[Plugin,0.15] KICOIT - Kerbal Engineer 0.8, Advanced Brakes v2.1

jhultgre

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could you add 3d crosses that show the center of gravity, thrust, drag and what we have else? Whould be good for VTOL alchemists ;D

I honestly just came here to post about that :P

Especially with complex ship designs (read: Space Shuttles), getting your thrust to head straight through the CoM is crucial to efficient burns / not flipping your craft on the launch pad.

new version up it works in 0.15 but thats about it. next will be adding the atmospheric engines then a ui overhaul. After looking over the new docs I have some neat ideas that may or may not ever get implemented yea!?!!

new version up it works in 0.15 but thats about it. next will be adding the atmospheric engines then a ui overhaul. After looking over the new docs I have some neat ideas that may or may not ever get implemented yea!?!!

CoM and other features would be nice - but at least you\'ve got the thing working again. Thank you and well done sir. :)

Center of mass and center of thrust would definitely fall into the Engineers realm but they are far off after I get to what I consider a 1.0 release.

As far as dev outline

0.3 atmospheric engines taken care of

0.5 - code migration to new ksp .15 system

0.8 - ui overhaul, delta-v

1.0 - secret feature / full release

1.1+ center of mass

.3 should be this weekend since that shouldn\'t take too long

Thanks for the transparency - always nice to know what\'s around the corner. I like the idea of a secret feature too.

I don\'t use this mod for space planes yet, but I find it nigh-on indispensable for building rockets. I think I generally have a good \'feel\' for what engine/tank combinations work for certain rocket stages but this gives you the option of total precision. Makes design much simpler for novices provided they have a basic knowledge of the terms involved. I provided a link at the end of this guide (I didn\'t think you\'d mind) for that very reason!

Perhaps you should get in touch with the Squad team and see about getting this integrated into the stock game engine. When some kind of a game manual comes around and the basic terms are laid out, it would remove the need for beginners to get calculators out and prevent a lot of guesswork. As you add more features this will become even more relevant (delta-v for example; if we supply the novice with the information that it takes approx. 4000-4500m/s to get into orbit, they could build at least that amount of dv into their vehicle and have a decent chance of making it up there first time).

Integration would probably mean a whole lot more work for you... but it\'s an idea.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

I provided a link at the end of this guide (I didn\'t think you\'d mind) for that very reason!

No I don\'t mind being paired up with an awesome mod like mechjeb

On a side note I just looked at my download stats and we\'re over a thousand total downloads over all versions which is pretty cool.

Also since I\'m gearing up to work on v0.3 this weekend it would be nice to see if anyone has any bugs to report. There is one I\'m pretty sure exists but I want to know if it\'s affecting anyone during normal use in case I can just ignore it until I get to the code overhaul.

Mechjeb may get more of the limelight since it\'s more relevant to actual flight manoeuvres, but I\'d say your plugin is equally important and will become more so once more of your planned features are added.

I\'ve only noticed one bug with the latest release. One time it seemed to think I had an extra stage, though it only showed zeroed figures for that stage and did not affect anything else so I wouldn\'t call it a game-breaker.

One idea. Initialize 3 linerenderers at the beginning, then make each of them draw one axis around vessel.getworldspacecenterofmass() or whatever it is called. Should end with a coord cross around center of gravity.

Just a thought, no warranty.

v0.3 released adds color codes based on engine types in each stage

I\'ve only noticed one bug with the latest release. One time it seemed to think I had an extra stage, though it only showed zeroed figures for that stage and did not affect anything else so I wouldn\'t call it a game-breaker.

It seems that parts\' stage index isn\'t getting updated right when you delete a stage but the side bar is showing the correct stages which is weird. Looks like I need to go back over all the various stage index variables to see if there is a more accurate one.

One idea. Initialize 3 linerenderers at the beginning, then make each of them draw one axis around vessel.getworldspacecenterofmass() or whatever it is called. Should end with a coord cross around center of gravity.

Just a thought, no warranty.

The only problem with that is there is no vessel object while in the VAB. This also includes things like fuel lookups so a lot of things that the game calculates while in flight I have to calculate by hand.

v0.5 released the code has been completely restructured but no new features in this release over v0.3

If you find any bugs let me know before I move onto working on v0.8

Cool beans matey - I\'ll get it downloaded and give it a whirl!

added new plugin anti-lock brakes. See first post for details.

I left my debug key in this version (keypad 0) which turns the plugin on and off so you can compare the difference. look at the console(alt+F2) to see if they are on or off

How easy would it be to make the reverse, locking brakes? I\'d like to have an airfield where my spaceplanes don\'t go rolling around on their own.

I don\'t know I\'ll have to see if there is a way to make brakes activate from a plugin.

Is there any chance we could have a cumulative mass measurement in Kerbal Engineer? (Just add up the mass of all stages.)

All of my structural parts have an irritating habit of grouping together and they become impossible to sort into stages, and getting a calculator out while playing a video game isn\'t my style. =P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.