullage and provide acceleration to force your fuel down. The final is a pressurized bladder that you fill with helium or nitrogen and expand to keep your fuel in the bottom. I'm not sure which methods the Saturn V uses, but I will post after I boot to my Linux partition and launch the Saturn V.

Edit: The first stage engines shut down because you set your throttle to zero and when you raised your throttle the tried to start but couldn't due to only having one ignition. This involves two things, the first being that very few engines can throttle (SSME 69-109% and even less can deep throttle ( ex:RL10 8-104%) and secondly that engines have a limited number of ignitions. To solve the first problem, be sure to not set your throttle to zero after starting an engine and pay attention to what engines are throttable. The second problem is that he F-1 engines were never designed to be able to ignite after launch and other engines may have a limited number of restarts due to what ever allows ignition to occur being used up. However, some fuels are hypergolic the ignite on contact with each other and have unlimited restarts.

Edited by Redjoker

I' not sure if this is intentional or a bug. Certain engines like the J-2, used in the Saturn V upper stage, will present the "vapor in feed lines" message even if the fuel was stable prior to ignition if the throttle was set to 100%. Starting the engine with the throttle at 0% and then throttling up will allow the engine to work.

@Tekener: Until someone with more knowledge responds on this, throttle down to 0% before igniting the J-2s in the second stage, stage to ignite the engines, and then throttle up to 100%. This seems to work for me.

Edit: Had a similar issue a few days ago with the Atlas first stage, with throttle at 100% the sustainer, 2 booster engines, and 2 verniers reported "vapor in feed lines" on the launchpad, but can't get replicate the results.

Edited by Redjoker

Edit: Had a similar issue a few days ago with the Atlas first stage, with throttle at 100% the sustainer, 2 booster engines, and 2 verniers reported "vapor in feed lines" on the launchpad, but can't get replicate the results.

Also happened once to me with a certain craft during the second stage ignition, as well as once during liftoff. Might be a very rare bug, I don't think I ever got it again.

Edit: The first stage engines shut down because you set your throttle to zero and when you raised your throttle the tried to start but couldn't due to only having one ignition. This involves two things, the first being that very few engines can throttle (SSME 69-109% and even less can deep throttle ( ex:RL10 8-104%) and secondly that engines have a limited number of ignitions. To solve the first problem, be sure to not set your throttle to zero after starting an engine and pay attention to what engines are throttable. The second problem is that he F-1 engines were never designed to be able to ignite after launch and other engines may have a limited number of restarts due to what ever allows ignition to occur being used up. However, some fuels are hypergolic the ignite on contact with each other and have unlimited restarts.

Thank you for your answer and having a look at it. However you seem to missunderstood a bit my problem. :(

I'm not talking about some control actions I did to cause this, like changing throttle - for me it seems more and more like a very well repeatable bug:

- I'm not changing the throttle for the first stage engines, not touching it at all. I set them to 100% and let them burn till the end at full speed to get up into space. The issue is that they shut down themselves after loading a save game. Try it for yourself, start the rocket with 100%, press F5, hold F9 and immediately once loaded the engines are dead.

- The second stage engines are always failing after a revert to launch/reload from save game. I tried it with setting throttle to 0% and started the engines, this was working as no message appeared. But just after starting to increase the throttle (at 1%) the "vapor in fuel lines" message showed up. Also, this can be repeated as often as I want: starting a new rocket right after I started KSP is working like a charm, no issues, all is working. Once I loaded a save game or reverted the launch the next stages are always failing no matter what I try.

Edited by Tekener

Hey Guys,

I download CKAN, but when I searched for "Realism Overhaul" I found nothing... So I tried looking for all the mods listed here seperately and half of the "dependencies" aren't even there... Let alone the rest... Am I doing something wrong?

Hey Guys,

I download CKAN, but when I searched for "Realism Overhaul" I found nothing... So I tried looking for all the mods listed here seperately and half of the "dependencies" aren't even there... Let alone the rest... Am I doing something wrong?

Press "Refresh" after you started it the first time. Otherwise CKAN has no knowledge of what you have and what is available :)

Press "Refresh" after you started it the first time. Otherwise CKAN has no knowledge of what you have and what is available :)

I have done that of course. I realised what the problem is. I found a filter on the side, and it was set to "Compatible" the other Mods were "Incompatible" probably because I'm running version 1.0.0.8 or something like that. I don't want to update because last time I did my game started crashing and I had to reinstall. Is there any way to still get these Mods on my current version?

I'm sorry if I've missed it, but is there a resource for troubleshooting install problems? I installed with CKAN onto a clean KSP including all required, recommended, and suggested packages. I created a new sandbox game, and everything appears to be working fine, but when I try to enter the VAB, the game silently closes.

[HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From SPACECENTER to EDITOR (Async) =====================

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Couldn't extract exception string from exception (another exception of class 'OutOfMemoryException' was thrown while processing the stack trace)

Edit: I can open the tracking center, but trying to return to the space center overview again crashes the game. Looking at memory usage at the time, it was about 3600MB. I think it is just that the full suite uses too much memory. What can I safely uninstall to cut down on memory usage?

Edited by Kermen

Hi, I'm posting this because I'm really desperate, no matter what I do I can't use the FASA Launch tower, it automatically retracts at the moment the launch begins and it give sme no oportunity to click on the hatch to EVA the kerbals.

I tried only with FASA mod installed and it works, so it has to be a problem related to Realism Overhaul or any of it dependancies. I even tried modifying some parameters in the cfg file but there is no change, it always retracts automatically at the beginning.

Any help would be appreciated , thanks very much =)

Thank you for your answer and having a look at it. However you seem to missunderstood a bit my problem. :(

I'm not talking about some control actions I did to cause this, like changing throttle - for me it seems more and more like a very well repeatable bug:

- I'm not changing the throttle for the first stage engines, not touching it at all. I set them to 100% and let them burn till the end at full speed to get up into space. The issue is that they shut down themselves after loading a save game. Try it for yourself, start the rocket with 100%, press F5, hold F9 and immediately once loaded the engines are dead.

- The second stage engines are always failing after a revert to launch/reload from save game. I tried it with setting throttle to 0% and started the engines, this was working as no message appeared. But just after starting to increase the throttle (at 1%) the "vapor in fuel lines" message showed up. Also, this can be repeated as often as I want: starting a new rocket right after I started KSP is working like a charm, no issues, all is working. Once I loaded a save game or reverted the launch the next stages are always failing no matter what I try.

I have the same issues, both of them: reloading a savegame made during first stage ascent will exhaust the ignitions (I assume that the reloading process somehow triggers the same routines that a manual ignition would), and I rarely manage to start the second stage engines even though I make sure that the fuel is "very stable" before ignition. Triggering ignition a second time (X, Z) seems to work most of the time (so it seems obvious that it's not a problem with ullage), but of course that ruins the ascent a bit.

Experimenting around to narrow down the issue is of course not much fun if you can't reload, and thus have to wait several minutes each time for your first stage to burn out :/

I have the same issues, both of them: reloading a savegame made during first stage ascent will exhaust the ignitions (I assume that the reloading process somehow triggers the same routines that a manual ignition would), and I rarely manage to start the second stage engines even though I make sure that the fuel is "very stable" before ignition. Triggering ignition a second time (X, Z) seems to work most of the time (so it seems obvious that it's not a problem with ullage), but of course that ruins the ascent a bit.

Experimenting around to narrow down the issue is of course not much fun if you can't reload, and thus have to wait several minutes each time for your first stage to burn out :/

Yep, that's why I thought I saved the game before decoupling the first stage and had to learn that the engines are stop burning after the reload. However, if you save the game when the first stage is depleted it doesn't matter that these engines are failing ;)

But I can't get the second stage to work until I restart KSP and do a fresh launch without save games or reverts. Strange thing is that even when setting throttle to 0% and back 100% engines of the second stage are not starting. And since they work fine when I do the launch from scratch but fail to work everytime I use a save game or revert the launch, I'm now pretty sure that this is no user failure but a mod failure. :(

As far as I know this is default behaviour. You can't save while accelerating, just like you can't warp while accelerating. I could be wrong though.

Setting throttle to 0% and starting the engine is not technically starting the engine afaik. It's only when you throttle up >0% that the engine is actually started.

As for your other issue, I can only suggest ullage rockets / RCS. Ullage motors are more reliable I feel though. In 0G, fuel floats and needs a little push back down to the "bottom" where the "pipes" are. Think being pushed back in your seat when accelerating in a car. If fuel is not at the bottom, you will get the error message. For reverting to launch, I quite often get the error message, but I find loading seems to "drop/jump" the rocket on the clamps, and I would expect physics to be sloshing fuel around. Give it 20 seconds after reverting before smashing the go button.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, I'm posting this because I'm really desperate, no matter what I do I can't use the FASA Launch tower, it automatically retracts at the moment the launch begins and it give sme no oportunity to click on the hatch to EVA the kerbals.

I tried only with FASA mod installed and it works, so it has to be a problem related to Realism Overhaul or any of it dependancies. I even tried modifying some parameters in the cfg file but there is no change, it always retracts automatically at the beginning.

Any help would be appreciated , thanks very much =)

Since you seem to have half an idea of what you're talking about, I feel a bit condescending posting this, but at first glance, it would seem like staging issues?

587b16d7693a.png

As far as I know this is default behaviour. You can't save while accelerating, just like you can't warp while accelerating. I could be wrong though.

Setting throttle to 0% and starting the engine is not technically starting the engine afaik. It's only when you throttle up >0% that the engine is actually started.

As for your other issue, I can only suggest ullage rockets / RCS. Ullage motors are more reliable I feel though. In 0G, fuel floats and needs a little push back down to the "bottom" where the "pipes" are. Think being pushed back in your seat when accelerating in a car. If fuel is not at the bottom, you will get the error message. For reverting to launch, I quite often get the error message, but I find loading seems to "drop/jump" the rocket on the clamps, and I would expect physics to be sloshing fuel around. Give it 20 seconds after reverting before smashing the go button.

First you are wrong, you can save and load during launch. Try it yourself without mods, get a very simple rocket going and press F5 after lift off - it's working. Hold F9 and you're directly back at that point with engines working fine. Once you use the mod it's broken and not working anymore.

And I'm not building the rocket nor am I changing anything on the setup, as the default given FASA rocket is perfectly working after a fresh start. But once you revert the launch or load a quicksave the engines are broken. Even though I understand why you suggest usage of ullage rockets, that does unfortunately not help as this is not the point here. It's not a design issue, it's a bug in the mod I want to show.

First you are wrong, you can save and load during launch. Try it yourself without mods, get a very simple rocket going and press F5 after lift off - it's working. Hold F9 and you're directly back at that point with engines working fine. Once you use the mod it's broken and not working anymore.

And I'm not building the rocket nor am I changing anything on the setup, as the default given FASA rocket is perfectly working after a fresh start. But once you revert the launch or load a quicksave the engines are broken. Even though I understand why you suggest usage of ullage rockets, that does unfortunately not help as this is not the point here. It's not a design issue, it's a bug in the mod I want to show.

Are your engines limited to 1 ignition? If that is the case, that explains why they break upon quickloading because they are trying to ignite a second time when loaded.

I am having a lauch problem. I have the latest 32 bit ksp v 1.04 and only realism installed via downloading from github.

On loading ksp progress stops always at mk1-2 command pod. The game does not crash but the progress bar mever moves on. Ram useage is at 2.67 which i think means memory maxed out.

My laptop has no internet now so sadly sharing log files is tough.

Any help appreciated:)

Has anyone figured out how to do the Galileo mission from RN US Pack? I have been using a Titan IVA/Centuar, which is comparable to a shuttle and provides an easier launch with the Centaur. But either way the ÃŽâ€V on Galileo is insufficient to inject into Jupiter. Any suggestions?

Has anyone figured out how to do the Galileo mission from RN US Pack? I have been using a Titan IVA/Centuar, which is comparable to a shuttle and provides an easier launch with the Centaur. But either way the ÃŽâ€V on Galileo is insufficient to inject into Jupiter. Any suggestions?

Galileo flew by Venus once, and by Earth twice before it got on the Jupiter trajectory, saving significant fuel on orbital insertion. Actual numbers you can find here under the Galileo paragraph.

Since you seem to have half an idea of what you're talking about, I feel a bit condescending posting this, but at first glance, it would seem like staging issues?

Thanks for the post , I appreciate it, but I have tried different staging in different orders, no matter where I put it, it will automatically execute its stage and dissapear from the staging, even if it's at the top, it dissapears.

Are your engines limited to 1 ignition? If that is the case, that explains why they break upon quickloading because they are trying to ignite a second time when loaded.

Yes, they are. I would still call this a bug in the mod, however.

And for the second problem, the only workaround that seems to work is deactivating and re-activating the engines (wasting one of the ignitions). Nothing to do with ullage. Also seems to be a bug in the mod, maybe not restoring something properly on reload...